Why do people here hate on cherry audio?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Edited
Last edited by Vortifex on Thu Dec 07, 2023 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Not really. But thats the problem in a nutshell with social media. People think they can write whatever they want without fear of recrimination. CA is a reputable business Id suggest built up with I imagine years of hard work. Criticism if constructive is more than acceptable. So f**k the haters and f**k people who agree with them.
I wonder what happens if I press this button...

If anyone is seriously unable to determine what the problem with the way CA operates is, then their products are perfect for you. Hooray...

machinesworking wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:45 am I already own Arturia V Collection so I don't see the point.
Mostly, do we need another brand developing not very accurate "emulations" of old hardware?
No hate, just oversaturation, and honestly I think they might be the least accurate sounding emulations I've heard.

They could be great people, it's a good price point, but I just don't get it? There's aliasing and unnatural to the synth distortion all over their Memorymoog, it's just disappointing that's all.
I use them to fill in the gaps in V Collection. For example nobody has done a Jupiter-4 emulation (except Roland themselves now, but Roland Cloud is whole different topic...) so I got that. It sounds pretty good and at least reminiscent of a Jupiter-4 according to those who have one. I also got the Eight Voice which is pretty unique in the way you can program the voices individually (some plugins offer per-voice offsets, but rarely completely independent controls).
Their DCO-106 also forced TAL to step up his game and add a Reverb to U-NO-LX so that shows competition is good.

Their plugins do seem to rely on oversampling the entire signal chain to hide aliasing and other issues, which is a kind of brute force inefficient and CPU intensive method of doing things. Ideally you'd have to use 4X oversampling to get good quality but then it quickly kills your CPU as you add more instances. Better anti aliasing, ZDF filters and only using oversampling internally in the parts of the signal chain where it matters would make them a lot more appealing.

v1o wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:46 am To me they sound like bootleg VST synths. Like someone went on Fiver and hired some cheap programmers from overseas.
I disagree. Here's some info from their site:

Cherry Audio was formed by a small group of industry veterans from the likes of Sonic Foundry, Cakewalk, Bias, Acoustica, and Keyboard Magazine. Cherry Audio is backed by a real company of industry professionals, and our products are built by programmers with decades of experience creating audio and DSP software.

WasteLand wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:24 am it is KVR; always hate for some brand.. arturia, cherry audio, ikm, NI, etc. etc.

no one escapes... from KVR....

and trust your own ears, if you don't like them, don't buy them. as for all soft synths...
Truth.

I have bought their PS-20 and Stardust 201 Tape Echo. I like them both so... so far so good? 🤷‍♂️ I gotta say tho the PS-20 UI is ugly tho. The layout is similar to the original wich is fine I guess but the colours and the font are so pale it's hard to read stuff.
Techno and other adjacent genres
Horse On The Third Floor : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyL394 ... n4RdaCYHjA

briefcasemanx wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:18 am The PS20 GUI is horrendous. Its a present machine only IMO, I have never even attempted to try making a patch from scratch on PS20. I actually don't mind Polymode, I think someone complained about that ones GUI.
I 100% agree. I love the sound of the PS-20 but god damn the UI is giving me headaches. Dosen't stop me from using it but a simple fresh coat of paint would make it a lot better.
Horse On The Third Floor : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyL394 ... n4RdaCYHjA

v1o wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:46 am To me they sound like bootleg VST synths. Like someone went on Fiver and hired some cheap programmers from overseas.
If they sound bad to your ears that is totally legitimate... but I think it might be a case of your eyes tricking your ears. I avoided chery audio's stuff in the past because the UI looked cheap so I tought they would sound bad. Turns out, I like the sound of the stuff i've tried.

ramseysounds wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 11:04 am

And there was also the issue with one of their installers completely wiping out your VST plugins folder. That left a bad impression for me of their QA. To be able to sell their plugins so cheap they are obviously cutting costs somewhere.
Im sorry but comments like this are absolutely outrageous. Tantamount to slander. If he was able, I wish he’d sue you. I’m all for free speech, but if you’re going to make such ridiculous comments, let’s see your proof. And what is wrong with cutting costs? 🤦‍♂️
It is not because it really did happen. There was a release of Cherry's DCO-106 that wiped out VST folders. In your world that may be an acceptable thing but not mine.

viewtopic.php?p=7911406#p7911406
Last edited by v1o on Tue Jun 28, 2022 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

Examigan wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 12:10 pm

Cherry Audio was formed by a small group of industry veterans from the likes of Sonic Foundry, Cakewalk, Bias, Acoustica, and Keyboard Magazine. Cherry Audio is backed by a real company of industry professionals, and our products are built by programmers with decades of experience creating audio and DSP software.
I wonder who those nameless industry veterans are?
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

BONES wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 4:21 am If you want a comparison, compare DCO-106 with Softube's Model 84.
Yeah, they don't hold up to top-tier emulations, and DCO-106 is the worst one. I still like some of the other ones though. Eight Voice, Mercury-4, CA2600, and Quadra all sound good to me.
Stormchild

When they had a sale on sometime before xmas, that coincided with gforce bringing out their Windows version of OB-E. So I got the demo of that and CA's 8Voice and had them side by side. OB-E's GUI was better and yes it sounded better. Did it sound and look £100+ better? No. I went with the CA one. I also got the Polymoog, Memorymoog and Mercury4. For the sale price I considered them bargains.

Some criticisms are legitimate - but they don't justify the ugly bile and hatred that substitutes for constructive critique in here and elsewhere. And there's a lot of snobbery among some synth and VSTi users too - "your $30 synth cannot POSSIBLY be better than what I have because I spend HUNDREDS on it". Sheesh... :roll:

AdvancedFollower wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 11:52 am
machinesworking wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:45 am
Their plugins do seem to rely on oversampling the entire signal chain to hide aliasing and other issues, which is a kind of brute force inefficient and CPU intensive method of doing things. Ideally you'd have to use 4X oversampling to get good quality but then it quickly kills your CPU as you add more instances. Better anti aliasing, ZDF filters and only using oversampling internally in the parts of the signal chain where it matters would make them a lot more appealing.
This !
And still the oversampling does’t hide bad written algo’s
Ca 2600 , osc sync , cough , after 3 years they still haven’t fixed it , oversampling is not fixing poor code .
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

v1o wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 1:02 pm
Examigan wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 12:10 pm

I wonder who those nameless industry veterans are?
One was the bass player from a long forgotten 80’s band ‘Berlin’ also writing for some magazines .
Cherry mitch iirc .
Don’t know about the others , industry veterans or not ,not when it comes to analog modelling , why else would they hire a third party developer for their latest stuff ?
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

Return to “Instruments”