Is TrackComp 2 by DMG Audio the best compressor?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
TrackComp 2

But if a good soul could explain me what is exactly making the "link shape" function it could be great.
I understand that, like in the original, it filters the link parameter, but is the Low a low cut or a low pass ?

Greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Calagan wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:22 pm But if a good soul could explain me what is exactly making the "link shape" function it could be great.
I understand that, like in the original, it filters the link parameter, but is the Low a low cut or a low pass ?
This is from TrackComp 2's manual:
For extra nerdy stereo linkage options, you can tweak the Link Shape which is a filter on the gain reduction signal.

Not very illuminating.

This is from the UAD API 2500 manual:
The SHAPE switch adjusts filtering of the control signal used by the L/R LINK parameter.
Two SHAPE filters are available: HP (high pass/low cut) and LP (low pass/high cut). By
enabling both filters, a bandpass filter shape is created.
By excluding frequencies from the L/R LINK control signal, sounds in only one channel
that contain those frequencies will not cause the other channel to compress, while still
linking the preferred frequency range.
To change the SHAPE setting, click a value or click the green SHAPE switch to cycle
through the available values. The filter(s) is active when its LED indicator is lit.

The filters on the UAD 2500 are Lowpass, Highpass, Bandpass. So I'm going to assume the Low setting on TrackComp 2's Link Shape parameter is a lowpass filter.

yep, but it's not clear and it could be the opposite.

TimP Nebula comps are the best in the box comps by far, I love them. I do use my Trackcomp 2 also, though. The best algo comp, good but I wouldn't say best. I like Arthurian 76, Sta level, DBX. I like the TC2 DBX, and the Waves DBX. I could use either of the 3. I like the Waves 2500 a tad better in the tone department than the one in TC2, but I like the action a tad better in the TC2, 2500. The Waves 250 has that mid range, API tint that I love.

But as for use, My Nebula comps always come first. Timp LA2a 3a,, Lbus SSL, Varilevel Staylevel, RA6 rca comp, TLA 100, Cupwise 2254e, C660 Varimu, 33609 bus comp.... Nothing can touch the Nebula comps. I do enjoy using Nebula compressor preamps and mojo files with algo comps. For instance, I have an efx chain preset using TC2 DBX along with the Cupwise Cuptones preamp called SmackVU which is the preamp of the DBX Nebula. Also the old Signal to Noize DBX comp, just barely set to do nothing along with the DBX comps from TC2, Waves, and Arturia. So Mixing Neb pre and comp files with Algo comps gives a world of options.

I have a Signal to Noize 125 megabyte Tube Comp files, just massive tube sparkle, I match that with the Waves Puigchild and a Fairchild Nebula mojo file from Henry Olonga, 3 plugs in the chain preset, but man oh man, it's like having a real Fairchild, or as close as I can imagine ever getting to one in the box. But I have to just burn that in, which is fine

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:03 pm
TBlake wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 5:38 am I'm demoing the TC2 2k5 against the new PA SBC. I'd be interested in any 2k5 mastering starting points for acoustic or indie rock. Thanks!
There's lots of YouTube stuff out there showing you how the compressor works and various settings, not to mention presets. Just experiment. The settings from one 2500 emulation should translate well to another so you can, for example, watch some UAD API 2500 videos and try those settings out on TrackComp and see how they sound.

For example, here's one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYSjM-A9tyA

TrackComp2 Tip: if you hold down Alt on your keyboard and drag a control in TC2 that originally had fixed steps on the hardware, TC2 will snap to the stepped values of the hardware.
Here are tips about the 2500 from the guy who created it. I'd say he knows the unit well.

"One thing to remember about the 2500 is that is is a different way of doing compression. Don't get cornered into using low ratios. 2:1 doesn't do much. The hard setting is mostly for the SSL, Alan Smart users for familiarity. It pumps too much and is too detectable.

Run the ratio at least 4:1. Setting the release for some division of the meter is very smart. That is why the song "go all the way" by the Raspberries (1970) sounded so cool. The release time just happened to match the meter and gave the song a new bounce.

Use either the MED or LOUD setting onthe THRUST. This is a filter before the detector. With it in the LOUD mode, you have changed the RMS detector to see EQUAL ENERGY PER OCTAVE, much like what you actually hear instead of a super bass heavy signal. This almost eliminates pumping.

USE THE OLD MODE ON A MIX BUS!. The way the old mode works, which is why you like all the old compressors, really reduces the ratio to about 1/4th of what it is set at. That is why setting the ratio higher is OK.

Finally, DON'T BE A CHICKENSHIT! Turn it up..."

Jeffguitars wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 1:15 am
Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:03 pm
TBlake wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 5:38 am I'm demoing the TC2 2k5 against the new PA SBC. I'd be interested in any 2k5 mastering starting points for acoustic or indie rock. Thanks!
There's lots of YouTube stuff out there showing you how the compressor works and various settings, not to mention presets. Just experiment. The settings from one 2500 emulation should translate well to another so you can, for example, watch some UAD API 2500 videos and try those settings out on TrackComp and see how they sound.

For example, here's one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYSjM-A9tyA

TrackComp2 Tip: if you hold down Alt on your keyboard and drag a control in TC2 that originally had fixed steps on the hardware, TC2 will snap to the stepped values of the hardware.
Here are tips about the 2500 from the guy who created it. I'd say he knows the unit well.

"One thing to remember about the 2500 is that is is a different way of doing compression. Don't get cornered into using low ratios. 2:1 doesn't do much. The hard setting is mostly for the SSL, Alan Smart users for familiarity. It pumps too much and is too detectable.

Run the ratio at least 4:1. Setting the release for some division of the meter is very smart. That is why the song "go all the way" by the Raspberries (1970) sounded so cool. The release time just happened to match the meter and gave the song a new bounce.

Use either the MED or LOUD setting onthe THRUST. This is a filter before the detector. With it in the LOUD mode, you have changed the RMS detector to see EQUAL ENERGY PER OCTAVE, much like what you actually hear instead of a super bass heavy signal. This almost eliminates pumping.

USE THE OLD MODE ON A MIX BUS!. The way the old mode works, which is why you like all the old compressors, really reduces the ratio to about 1/4th of what it is set at. That is why setting the ratio higher is OK.

Finally, DON'T BE A CHICKENSHIT! Turn it up..."
Great tips!

Some more tips for the 2500, from the guy from UBK :
You gotta try the 10:1 on the mix. I do it sometimes, but I come at it differently, I keep the attack 1ms or 3ms and the release rreeeallly long, like 1.5-2 secs. Soft knee, normal thrust, feedback. That first db or two of GR is friggin' magic, don't need any more than that. Keep it swimming in that light reduction, and enjoy!

Or, for a different flavor of fun, open the attack all the way, 30ms, release fastest, low ratio, and just kiss that GR meter. It pulls the low end up and glues it together like nobody's business.

I've chatted with Paul about this, and the thing of it is that the feedback mode won't really ever compress more than 6db or so, no matter how hard you try. But 6db on a 2500 is a lot of squeeze, this ain't no 1176.

Feedforward is the sh¡t on hip-hop, the bass bloom moves from 'bump' to 'thump' and that's right where that genre wants to be.
More BPM please

TrackComp and Equilibrium made me realize how much I like API stuff LOL! Great tips & info :)

2nd time asking wheres dave? :)

I'm here. Slightly baffled that nobody spotted that I've been working on Serum2 for the last two years, but there you go. And it's coming along very nicely. We may get Warmth out interim. That April 1st screenshot earlier in the thread isn't far off how TrackWarmth looks, which is fun. Warmth is the big boy though. We've just switched to Apple Silicon (M1) and Intel x64 as the default installer on mac, which is a little scary, but we'll be keeping a 32bit installer around for a while yet.

Sorry to be so quiet. Had my head down. Hope everyone is hanging in there! :)

Dave.
[ DMGAudio ] | [ DMGAudio Blog ] | dave AT dmgaudio DOT com

If it please you, I have posted an entire rampage of commentary towards the end here: https://gearspace.com/board/product-ale ... -a-37.html
[ DMGAudio ] | [ DMGAudio Blog ] | dave AT dmgaudio DOT com

Spring Goose wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 11:35 pm I'm trying to decide whether to buy PSP Impressor at intro price ($20).

TrackComp 2 is what i would buy if money is no object. Maybe i'll buy it some time later.
I have DMG Trackcomp2, and I have Impressor.
If I were you, I'd save my money and go with PSP. TrackComp is awesome, but way overpriced (from my buyer's point of view, I'm sure others will know better). Honestly, between PSP compressors and U-he Presswerk that's all I ever use. And yes, TrackComp is awesome. And so is Impressor.
“In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.”

any information on trackcomp 3 yet?

Tendou wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 10:23 am any information on trackcomp 3 yet?
More models are being added to TC2, but Dave is currently working on serum 2 so that might take a while.

Return to “Effects”