Why do people here hate on cherry audio?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

chk071 wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:06 pm
Unaspected wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:53 pm Yeah. That's not what Seb said.
He said that it can't be an emulation if it is inexpensive. :o
Yes. That price is some kind of indicator as to whether something was accurately component modelled.

Free emulations must all be very inaccurate then.

Well, I don't want to be stubborn. I get the price thing, but, it has more to do with competition and being competitive than with the accuracy of the emulation. Or, being able to call it an emulation at all.

Model E was also an emulation. In 2022, it's far from being accurate.

I watch their development and these threads in general, but haven't found a particular reason to purchase their products. I have downloaded their free offerings and again wasn't compelled to buy more. The sound is good, the price is decent, however, the adage of "the cheap comes out expensive" keeps pinging in my head. The final nell ATM being the hoop of a transfer fee that can often price a second hand purchase too close to the regular sale price. And as others have pointed out, so many of their products have a coded sound that lends to a homogenized "cherry" sound.

So while not expensive, still priced too high for its marketing and transfer fee might as well make it a NFR at this point for me

And tbh, some of those companies that the "veterans" hail from have priors of nickle and diming their customers until they move to the next venture.

Definitely still watching, just haven't felt completely sold by the products or the company.

chk071 wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:20 pm Free emulations must all be very inaccurate then.
Oh. Absolutely. You've got to pay the big bucks for full resistor modelling. Very expensive on the CPU too.

To me what speaks volumes is more development time and conveyor belt release schedules. Prices are intentionally low to keep them from being held to the same standards as some of the more exemplary competition. It's sounds great for $30, think about that statement a bit...

pekbro wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:27 pm To me what speaks volumes is more development time and conveyor belt release schedules. Prices are intentionally low to keep them from being held to the same standards as some of the more exemplary competition.
I'm pretty sure it's rather to grab a piece of the market. It's not easy for a new ("new" in inverted commas) company to get on the market.

TBH, it might not be the best idea though, because, obviously, for some, "expensive" equals "quality". As this thread shows.

R&D adds cost, there's no way around that beyond cutting corners or taking a loss.

vurt wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:39 pmyou're 54 :o
:P
I wonder what happens if I press this button...

pekbro wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:47 pm R&D adds cost, there's no way around that beyond cutting corners or taking a loss.
You can see with extremes like u-he and KV331 Audio though that different price strategies obviously work. Obviously, Cherry Audio's pricing works for them. None of us know if they are cutting corners anywhere.

tbh I've little interest in the basic Juno etc emulations anyway which I find a bit boring but I do think the modules co-created with MRB standout for me and sound a lot better. Although Softube modular does sound great it also has a much worse interface, Voltage Modular is faster for me to create stuff in.
Last edited by aMUSEd on Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The main thing is the time frame, which is a byproduct of R&D. We all know some companies take years to do the R&D, infact it never really stops with them at all, that's one thing that makes them great.

lol yeah, the CA2600 is absolute crap because the oscillator sync or whatever minor thing doesn't sound good, uh huh. This is the type of thing that people that actually don't make music say.

I've found aspects that I don't think sound good on literally every single synth I've ever spent any notable amount of time with. This is why different synths have different sweet spots and different use cases. Is my hardware Juno-106 suddenly a bad synth because the monophonic unison mode is awful garbage? No. But for some people, if instead of hardware it was a very inexpensive plugin, they might go on a multi-year hate campaign across a bunch of different forums about it.

Instead of completely Losing my mind about the poor unison, I think I'll just enjoy my Juno for all it's good parts, and use other synths for things the Juno isn't good at. That seems like a reasonable response.

briefcasemanx wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:52 pm lol yeah, the CA2600 is absolute crap because the oscillator sync or whatever minor thing doesn't sound good, uh huh. This is the type of thing that people that actually don't make music say.
Let's be honest, oscillator sync doesn't sound good on any synth. It's for playing that one Cars song and nothing else. (I'm kidding, but only kinda.)

I don't doubt there are technical flaws in CA2600, but I've compared it to my ARP Odyssey module and it's in the right ballpark. Not as accurate as Korg's ARP Odyssey plugin (but then, almost nothing is), but it's far better (and cheaper) than Arturia's 2600. (I like Arturia, but the 2600 is one of their oldest emulations, and it shows.)

More importantly, I just like the way CA2600 sounds.
Stormchild

Examigan wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 12:10 pm
v1o wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:46 am To me they sound like bootleg VST synths. Like someone went on Fiver and hired some cheap programmers from overseas.
I disagree. Here's some info from their site:

Cherry Audio was formed by a small group of industry veterans from the likes of Sonic Foundry, Cakewalk, Bias, Acoustica, and Keyboard Magazine. Cherry Audio is backed by a real company of industry professionals, and our products are built by programmers with decades of experience creating audio and DSP software.
He didn't say they were bootleg VST synths, he said they sound like they are. And he's kinda not wrong.
Arashi wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 1:29 pmYeah, they don't hold up to top-tier emulations, and DCO-106 is the worst one. I still like some of the other ones though. Eight Voice, Mercury-4, CA2600, and Quadra all sound good to me.
I was excited about 8 Voice and Quadra but very quickly disappointed when I actually got hold of the demos. THey don't hod up against bx_oberhausen or Korg's Odyssey at all and the fomrer, at least, is easily had for similar money.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

briefcasemanx wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:52 pm lol yeah, the CA2600 is absolute crap because the oscillator sync or whatever minor thing doesn't sound good, uh huh. This is the type of thing that people that actually don't make music say.
One of the lamest defense right from the playbook.
There are people that care about good sync sounds when making music.
Is it so damn difficult to grasp that we’re not oscilloscope- spectrum gazers just to point out flaws ?
But please go on, you’re mildly entertaining .
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

Return to “Instruments”