CLAP is a terrible name for a plugin format (and other general complaints about it)

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

This name is scruffy. It reminds of Elkte the stallion booty clapping :dog:

ghettosynth wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 12:53 am
Scotty wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:28 pm Your preoccupation with slang words for VD is misplaced. Musicians know full well what a clap is, so does everyone who ever sat in an audience or anyone who has ever used a drum machine. There are so many more important things to lose sleep over than this acronym (an abbreviation that forms a word) .
So now knowing what a word is has become the standard?

I'm not any more "preoccupied" with it than you are. You stepped into this thread with your ill-thought arguments. Musicians know full well what a muff is and what slutz is as well. Neither of those, of course, are words commonly used to search for audio products.

Those of us who think it's a bad choice for a name are just saying that. We're not arguing that we don't know what the word means or that other terms make good names.

As far as acronyms go, it's not even a good choice there. My guess is that it's more of a backronym. Clever doesn't really communicate anything other than ego. Compare to VST or even AU.
muff is used quite a lot to search for audio products actually.
the forum you refer to, was muff wiggler, now mod wiggler.
it was originally named, after mikes screen name, which while some go for the immediate filth, was actually an amalgamation of two ehx pedals.

the big muff, being the most ubiquitous fuzz, with many iterations, is a common search.

now fuzz, there's another, refers to pubes :shrug:

a fuzzbox isn't always an effect...

I still giggle when anybody mentions a cockpit

Never gotten over it. Not even with therapy
Don't feed the gators,y'all
https://m.soundcloud.com/tonedeadj

melomood wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 2:56 pm I still giggle when anybody mentions a cockpit

we have several here.
the ones the plane bit is named after, rather than the plane bit
old holes, for dropping fighting cocks in to.

many of the old pub names also refer to fighting cocks, it was big here in the way back.

Yes..yes

I've read stories...

by wayback, i mean the 70s :lol:

You know,the one Steeleye Span arrangement that sticks out for me,maybe it's just the Tim Hart & Maddy Prior stuff but

Fly Up My Cock

What is that all about? Does he want something to fly up there or is it slang for "I noticed my fly was down and I will now reposition my junk and pull my zipper up"?

those candira fish swim up your urethra

melomood wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 3:08 pm
Fly Up My Cock

minicock.gif

You rang sir?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ding dong

and look at 'dongle'

It became a euphemism

No escape. No escape

my pussy is pestering for a snuffle.

melomood wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 2:56 pm I still giggle when anybody mentions a cockpit

Don't forget to use yer joystick in yer cockpit.

melomood wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 3:21 pm and look at 'dongle'

It became a euphemism

No escape. No escape
Do I really have to explain that there is a difference between slang evolving through usage and the intentional naming of something that potentially will become a standard?

I like PNAP, pronounced NAP. Poorly Named Audio Plugin.

I see a lot of justification for a poorly named API that wouldn't fly in other contexts. Look, I like locker room humor as much as the next middle aged man, that doesn't mean that I'm not aware of how out of fashion it has become.

It doesn't matter what the original motivation for "muff" wiggler was, it was either clearly intended to be double entrende, or it was coined by someone whose picture should be next to naïve in the dictionary. I don't believe the latter, at all. The sexual innuendo was the first thing that I thought when I heard about it shortly after it was announced way back when. Even then I wouldn't have made that choice. Of course they changed the name, it's out of touch, it was always out of touch. The big muff goes back a number of years, but I hardly think that using a product named in, IIRC, the 70s is the standard by which things are judged today. However, I'd bet money that it was named with a snicker and a wink. After all, that's what men did in the 70s.

In fact, the Big Muff was originally called the "Foxey Lady." Who would have thought that companies would use a connection to sexuality and women to sell gadgets to men? Crazy talk I tell you!
An earlier Electro-Harmonix pedal, the Axis Fuzz, was also manufactured for the Guild guitar company as the Foxey Lady and used a similar chassis as the early Big Muffs, but had a simpler two-transistor circuit. With the introduction of the Big Muff the Axis was discontinued and the Foxey Lady pedal became a rebranded Big Muff. It was available at least until the mid-1970s.

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”