Steinberg Backbone - Drum Re-synthesizer

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Has anyone any experience selling their Steinberg license? I'm done with it. Maybe I'm just too dumb. Someone else might enjoy Backbone more than I did. Please PM if interested
void main(dumb)

Greenstorm33 wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 9:43 pm
SeeingInMidi wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 6:11 am
nanostream wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 8:54 pm
SeeingInMidi wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 8:42 pm Haven't tried it yet but the analyze feature can potentially get you more interesting and modern sounds.
You’re right, as far as I understand you can throw any kind of samples at the re-synthesize part and get potentially weird sounds or manipulation options (there’s a sitar example buried somewhere in this very thread). But the GAN part produced increadibly boring sounds, at least in the few videos I’ve seen.
I think you're confusing the Gan analyze with the decompose and the e resynthesis modules. If i'm understanding it correctly, the Gan analyze will analyze a user loaded sample and will generate a new sample based on the chosen sample.
Does the GAN analyze do anything other than set the three GAN sliders according to the provided sample? It would be interesting to provide a sample as a base sample and generate off of that, but if all it does is do something you could do manually it's not a very exciting feature.
Not exactly sure how the analyze feature works behind the scenes but it seems to be doing its job correctly most of the time. If i analyze a clap, clap like sounds are generated even tho there are 3 sliders, kick, snare and cymbal. Gan analyze does fail to emulater more experimental percussion so maybe it is just the sliders doing the work.

pixel85 wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 7:17 pm For a tool that 'takes your drums into a whole new era of sound design — the era of drum re-synthesis!', it has demos showing the most common drum sounds used everywhere for a few decades. Even with new tech from Sony it still produces the same old drum sounds.

It feels like we are beyond the peak time of drum sound design.
Did anyone make something else (but usable) besides 808s and Boom bap drums with this thing?
I thought the same when i heard the demos but you can generate a variety of sounds from experimental to modern. But i find myself processing the more experimental sounds usually. Theyre not up to par with the more modern samples being generated.

Igro wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 9:44 pm
pixel85 wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 7:17 pm For a tool that 'takes your drums into a whole new era of sound design — the era of drum re-synthesis!', it has demos showing the most common drum sounds used everywhere for a few decades. Even with new tech from Sony it still produces the same old drum sounds.

Did anyone make something else (but usable) besides 808s and Boom bap drums with this thing?
Kick is kick. It is too short to make it futuristic and novel. To make something different, you have to use post processing (fx). Having said that, if you want to explore interesting tones, use FM.
I don't care about FM. They're selling this plugin as something that is supposed to let create new sounds yet in their promo materials they're showing me... 808 kick drum 🤦‍♂️
I'm not saying that it can't do new original sounds. What I'm saying that their promo materials suck.

It's like LG would announce new 8K TV and they would show 480p SD videos in their promo materials.

SeeingInMidi wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 11:26 pm

I thought the same when i heard the demos but you can generate a variety of sounds from experimental to modern. But i find myself processing the more experimental sounds usually. Theyre not up to par with the more modern samples being generated.
At some point I'll try it (I'll wait for C13 to see if they will include some of Backbone features first). I'm only afraid that this plugin will be even bigger black hole for me because I'm already spending too much time designing and tweaking drums.

pixel85 wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 11:58 pm I'm only afraid that this plugin will be even bigger black hole for me because I'm already spending too much time designing and tweaking drums.
In that case, don't demo or buy :D
More BPM please

Anyway, after some more demoing i bought it. Awesome plugin. I'm really surprised how well the resynthesizing works, even highly distorted drums are sounding close and thus allow for editing in ways no other drum sampler can.
The way you can mangle sounds with this is amazing, and on the contrary to other samplers it retains punch and low end when stretching, pitching and all that.

Honestly, Backbone should get a lot more attention.
More BPM please

To the people who are using it: what is it like in terms of workflow? I demo'ed it a good while back but really forgot about it and cannot demo it again. I think it looks cool and the capabilities sound promising, but for it to be an effective tool (for me), it needs to be easy and fun to work with.

Any thoughts from current users?

Re-synthesizing/time-stretching a sizzling string sound played on my cittern in Backbone, tweaking the formants and the purity parameter on the fly.

https://youtu.be/xAXtL0tAIXk

Sampleconstruct wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:55 am Re-synthesizing/time-stretching a sizzling string sound played on my cittern in Backbone, tweaking the formants and the purity parameter on the fly.

Wow! Sounds awesome!
Before this video, i thought of Backbone as a drum layering instrument. But this sounds great.

Stan Navi wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:20 am
Sampleconstruct wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:55 am Re-synthesizing/time-stretching a sizzling string sound played on my cittern in Backbone, tweaking the formants and the purity parameter on the fly.

Wow! Sounds awesome!
Before this video, i thought of Backbone as a drum layering instrument. But this sounds great.
The quality of resynthesis and time-stetching in Backbone is really top notch.

I cannot get any of Backbone's parameter controls to show up in Live when I try to configure them. Rats.
Doing nothing is only fun when you have something you are supposed to do.

Dirtgrain wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 2:19 pm I cannot get any of Backbone's parameter controls to show up in Live when I try to configure them. Rats.
Same. I’ve been playing around with the demo the last couple of days, and I’m still not quite sure whether to get it or not. The missing automation is kind of a dealbreaker, though.

Sampleconstruct wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:22 am
Stan Navi wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:20 am

Wow! Sounds awesome!
The quality of resynthesis and time-stetching in Backbone is really top notch.
Is there anything better than backbone that you have tried? I want to do a little shopping.

Like it should have been called Resynth the One Shot re synthesizer
Don't feed the gators,y'all
https://m.soundcloud.com/tonedeadj

Return to “Instruments”