CLAP: The New Audio Plug-in Standard (by U-he, Bitwig and others)

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

teilo wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 8:59 pm Dropping this in here as well: https://clapdb.tech
Nice work, Teilo!

vertibration wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 5:30 pm
pdxindy wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 1:29 pm Here is another ACE example. More per voice parameter sequencing including some parameters that cannot be modulated directly in ACE like Multiple Input Gain which opens up lots of new possibilities. I've always wanted an ACE XL... now I have it!

https://dandelionaudio.com/sound/CLAP-Ace-9.mp3
you are killing it with these patches man, sounds great.
Another ACE example... again using Bitwig modulators and some parameters that cannot be modulated directly in ACE.

https://dandelionaudio.com/sound/CLAP-Ace-12.mp3

It gives some nostalgic feeling of the wah-wah era (early 70's, right)? Very nice :)

So, after all I don't think this is good for plugins developers! If you can do all that with ACE, then what's the need for other synths? ;)

not just the per synth modulation is nice, if you put multiple synth instances in the pockets of XY devices, non-per note modulators(which can be automated from the arranger) can modulate per notes ones on multiple synths
pretty crazy chains can be achieved in this way (hope BWS never gonna get MSEG ... :D )
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

The modularity of Bitwigs modulation system pays off here. I bet you could turn the most simple CLAP example synth into something as complex as a Virus or any other subtractive monster. You need to add polyphonic filters somehow, but why not…
Ok, it would be easier to just rebuild something in the Grid directly…; - )

Urs has described it pretty well
In think what we're seeing here is a new understanding of what West Coast synthesis is all about, where sound design and composition transcend each other...
- viewtopic.php?p=8454452#p8454452

BWS is definitely a NLS in this area, needs a different way of thinking during your composition
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

EnGee wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 6:12 am So, after all I don't think this is good for plugins developers! If you can do all that with ACE, then what's the need for other synths? ;)
Good for users though :clap:

Bitwig plus the u-he CLAP synths adds new MPE capabilities.

Because the Bitwig modulators can per voice, one can add say a steps modulator to sequence some parameters and then play that with an MPE controller and use per note pressure to only bring that sequence in at certain times on certain notes.

Bitwig also has the AHD on Release modulator which gives lots of possibilities on note release. And so on.

This is actually going to make me use bitwig's modulators much more. I'm not a fan of the sound of bitwig devices much, but with u-he synths I'll be much more inclined.

Echoes in the Attic wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 11:06 pm This is actually going to make me use bitwig's modulators much more. I'm not a fan of the sound of bitwig devices much, but with u-he synths I'll be much more inclined.
I generally agree but I think the new oscillator and filter are pretty good. Not as good as Repro, which is what I’m waiting for. Will make do with Diva until then.

perpetual3 wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 12:31 am
Echoes in the Attic wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 11:06 pm This is actually going to make me use bitwig's modulators much more. I'm not a fan of the sound of bitwig devices much, but with u-he synths I'll be much more inclined.
I generally agree but I think the new oscillator and filter are pretty good. Not as good as Repro, which is what I’m waiting for. Will make do with Diva until then.
I haven't actually tried the beta yet, waiting for final release. I know there's a new juno type osc (or so it appears), but didn't know there was a new filter, I thought they just renamed the SK.

Echoes in the Attic wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 2:14 am I haven't actually tried the beta yet, waiting for final release. I know there's a new juno type osc (or so it appears), but didn't know there was a new filter, I thought they just renamed the SK.
Yeah, there is the new Union Osc.

The new filter is the Low-Pass MG. Sallen-Key didn't just get a name change. It also now has 16 filter types. Also, all the filters now include a Resonance Limit control called Q-Limit (in the Inspector). IMO all the filters are more flexible and can have improved sound due to the Q-Limit parameter and the way it relates to Drive.

The Grid Env's ADSR, AR and AD now have 3 modes - Analog, Relative (original) and Digital.

I agree, u-he synths ACE, Bazille, Diva and Repro have a more characterful sound and definitely handle audio-rate modulations better. I do think there are plenty of simple, lovely sounds that Bitwig Instruments can do.

Here is a simple pad - Grid patch. 2 WT Osc's into the Sallen-Key filter in BP2 mode. No modulation except a slow LFO on filter cutoff. NO FX at all. Just 2 Osc and a filter and their raw sound.

https://dandelionaudio.com/sound/WT-SK-Grd-1.mp3

perpetual3 wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 12:31 am
Here is an example of the new Union Osc and the updated Sallen-Key. Just the 1 Osc, into the Filter and the filter cutoff and filter input gain modulated by a Step modulator. Only the raw sound, no FX. I think it sounds quite good.

https://dandelionaudio.com/sound/Union-SK-1.mp3

is clap a coding language?

j wazza wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:30 pm is clap a coding language?
No. CLAP is a plugin standard just as VST, AAX, and AU are plugin standards. It can be written in any language that can expose / call a C ABI. Therefore C/C++ is the most common language, but Rust and Delphi bindings are already available.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”