Alternatives to Jamstix?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Might have to invest in a real electronic kit then. Some with good ratings are not much more than some of the software that I've been looking at...haven't played for years, but I'm sure it will come back pretty quickly.

Well, that's it - removed Jamstix from my system. It's been a good tool for quite a few years, but seems to have reached the end of the line with updates coming so slowly and issues not being fixed. :shrug:

Might get one of these just to play real drum with:

https://www.alesis.com/products/view2/nitro-mesh-kit

Should be able to pick one up for less than $400, and it gets reasonable reviews. Will be good to sit behind a kit again as it's certainly been quite a few years.

If I have the space, electronic drums is the way to go!
They seem varies a lot in prices. Are the Alesis ones a good compromise between quality and price? Roland seems much more expensive, although it depends on the model of course.

XO from XLN audio or Atlas from Algonaut both have an Ai engine

Going from Jamstix to electric drums was quite a leap! :o

Anyway I agree with others, nothing compares to Jamstix.
Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:15 pm Passing Bye wrote:
"look at SparkySpark's post 4 posts up, let that sink in for a moment"
Go MuLab!

My first drum "machine" was Digitech SDRUM and I have spent many hours searching suitable VST at least as versatile as SDRUM. I'm really glad I have finally found Jamstix4.

An upcoming version of Atlas is supposedly going to have a randomizer, but it’s not here yet.

Forgotten wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 3:02 pm
Aloysius wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 1:35 pm
Forgotten wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 1:35 am Anyone know of a good alternative for Mac?
Windows 10. :tu:
I said “good”... :hihi:
Actually I'm using both with lots of hardware and:

- Windows 10: I'm using same OS installation 6+ years, if I upgrade pc I just switch ssd to the new PC and it works (last year I seamless upgraded from I7 to AMD Ryzen). Perfect backward compatibility, all plugins just works no matter if it released yesterday or 10 years ago. My PC setup just works perfectly with everything and I don't have to bother on updates collisions...

- OSX: zero backward compatibility, each few years old plugins stopped working with updated OS or new ones wants you to upgrade your OS; many plugins doesn't supports M1 (which I'm currently switched to and meh... lots of issues here... same for my prev intel macbook though)

So in terms of "good" I prefer stability and windows, but while roaming I'm using mac BUT with many limitations. If u love to have compatibility issues all the way during the years - welcome to mac and have fun. If you just need working workstation without having any troubles with updates(or no updates at all - up to you) - welcome to windows....

If IPadOS is a possibility then any of the Lumbeat apps e.g. Future Drummer, Soft Drummer, Funk Drummer etc.

http://www.lumbeat.com/

Aren't these available on the Mac store for M1 Macs if you buy them on IPadOS?

There is nothing comparable to Jamstix. The amount of drummer and percussion intelligence built into that app is in a class of its own compared to every other tool in existence. Absolutely nothing out there can do what Jamstix does, especially to the degree that it does it. it was a creation of love from a drummer who put his heart and soul into capturing drummer intelligence into a plugin.

I'm also quite sad that development seems to have fallen off a cliff and we haven't heard much of anything from Ralph in quite some time. Especially the Mac side was kind of abandoned. Doesn't work on BigSur or Monterey. Ralph told me a year ago, its not abandoned and he hopes to get it working on Monterey, so who knows..maybe it will come back.. I personally think he got too much dependency on using Delphi as a development platform...which is itself a dying animal and probably it is just at a point now where its hard for him to bring Jamstix to newest OS versions on the Delphi platform. And converting the whole thing to C/C++ and some different development platform would be a major undertaking with what is probably fairly small market segment... So I really hate to say it...but... Jamstix is probably a dying breed....

but I'm in the same boat as others...need to find something else that just works on Mac, even if its less capable than Jamstix. Bums me out though, because Jamstix is truly something special. I especially liked using it for Jamcussion stuff. It kind of works on a VSL VePro server...but I've had some issues with that too. Also tried using AudioGridder with some limited success, but AudioGridder is itself still not a mature product and there are some issues at this time.

LogicPro's Drummer is actually pretty cool, but maybe 1/1000 the power and control of Jamstix. It is capable of listening to other tracks and generating a beat for it...so that's something cool...and maybe good enough as a starting point. But not even close to the level of detail of Jamstix.

I can't stomach MDrummer.. I need to try out XO... But also seems to much black box automatic with no ability to fine tune anything to exactly what I want?
MacPro 5,1 12core x 3.46ghz-96gb MacOS 12.2 (opencore), X32+AES16e-50

Yeah, I got EZdrummer 3 which is great, but still doesn't do what Jamstix does. The 2 compliment each other well.
Such a shame if it goes, it doesn't need any more features desperately just a compatibility update (still think the GUI could be updated)...but alas...

Jamstix to me is still very usable, especially using it with external sounds.

You could consider any modern tools that have Randomness and Probability.
For instance beatstep pro does it great. Tons of tools in Reaktor have that.

Can't go wrong with pads and actual playing, much more believable output too.

I use EZD3 (and previously 2) and do find it gives a lot of control, so I'm pretty happy with it. I tried Jamstix on my Mac several years ago because it definitely looks even more powerful, but it was a disaster to try to use (on the Mac) even back then, and I've gathered that it's even worse now (on Mac) and that, as noted above, development seems to all outward appearances to have ceased. It's a shame. I do hope that Jamstix, or something comparable, makes a return some day.

Jamstix kind of works on Monterey… it doesn’t run on M1 though (in live, I have to run live in Rosetta since live doesn’t accept midi from AU). And it is a bit buggy. But it is at least somewhat functional….

Doesn’t replace jamstix, but in the same ‘intelligent drummer’ space is realidrums by realitone… it’s pretty fun to play with…

Would be incredible if Toontrack or BFD Drums/InMusic stepped in and acquired Jamstix to incorporate the functionality into their existing product lines.

Return to “Instruments”