Bitwig Studio 4.3 Released!

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Bitwig Studio 5

moss wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 11:17 am
Trancit wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 9:33 pm - Unison modes on Oscillators directly instead of this silly Swarm Osc...
Won't "Voice Stacking" do the trick for you?
Voice Stacking duplicates the entire instrument. Sometimes not desired and can cost considerably more cpu depending.

But as has been mentioned, the Wavetable Osc's have Osc Unison! :tu:

When do you think ARA will be added?
I’m really missing it, and contemplating an alternative DAW.

simmo75 wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 12:32 pm When do you think ARA will be added?
I’m really missing it, and contemplating an alternative DAW.
Sometime after Network Sharing ;-)

There is no 'alternative DAW', just another DAW you use as well, as the other DAW wont do what Bitwig does so you will be just as frustrated. I find Studio One a good 'compliment' for Bitwig....
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

Trancit wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 9:33 pm - Unison modes on Oscillators directly instead of this silly Swarm Osc...
As voice stacking would multiply the whole patch including filters and everything else it´s getting easily 3-4 times more CPU intense than it actually needs to be as all I want are actually the oscillator voices +detuning...
But as already mentioned the unison of the wavetable osc does the trick... even if it´s limited but better than swarm...:tu:

pdxindy wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 12:31 pm
Voice Stacking duplicates the entire instrument. Sometimes not desired and can cost considerably more cpu depending.

I was quoting moss before having seen your post... funny that we did write the same... :hihi:

Trancit wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 2:19 pm
pdxindy wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 12:31 pm Voice Stacking duplicates the entire instrument. Sometimes not desired and can cost considerably more cpu depending.

I was quoting moss before having seen your post... funny that we did write the same... :hihi:
It makes sense :)

In case you have looked at it much, when using the Wavetable Osc in the Grid, make sure to check out the various parameters in the Inspector. The different detune and phase modes make a subtle but useful difference. Also useful sometimes is turning off interpolation between frames.

I'd still welcome Osc unison for Pulse, Sawtooth, Sine, Triangle and Phase-1 Osc's

SLiC wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 9:40 am
SamDi wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 9:07 am
SLiC wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:05 pm
SamDi wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:59 pm
SLiC wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 7:27 pm
SamDi wrote: 10 days after my upgrade plan run out. Now i am stuck with Beta 7 :( :( :(
Actually your stuck on Bitwig Studio 4.2 until you upgrade...
Yeah, it was mentioned already, that the Betas will expire. I was not aware of this :neutral: :?
Just start your plan- you get this one and probably 2 more either way, it is a bit of luck of the draw, as are all updates and sales... you would probably have started your next upgrade plan to try the next beta in a few months anyway, so you have probably only lost a couple of months (25 bucks pro rata!)
Nah, the old plan just ended and paying 129 EUR year per year (with discount) is still to steep for me. I am open to invest something around 80 per year for keeping Bitwig as my second DAW (I have 4 second DAWS!, while Bitwig beside Ableton I use the most ATM), thus I need to wait at least half a year to activate it to keep my guideline :D . The new gimmicks are nice, but I don't use the Bitwig Fx at all, thus they are not really a gamechanger to me. Hope they improve something in the area of cutting, consolidating, fading and saving audio samplefiles. I wanted to do so, some days ago and it was a real mess. So with Ver 5 I am going to pull the trigger then :hihi:
This is the beauty of the scheme- you don't have to upgrade if you don't want the upgrade, its not subscription and your licence doesn't expire

If you don't want/need the new FX or CLAP or whatever....don't upgrade, its mot mandatory or required to use and have fun with Bitwig, but its nice to have the 'option' to get new stuff if you want to....cant say that for all DAWS.

PS- I have Studio One, Live Suite, Bitwig, Reason, FL and Renoise, so I get it :-)
IMO, the biggest advantage Ableton has over Bitwig is hardware support. I just trialed both DAWs, and my Oxygen Pro literally set itself up, automatically switches to Ableton Live mode, and things are just... flawless.

Fader and Pot takeover/pickup is impeccable. All the shortcuts just work. The only "configuration" I had to do is turn on MIDI Clock Output.

It's like you buy these controllers with Knobs and Faders, and they feel impractical when used with a lot of other software... then you boot up Ableton Live and ... "Wow... So this was the dream these developers had in mind when they designed this device."

With Bitwig, I couldn't switch to device mode, the Faders picked up, but the knobs didn't, etc. And that's using the Bitwig preset on the device.

I'm sure there are things that Bitwig does better, but this level of plug-and-play is hard to beat.

Beyond that, I kind of prefer Ableton Live with Dark Mode over Bitwig's Atomic Bomb of Saturated Accent Colors. That is a bit much for me to stare at for hours at a time. I'll have to go back in later and see if there is another theme, but the default is just not something I will be able to tolerate.

Bitwig did give me DP PTSD with frozen plug-in scanning messages. If I can't get around that, I won't even think of risking it.

I think Ableton's hardware support is going to seal the deal for me. I kind of want something that is a more non-linear that isn't Maschine 2. I wish Cubase had a clip launcher, lol.

I already have Studio One (was very cheap on crossgrade during a sale, and I used it while waiting for Cubase to drop the dongle), but it's too similar to Cubase to keep installed. I don't tend to keep things installed if I don't use them regularly. They just become a distraction.

If I said you are blocked, I won't see your posts. Please kindly refrain from quoting or replying to me.
"Notifications for Nothing" are annoying. Blocking me in return is a good way to avoid this.

Does the piano roll compare to FL Studio's yet?

Personally I really really wish Live wasn't so skimpy on key commands. One area that Bitwig flatly beats Live in is the ability to use it without a mouse for much of its operations. The few that Live has are great, but you're always going to have to dive in and mouse around for more of the interface than Bitwig.

BenfordLaw wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 3:33 pm Does the piano roll compare to FL Studio's yet?
Nope, nor Studio One piano roll which is far superior to FL in my opinion (and I own both) so if Bitwig is going to borrow features from any DAW I hope its Studio One....that said, I have never had any issue working with the Bitwig Piano roll, it is the fastest I know of for MPE and adding rolls, probability, ratchets etc so its swings and roundabouts...
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

^^^ chord note highlight of Cubase missing from both FL/S1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYg1nAh7Uj8
pretty fun if you're tired otherwise and just would like to play with some simple rhythm-based solid structures/counter-melodies etc.. and with sound designing a bit just for fun in BWS

so I've found the Cubase+Bitwig (with a MIDI keyboard) combo the most usable one (I wouldn't even start to play with synths in Cubase in the CLAP era :) )
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

SLiC wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 4:04 pm
BenfordLaw wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 3:33 pm Does the piano roll compare to FL Studio's yet?
Nope, nor Studio One piano roll which is far superior to FL in my opinion (and I own both) so if Bitwig is going to borrow features from any DAW I hope its Studio One....that said, I have never had any issue working with the Bitwig Piano roll, it is the fastest I know of for MPE and adding rolls, probability, ratchets etc so its swings and roundabouts...
Controversial opinion.

How good a piano roll is depends on what you use it for. If you're doing a ton of orchestral MIDI programming, then Cubase's piano roll is superior to Studio One's. So is Digital Performer's, for that matter. If you're programming beats or doing EDM, then Studio One's piano roll is going to seem better.

Creating Ratchets is easy with Cubase:

1. Draw a Note
2. Press <3> to switch to the split tool
3. Hold down Alt and Split near the front of the clip at the preferred length. You can also use Alt+1/2 to change the quantize and use that as a guide.

The split will be cascaded down the entire length of the note.

You're welcome.

A lot of things are possible in other DAWs.

The fact that they aren't creating new places to slap labels for people to click on does not mean the feature doesn't exist. Different software is different. If they were all the same, we'd only have one solution to choose.

If I said you are blocked, I won't see your posts. Please kindly refrain from quoting or replying to me.
"Notifications for Nothing" are annoying. Blocking me in return is a good way to avoid this.

xbitz wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 5:31 pm ^^^ chord note highlight of Cubase missing from both FL/S1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYg1nAh7Uj8
pretty fun if you're tired otherwise and just would like to play with some simple rhythm-based solid structures/counter-melodies etc.. and with sound designing a bit just for fun in BWS

so I've found the Cubase+Bitwig (with a MIDI keyboard) combo the most usable one (I wouldn't even start to play with synths in Cubase in the CLAP era :) )
What CLAP era? One DAW supports it and hardly any virtual instruments.

In any case, Cubase has - by far - the most robust VST support, unsurprisingly. I couldn't even get Bitwig to scan all of my plug-ins. The scanner would just free or crash and fill up my CrashDump folder.

I ended up getting Ableton Live Suite, instead.

And honestly, a lot of people could probably get a lot more value out of adding Maschine or MPC to Cubase than another studio DAW.

Ableton has considerably better hardware support than Bitwig, though. Neither my Launchkey 49 MK3 nor my Oxygen Pro 49 are supported by Bitwig, but both of them work out of the box in Ableton. The only setup needed is turning on MIDI Clock output to the control (for Arpeggiator and/or Note Repeat). The Oxygen Pro is, arguably, even better than the Launchkey that was "designed for Ableton Live."

Bitwig does have a great Maschine MK3 Controller Template, though I tend to use that controller with Maschine 2 only, for the most part.

xbitz wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 5:31 pm
My combination is Bitwig and Logic... but with the arrival of CLAP and my favorite synths (u-he) supporting it, Bitwig has just become unmatched for me. Bitwig's modulation system being able to PolyMod the u-he synths is the best new feature in a long time!

Doesn't matter to me personally if other hosts adopt it since I don't use them, but I would like to see a few of my other synth favorites like Plasmonic adopt CLAP... plus FabFilter and Valhalla who are both on the list. I don't have that many plugins, so there is a decent chance that in 2 years, I wont even need any VST plugins installed.

CLAP is off to an impressive start. It has only been released for a month and there are already regular announcements of updates with CLAP support.

CLAP synths with PolyMod and using Bitwig is also an exciting step forward in terms of MPE possibilities. Lots of new techniques are possible now with a variety of synths. Some of the do-it-all super synths have massive possibilities too, but most of the synths whose sound I like the best are simpler.

Well, Bitwig is a unique DAW. It is especially great for sound design without the need to any 3rd party, so just out of the box, you can go as easy or as crazy with sound as you want ;)

I wish CLAP success because it is a good thing for developers in the long run. Bitwig did the "right" thing IMO by supporting it. It comes from a need to be free from the burdens of VST3 and future unknown versions.

In spite of that I'm using Studio One more than Bitwig/Live now, I still value Bitwig and might return to it in the future. I'm learning Music Theory and also what I have from synths and effects much more than sound design and that made me use Studio One more as I need the score editor and also a good mixer/tools for mixing.

I don't understand why users feel negative towards CLAP and Bitwig's choice?! I think it boosts Bitwig direction in sound design. This is a good thing IMO because we don't have only just one choice, but multiple choices :)

I think Live still a head with hardware support, but Bitwig is very good. It depends on what you have from hardware really! I have Arturia Keylab 49 and ATOM. Those are working fine with S1, Live and Bitwig. However, I use 95% the PC keyboard shortcuts + mouse to control the DAW. I mostly use only the keys and mod/pitch wheels on my midi keyboard. Just saying ;)

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”