UVI go subscription!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Alive - UVI Falcon Expansion SonicPass

hebex wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 3:53 pm Today I don´t know what I despise the most, the evil machinations behind all corporate/globalist BS, or the cattle who never learn and time and again fall for it -- and even spit on the ones who warn. So many people want to be slaves.
Your perspective is not mine at all... and I am not cattle by any means.

Try this analogy on for size:

Imagine you like working with wood to craft furniture.

A subscription is like a fabulous workshop opened next door to your house with all the latest expensive tools for cutting, shaping, assembling and finishing a piece of custom furniture you made. Great HVAC and lighting in the place. Also, there is a convenient supply of quality and exotic woods on hand... and even a storefront attached where you can offer what you make for sale if you want.

Having such a workshop yourself with all these tools and amenities would be very expensive to own and maintain. If what you really enjoy is making the furniture, this new place next door is a fantastic thing that now exists!

I bought UVI software for about 2000 Euros. Now with this subscription model it will not be possible to sell it for a reasonable price. Nothing from the site of UVI for existing customers,l. If I want to use the other products from UVI I additionally have to pay the monthly fee. Furthermore it's not very customer friendly to demand such a high fee for forwarding licenses to a new buyer. I am really disappointed from UVI. For new customers I think 240 per year is OK. For this money I could rent my existing software for about ten years. I think it would be fair from UVI, to give existing customers a certain compensation.

Zynthi wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 12:54 am I think it would be fair from UVI, to give existing customers a certain compensation.
Yes.. for all companies shifting over to a subscription option, it would be smart to offer a substantial monthly discount to customers who have spent a lot on licenses for the sub content. More stuff you own, bigger/longer the discount.

I think the UVI subscription plan is a great idea, but probably not for the reasons UVI thinks. I own Falcon and a few of the "Vintage Vault" sample libraries (that UVI like to pretend are software instruments). I was considering purchasing the full Vintage Vault collection for $500 and some of the "Falcon Expansions" (that use the various software synthesis engines in Falcon to create patches). I was also looking at purchasing one or two of UVI's FX products.

So I signed up for a months subscription to check out what I was considering purchasing.And you know what, there is nothing special about any of the UVI products I was considering buying. So my $24 subscription just saved me hundreds and hundreds of dollars. Thank you UVI!

I'll be cancelling my subscription as soon as the month is up.

UVI products are amazing, I took the newly released SonicPass since May for Falcon and the Soundbanks and the effects. I thought I had finally found the dream VST, wow the sonic quality and interface is outstanding, so many layers, rich textures, even ethnic librairies included too, the whole package you need for modern electronic music... no competition out there.

BUT it's ruining my workflow so far, they have a serious issue where ARM 64 Falcon isn't yet 100% stable with M1 Macs/Ableton, and it keeps crashing Ableton when I use multiple instances of Falcon in a project.

It's really ruining it, I can't work like this. You won't even be able to open your project anymore after the crash. You have to manually restore the stems, which is not a viable option (plus it will keep crashing again after the next save anyway), since I need my return channels too, and they're gone of course.

I've been in contact every day with UVI support for the past 3 weeks, they're very available but so far they're investigating my Ableton crash reports, we have no solution yet.

It's really a major issue, can you imagine if every M1 user is having this problem?? Total waste.

Problem is 80% of my tracks right have quite a few instances of Falcon and rely on it.

I'm really hoping they're gonna fix this...

OllieBoi wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 2:41 am I think the UVI subscription plan is a great idea, but probably not for the reasons UVI thinks. I own Falcon and a few of the "Vintage Vault" sample libraries (that UVI like to pretend are software instruments). I was considering purchasing the full Vintage Vault collection for $500 and some of the "Falcon Expansions" (that use the various software synthesis engines in Falcon to create patches). I was also looking at purchasing one or two of UVI's FX products.

So I signed up for a months subscription to check out what I was considering purchasing.And you know what, there is nothing special about any of the UVI products I was considering buying. So my $24 subscription just saved me hundreds and hundreds of dollars. Thank you UVI!

I'll be cancelling my subscription as soon as the month is up.
I would have never bought falcon if there was a demo even a paid one like they are offering now with their subscription, happy for all people that don’t have to waste money on products that they don’t really like

I would not go with subscription if they offered it. Subscription is good for people that like to keep upgrading to latest version of a product to use. I don't think its good for people that like to use the same version of a product for a long time.
all the best

niterateaudio wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 3:52 pm I would not go with subscription if they offered it. Subscription is good for people that like to keep upgrading to latest version of a product to use. I don't think its good for people that like to use the same version of a product for a long time.
Exactly, 98% of my stuff is not subscription, which I'm not a big fan of.

But in the case of UVI, Eventide, Slate etc. I'm making an exception because they're unique and can't be replaced otherwise, and also I don't want to bother and waste time updating manually each product etc. I prefer a single offer, also they keep enhancing the features so it's a good deal overall.

Provided they're going to fix my M1 crash bug in Ableton, that is.

spnc wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 3:06 pm UVI products are amazing, I took the newly released SonicPass since May for Falcon and the Soundbanks and the effects. I thought I had finally found the dream VST, wow the sonic quality and interface is outstanding, so many layers, rich textures, even ethnic librairies included too, the whole package you need for modern electronic music... no competition out there.

BUT it's ruining my workflow so far, they have a serious issue where ARM 64 Falcon isn't yet 100% stable with M1 Macs/Ableton, and it keeps crashing Ableton when I use multiple instances of Falcon in a project.

It's really ruining it, I can't work like this. You won't even be able to open your project anymore after the crash. You have to manually restore the stems, which is not a viable option (plus it will keep crashing again after the next save anyway), since I need my return channels too, and they're gone of course.

I've been in contact every day with UVI support for the past 3 weeks, they're very available but so far they're investigating my Ableton crash reports, we have no solution yet.

It's really a major issue, can you imagine if every M1 user is having this problem?? Total waste.

Problem is 80% of my tracks right have quite a few instances of Falcon and rely on it.

Can confirm that I get crashes in Logic Pro X as well on a M1 MAX Macbook pro. And sometimes when duplicating a track that I’ve used custom FX chains in Falcon for, I’ll get a red outline around the instrument and the GUI messes up and the instrument won’t play.

Sucks because Falcon and the UVI product line are incredible, but I do hope they fix the crashes as it does make Falcon and all the libraries unusable at the moment.

SoftSynthLover99 wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 5:12 pm
spnc wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 3:06 pm UVI products are amazing, I took the newly released SonicPass since May for Falcon and the Soundbanks and the effects. I thought I had finally found the dream VST, wow the sonic quality and interface is outstanding, so many layers, rich textures, even ethnic librairies included too, the whole package you need for modern electronic music... no competition out there.

Can confirm that I get crashes in Logic Pro X as well on a M1 MAX Macbook pro. And sometimes when duplicating a track that I’ve used custom FX chains in Falcon for, I’ll get a red outline around the instrument and the GUI messes up and the instrument won’t play.

Sucks because Falcon and the UVI product line are incredible, but I do hope they fix the crashes as it does make Falcon and all the libraries unusable at the moment.
Thank you for your feedback, I'm gonny copy paste this and include in it my ticket convo with them.

The more we are to complain publicly here and on other forums (Gearspace etc.), the more they will have no choice and listen to us (in theory lol)!

I don't understand how these companies don't give huge discounts to people that already OWN a ton of the software. It can't be that much more programmatically difficult that a bunch of the other stuff they do, and by not offering personalized discounts they both miss out on at least *some* revenue, AND they create impetus for their own users to propagate negative word-of-mouth when they have immediate sticker shock to these expensive monthly plans. Seems like lose-lose.

nightjar wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 6:44 pm Try this analogy on for size:

A subscription is like a fabulous workshop opened next door to your house with all the latest expensive tools for cutting, shaping, assembling and finishing a piece of custom furniture you made. Great HVAC and lighting in the place. Also, there is a convenient supply of quality and exotic woods on hand... and even a storefront attached where you can offer what you make for sale if you want.

Having such a workshop yourself with all these tools and amenities would be very expensive to own and maintain. If what you really enjoy is making the furniture, this new place next door is a fantastic thing that now exists!
I tried your analogy on. Didn't fit. :) Sorry not a valid comparison. In a month even a hack like me could easily finish all but the most advanced woodworking projects. Plus I already know how to use the equipment fully and if not it would take almost no time at all to learn. Hardly the same with plugins.

To each their own but the idea of basically buying a one-month demo of software...I will never waste money on it. I guess if you're shopping around and feel it will help you decide which one to get it could be useful. But IMO if companies really had faith in their products, they'd offer free demos (as many do). And to pay month after month and own nothing at the end of each month? Incredibly bad idea IMO.

But I have no interest in UVI anyway, so moot point.....

spnc wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 12:55 am

Thank you for your feedback, I'm gonny copy paste this and include in it my ticket convo with them.

The more we are to complain publicly here and on other forums (Gearspace etc.), the more they will have no choice and listen to us (in theory lol)!
We are already on it for the Program 24 crashes.

Regarding red outline around the instrument and the GUI messes up and the instrument won’t play, some script requires some FX to be there otherwise they stop functionning (hence the red border) . so if you want a custom FX chain, just bypass them in the script UI and put your custom one on the Part level.
Olivier Tristan
Developer - UVI Team
http://www.uvi.net

mixyguy2 wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 2:31 am
nightjar wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 6:44 pm Try this analogy on for size:

I tried your analogy on. Didn't fit. :) Sorry not a valid comparison. In a month even a hack like me could easily finish all but the most advanced woodworking projects. Plus I already know how to use the equipment fully and if not it would take almost no time at all to learn. Hardly the same with plugins.

To each their own but the idea of basically buying a one-month demo of software...I will never waste money on it. I guess if you're shopping around and feel it will help you decide which one to get it could be useful. But IMO if companies really had faith in their products, they'd offer free demos (as many do). And to pay month after month and own nothing at the end of each month? Incredibly bad idea IMO.

But I have no interest in UVI anyway, so moot point.....
Huh? This is not at all about learning how to use something. This is about having ongoing access to a wonderful workspace and tools. You are missing the point.

otristan wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 11:30 am
spnc wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 12:55 am

We are already on it for the Program 24 crashes.

Regarding red outline around the instrument and the GUI messes up and the instrument won’t play, some script requires some FX to be there otherwise they stop functionning (hence the red border) . so if you want a custom FX chain, just bypass them in the script UI and put your custom one on the Part level.
Thank you Olivier.

Return to “Instruments”