Is this still a C chord or a I chord in key of C?

Chords, scales, harmony, melody, etc.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I was learning some different keyboard voicings, luxury voicings as an example. So the right hand voicing for C is E G B D with the left hand playing a C. Is this still a C chord for annotation or Em7 variant? There's other voicings that don't use the primary chord note so are they normally annotated in the voicing (if that makes sense)?
Maarkr
HW: Casio PX-5S, Roland FA-06 , Epi Les Paul, Ovation, Yamaha e-drums, Ibanez bass
SW: Intel i7-8700, Win 11-64 Pro, Studio One Pro, Waves, IK Multi, Izotope, NI

maarkr wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 8:45 pm ...Is this still a C chord ...
That's a bit vague. Maj? Min? C6, 9,11,13, aug 4, sus 5?
Otherwise, Em7.
But I only know a c*nt full of music theory.

Cmaj9

Or sometimes called Cmaj7 add 9
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

maarkr wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 8:45 pm So the right hand voicing for C is E G B D with the left hand playing a C. Is this still a C chord
Sure: Cmaj79. But other shorthand names do exist.
maarkr wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 8:45 pm or Em7 variant?
Could be Em7/C, depending on the context, but the C is not a logical bass note for an E chord (the G or B are much more likely then to use)
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

It is a C major 9. By calling it a 9th chord, the underlying 7th is implied. If there were no 7th in the structure, the "D" would probably be called a "2".

Chord symbols don't reliably suggest a voicing. In jazz, you can play EADG on Cmaj7 and nobody would notice, though it doesn't contain the root and 7th.

Hello is a Cmaj7add9

What it is depends a lot on the musical context. So, it matters what comes before and what goes after. The name is what matters the least.
Fernando (FMR)

Hi, i'm sorry but in this contexte we have five notes. We have a Cmaj7 and you add a 9. this is the closer way to write these chords. In jazz theory, it's a Cmaj7add9 but you can also write Em7/C but it's more modern and less readable.

An E chord, period, with a C bass is nonsense. There is no C in it. an unnecessary complication of a simple matter.
Even if you assert that as an Em add m6, the thing is a C^7, ie., the complication ‘added tone’ has no real use value (add m6 in the bass absurd), and the ear should know the harmony for what it is.
the 9 can be called ’add9’ or not, albeit I don’t when the 7th is present.

Regarding the “nonsense” of the slash chord “Em7/C”, I failed to elaborate, and the remark may be taken for more than it is, and be my responsibility basically. It isn’t that C isn’t part of a harmony on E per se, it’s that it_is_a C^7 (9), a simple matter, and the other name occludes the fact.

OTOH, say you want to write “Em7/A#” there’s no problem really, it’s as simple a designation as we’re going to have for that. While say an ‘Em7/C#’ is the grey area, C#ø7 b9 (C#m7 b5 b9) being not simpler really than that slash designation.

Return to “Music Theory”