f. 'em - a new FM synth from Tracktion

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
chipsynth OPS7 F.'em FM8

EvilDragon wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 12:40 pm
Tj Shredder wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 10:41 amBut that is what eats the CPU for breakfast. The advantage is that the rest of the DAW can still run with a bigger block size…
Or are they smart enough to only get to that minimum block size if there is a feedback in the patch?
DAW always operates in blocks (your audio interface buffer size), and this buffer size is what the plugin ultimately hands over to host. However, plugin's internal processing doesn't at all need to comply to that. And I mean, VAZ Modular is old and low CPU yet it still does per sample processing. It's all about what sort of algorithms you're running.
And it's the reason why Bitwig doesn't support 1 unit sample feedback , they should have made the grid run on separate audio thread within bitwig itself , imho a missed opportunity
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

If you have 2 logical modules A and B (for example an oscillator and a filter) if you process them per-block, the whole state for each can fit in CPU registers and don't need to be written to memory at each sample. If you have a lot of modules and process them per samples, it will definitely be slower.

▒░░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░░▒▒▒▒░░▒▒▒▒░░░░░░▒▒▒▒▓▓▒▒▒▒░░░░░░░░▒▒▒▒░░▒▒▒▒▒▒░░▒▒░░▒▒░░▒▒▒▒░░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒
▒▒░░▒▒▓▓▒▒░░▓▓▒▒░░▒▒▒▒▒▒░░░░▓▓░░▒▒░░░░░░▓▓▒▒░░▒▒▒▒░░▒▒▒▒▓▓▒▒▒▒░░░░▒▒▒▒░░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░░▒▒▒▒░░▒▒▒▒░░▒▒▒▒▒▒░░▒▒▒▒░░░░▒▒▒
Last edited by noiseresearch on Mon Nov 20, 2023 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
/* whitenoise */ /* abandon */ /* reincarnated */

noiseresearch wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 2:21 pm The first time I demoed f.'em after the initial release for quite a while and left it aside as I was disappointed. Just came from a second test round (plus having the 30$ offer in mind) does not change anything :D Still disappointed. This synth is a mess (and a missed opportunity) ofc – IMHO.
I grant you its not the prettiest synth in the world and I had the same thoughts the first time I tried it (on release). It is very much 'knobs, buttons, tabs and pages' (almost the opposite of minimalist and stylised synths by Dawsome) but it can create some great sounds and its MPE so that's enough boxes ticked for me...
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

▒░░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░░▒▒▒▒░░▒▒▒▒░░░░░░▒▒▒▒▓▓▒▒▒▒░░░░░░░░▒▒▒▒░░▒▒▒▒▒▒░░▒▒░░▒▒░░▒▒▒▒░░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒
▒▒░░▒▒▓▓▒▒░░▓▓▒▒░░▒▒▒▒▒▒░░░░▓▓░░▒▒░░░░░░▓▓▒▒░░▒▒▒▒░░▒▒▒▒▓▓▒▒▒▒░░░░▒▒▒▒░░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░░▒▒▒▒░░▒▒▒▒░░▒▒▒▒▒▒░░▒▒▒▒░░░░▒▒▒
Last edited by noiseresearch on Mon Nov 20, 2023 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
/* whitenoise */ /* abandon */ /* reincarnated */

FM8 still holds top spot for me. Even though its got an old ass UI.

vertibration wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 4:56 pm FM8 still holds top spot for me. Even though its got an old ass UI.
and its only $10 at pluginboutique

https://www.pluginboutique.com/product/ ... h/8001-FM8

The UI is really small though and it looks like it has not been updated in a while

I don't really like how it's laid out and I hate dark GUIs, but it's still an insanely powerful synth and at that price I had to pick it up.
I've had it in my shopping-list since launch, waiting for it to drop at around $70-80, so...

I was missing a dedicated FM synth with the matrix, which also supported MPE.
I'm ok with fixed FM algos for hardware emulations, but other than that I find the FM matrix much more enjoyable.

It might be just an impression, but the VST2 version seems more stable and CPU efficient than VST3, at least here on REAPER.

Folks do someone was lucky to find simple init patch in this beast ? There is ability to init preset at all ?

Another moment - every time at run plugin, he suggest to install content (v1.0), although i already did it (twice) before.

And else, very long loading in DAW, i think it'a about half minute (hdd idle during that).

I use VST2 (Win10)

c_voltage wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 4:43 pm Folks do someone was lucky to find simple init patch in this beast ? There is ability to init preset at all ?

Another moment - every time at run plugin, he suggest to install content (v1.0), although i already did it (twice) before.

And else, very long loading in DAW, i think it'a about half minute (hdd idle during that).

I use VST2 (Win10)
I couldn’t find an init patch so I made one using one of the bass presets. You can init a layer by double clicking the trash can

I also get that annoying content nag screen.

c_voltage wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 4:43 pm Folks do someone was lucky to find simple init patch in this beast ? There is ability to init preset at all ?
There is one patch called Liquid Sine Wobble which is close to being an Init patch. You can disable the Level LFO for the 7th operator and go from there.

Or click the trash icon for each layer you're going to use.

Kvrers apparently love the name. I don't. It's childish.

(I'm not the one to shy from faul language, btw, not at all).

Can't wait for "Big f**king dick in yo mama's mouth synth" in the next Arturia's V collection, though.

k

Is this synth doing low pass filtering to stop aliasing or something? I'd imagine aliasing can be pretty bad when you go wild with frequency modulation if you don't filter in some way, and I'm trying to quantify what I don't like about this synths overall sound character. I think it might be something about the high end. When I think of FM synth sounds I really like, I think of sparky, crystalline, polished highs, while this synth feels unpolished in the high and high mids to my ear. The mid range feels cramped and boxy on a lot of sounds to me. If anyone else has a clue what I'm talking about and hears anything similar but might have more insight, lemme know. Maybe my idea about it being an aggressive AA filter is wild garbage!

this synth is very good i don t know why you feel it s bad, maybe the Ui, sonically it s not really special or like a old yamaha sound but the possbilities can lead to plenty of great sounds, imo it s underrated .

kobal wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 1:24 pm this synth is very good i don t know why you feel it s bad, maybe the Ui, sonically it s not really special or like a old yamaha sound but the possbilities can lead to plenty of great sounds
It's interesting though how most of the patches don't make use of the 11 ops - makes me wonder is it just that many are not really needed or more the level of complexity that many OPs entails is challenging for sound designers to really make full use of (which I can relate to)

Return to “Instruments”