Why do use Logic?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

machinesworking wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 5:12 pm Absolutely a bad idea to buy Apple software in ebay, you will either end up with a crack, or a version of Logic from before it was on the App Store which will never run on your M1.

The best way to buy Logic is through Apple. They have a deal for students where you get Final Cut Pro along with it for the same price as Logic alone. https://www.apple.com/us-edu/shop/produ ... -education
Moreover the current version of Logic has been in active development for nine years now, and Apple still provides pretty beefy point upgrades once or twice a year, tho admittedly it's been a while since the last one.

Who knows how long the current version will be in development, but they've since changed the name from "Logic Pro X" to "Logic Pro" so maybe it really is intended to stick around for the long haul. Not bad for 200 bucks.

Etienne1973 wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 6:19 pm Official way to test the latest incarnation of Logic Pro fully functional for 90 days: https://www.apple.com/logic-pro/trial/

3 whole months to get familiar with all workflow ways Logic provides and you (as user) decide which route to go freely, almost always. Focus is the key. 1 thing at a time, memorize and next.

Maybe you end up with the conclusion that Logic Pro isn't made for you but at least you really did try. :wink:
100% thank you! That's cool as!

I got annoyed and just had a fight doing a new install of MacOS on this piece of..

It feels brand new though, its a year old and a clean install has made a difference to the response/speed. I'll follow that link and get logic demo installed, thank you again 🙏🏽

A unique Logic feature (AFAIK) is Smart Quantize. Very nifty.

In general, if you have a Mac it’s kinda the no-brainer option and can do both a traditional workflow and the clip launcher style like Bitwig and Ableton.

got used to it

dikrek wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 7:32 pm A unique Logic feature (AFAIK) is Smart Quantize. Very nifty.

In general, if you have a Mac it’s kinda the no-brainer option and can do both a traditional workflow and the clip launcher style like Bitwig and Ableton.
smart quantize sounds good, i only recently found an option like that i'm Waveform so it automatically does the quantization as I play it in, as opposed to clicking quantize after recording the part. It behaves like an MPC now which has sped up the workflow.

i haven't downloaded the Logic trial yet, but i've got it open in my browser :tu:

ON BEATS wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 5:04 am
dikrek wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 7:32 pm A unique Logic feature (AFAIK) is Smart Quantize. Very nifty.

smart quantize sounds good, i only recently found an option like that i'm Waveform so it automatically does the quantization as I play it in, as opposed to clicking quantize after recording the part. It behaves like an MPC now which has sped up the workflow.

i haven't downloaded the Logic trial yet, but i've got it open in my browser :tu:
That’s not what smart quantise does though.

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/guide/l ... 6a2df2/mac

now reading!

oh that's sick! but... generally when I play instruments things like piano I will deliberately not use quantize at all. sometimes a few drums aren't quantized for the same reason. bongos and now and then the hi hats are kept natural for effect.

that's kinda sick tho! an intelligent 'engine' working with the creator.

Plus the sheer amount of money you’ll save since Apple doesn’t charge every year for updates. Any other software and you’ll pay a fortune over 10 years to keep it up to date.

Well, apart from FL Studio, but that’s not even remotely in the same class.

dikrek wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 5:12 pm Plus the sheer amount of money you’ll save since Apple doesn’t charge every year for updates. Any other software and you’ll pay a fortune over 10 years to keep it up to date.

That's only partially true, Logic runs on newer Macs only. I have a perfectly fine 09 Mac Pro that I added 12 core 3.3 Xeons to, 96GB RAM, 16TB HD, two M.2 drives in the PCI bus for the boot drive and sample libraries etc. It is not allowed to run the latest version of Logic because it runs Mojave, which DP11, Live 11, Reaper 6, and Bitwig 4.3 all run fine on.

So in order to run the latest version of Logic you must run the latest OS on a machine that's deemed compatible. This is fine for most Mac users I guess, but you are not allowed to step off the upgrade cycle if you want to run the latest version of Logic. (I could further hack my machine to run Monterey or at least Big Sur, and it would probably work, but the point remains, to do it above the board without using x86 hacks, you must upgrade your Macs to newer ones.

At this point it remains the most logical reason not to use Logic.

That's a shame machinesworking.

Which DAW do you use out of interest? Thanks!

machinesworking wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 5:58 pm
dikrek wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 5:12 pm Plus the sheer amount of money you’ll save since Apple doesn’t charge every year for updates. Any other software and you’ll pay a fortune over 10 years to keep it up to date.

That's only partially true, Logic runs on newer Macs only. I have a perfectly fine 09 Mac Pro that I added 12 core 3.3 Xeons to, 96GB RAM, 16TB HD, two M.2 drives in the PCI bus for the boot drive and sample libraries etc. It is not allowed to run the latest version of Logic because it runs Mojave, which DP11, Live 11, Reaper 6, and Bitwig 4.3 all run fine on.

So in order to run the latest version of Logic you must run the latest OS on a machine that's deemed compatible. This is fine for most Mac users I guess, but you are not allowed to step off the upgrade cycle if you want to run the latest version of Logic. (I could further hack my machine to run Monterey or at least Big Sur, and it would probably work, but the point remains, to do it above the board without using x86 hacks, you must upgrade your Macs to newer ones.

At this point it remains the most logical reason not to use Logic.
Sure but it seems you’ll spend the money one way or another.

09 Mac + 13 years of Ableton updates costs how much?

My 2015 MBP runs the latest OS but won’t run the one releasing in the fall, but I can still run the latest Logic for another year, maybe 2.

So one can run recent Logic for about 7-9 years.

Most people update computers at least that frequently.

I think it is even fine for 5 years circle!

I'm intending to use Logic again soon. I already have my license but I don't have Mac now! It is coming anyway, nothing fancy! It is the same M1 I had before but in a Mini Mac shape not Macbook Air.

I think I will use Logic only and some of the soft instruments I have. I'm not sure if it will be native M1 only because of the audio interface driver, so if I can avoid Rosetta, I would do that!

Logic Pro is fine especially the new features/enhancements in 10.7 are really nice. I doubt I would need another DAW really. If things won't be smooth (which I doubt), I still have S1 Pro and Cubase 12 Pro licenses. But I don't want it to be a mess like before! I just want one DAW this time.

I don't think I need that learning, just a little bit of getting used to the new shortcuts, but I mostly remember most of them. Anyway, it won't be that difficult.

I like Logic's workflow and design actually more than Cubase. It is nearer to S1 than to Cubase, but has lots of details in its tools. It has better plugins than both S1 and Cubase IMO, and no dongle or activation needed! It has free updates if you keep current with OS and hardware! I think for Mac user it is a no brainer unless there are reasons to use another DAW of course! But for the basic needs, it is hard to beat!

dikrek wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 7:27 pm Sure but it seems you’ll spend the money one way or another.

09 Mac + 13 years of Ableton updates costs how much?
Live 8 was 2009, so ostensibly probably around $750, Live is also one of the most expensive DAWs to upgrade besides subscription services, but point taken for sure.

ON BEATS wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 6:59 pm That's a shame machinesworking.

Which DAW do you use out of interest? Thanks!
I use Digital Performer, but I don't care about upgrade costs, DP is always $200 every 3-4 years, none of them are that bad, the subscription services like Pro Tools are spendy IMO, but people that need it don't care. I mean I own Logic, Bitiwig and Live as well, and Live is up to date.

EnGee wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 10:12 pm
I think I will use Logic only and some of the soft instruments I have. I'm not sure if it will be native M1 only because of the audio interface driver, so if I can avoid Rosetta, I would do that!
I run Native and Rosetta together and it's fine. DAW and instruments/fx are Native, and my Korg MIDI connect app is Intel/Rosetta. It doesn't slow the computer at all.

I can install whatsapp app or messenger app for mac and they both install as Intel with no performance issues 🙏🏽

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”