SFZ format documentation

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Bjoerns Sample Mapper

I copied the post from above into a text editor. It looks like it copies over fine. :)
C/R, dongles & other intrusive copy protection equals less-control & more-hassle for consumers. Company gone-can’t authorize. Limit to # of auths. Instability-ie PACE. Forced internet auths. THE HONEST ARE HASSLED, NOT THE PIRATES.

Template looks nice, yes. We could put it up on sfzformat, or maybe better yet, add a templates repo to sfzinstruments and link to that.

A templates repo would be nice! I’d love to see many templates that cover different purposes. 🙂
C/R, dongles & other intrusive copy protection equals less-control & more-hassle for consumers. Company gone-can’t authorize. Limit to # of auths. Instability-ie PACE. Forced internet auths. THE HONEST ARE HASSLED, NOT THE PIRATES.

Do you use Github? I could make a repo and you could just upload this as a contribution. If you're not on Github then we can upload this with your permission. For open-source culture, it'd be nice to include license information... if you want people to be able to reuse this, modify it, and distribute instruments that use this template with a minimum of restrictions, I guess CC-0 is the closest to "do whatever you want"?

audiojunkie wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 7:21 pm My goal is that anyone should be able to copy & paste the above generic pitched instrument SFZ template and be able to easily make SFZ instruments.
By the way, this was also the idea of Björn's Sample Mapper, a small free editor for SFZ files. It can't do everything, but it allows a user to easily import the files and also read things like loop points from the files.

And it has a graphical overview, because one of my bigger problems with the SFZ format was detecting errors. That's actually pretty easy with the sample mapper: drag the file into the window and you can see areas that overlap or where mappings are missing.

DSmolken wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 6:46 am Do you use Github? I could make a repo and you could just upload this as a contribution. If you're not on Github then we can upload this with your permission. For open-source culture, it'd be nice to include license information... if you want people to be able to reuse this, modify it, and distribute instruments that use this template with a minimum of restrictions, I guess CC-0 is the closest to "do whatever you want"?
I’m not on github, but I agree that it needs to be licensed so that people won’t be afraid to use it wherever and however they want. CC-0 should be fine. 🙂

mrbbojahr wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 7:05 am
audiojunkie wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 7:21 pm My goal is that anyone should be able to copy & paste the above generic pitched instrument SFZ template and be able to easily make SFZ instruments.
By the way, this was also the idea of Björn's Sample Mapper, a small free editor for SFZ files. It can't do everything, but it allows a user to easily import the files and also read things like loop points from the files.

And it has a graphical overview, because one of my bigger problems with the SFZ format was detecting errors. That's actually pretty easy with the sample mapper: drag the file into the window and you can see areas that overlap or where mappings are missing.
Right, It’s a great idea, but it isn’t cross platform to support Linux. I wish it was. 😟

As far as Linux goes, I’m finding that a combination of tools works best:

* An audio editor (or Bliss sampler) for grabbing and preparing the initial samples
* LoopAuditioneer for sample looping
* Polyphone (or a sfz template) for mapping
* LinuxSampler, Sfizz, Liquidsfz or sfzero for playing the instrument.

audiojunkie wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 4:25 pm
Right, It’s a great idea, but it isn’t cross platform to support Linux. I wish it was. 😟
Some users are successfully using the sample mapper with WINE, that should work with Linux too, right?

Before there was a real Mac version, I used this myself for years on the Mac with WINE.

Or is there really interest to get a real Linux version of this? I've had many requests for a Mac version in the last few years, but no one has asked for Linux.
Answers gladly also by PM, so I don't take over the thread here with another topic...

I would absolutely LOVE a linux version! It would have to support high resolution screens in order for it to be usable for me, but yes there is a very real interest in a native version. I take it you are the developer? And yes, we can go to PM to avoid thread hijacking. 🙂

audiojunkie wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 5:26 pm You have my absolute permission to to add the template to sfzformat.com!! I finally have something to give back to the community!! :) Make it whatever license you think is best for everyone's future use so that it can be edited, corrected, or improved. Do you need me to email a copy to you, or will a copy/paste from the post above work?
Made a templates repo in https://github.com/sfzinstruments/sfzte ... /tree/main and put yours there. Take a look and lemme know if you want anything changed.

And if anybody else's got templates feel free to either post them here for me to upload, or stick them in Github directly. One thing I think we could use would be a basic template for drum machine one-shot samples with General MIDI-ish note assignments.

That looks great! How does template improvements work? For example, if I found a problem to fix or made an improvement to the template?

Edit: would it be possible to make a “Templates” link, like the link you have for “Downloads” and “rgc:audio SFZ Test Suite” in the Downloads section of the SFZ Instruments site? It’s really hard to find the Templates repository if you don’t know exactly where to look.
Last edited by audiojunkie on Sat Aug 06, 2022 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

If you have a Github account, that's a public repository so anybody can contribute. That opens a "pull request", which is approved is merged into the "main" branch which people can then download.

I can see more and more that I really need to get a Github account so that I can do changes like these and to file bug reports and feature requests for various Github projects.

Edit: would it be possible to make a “Templates” link, like the link you have for “Downloads” and “rgc:audio SFZ Test Suite” in the Downloads section of the SFZ Instruments site? It’s really hard to find the Templates repository if you don’t know exactly where to look.

Hello again @DSmolken,

1. Maybe you can add an entry 'for Kate' with hyperlink
https://www.pling.com/p/1840691/
to the "Syntax Highlighting" table on http://sfzformat.com/software/tools/

Kate (https://kate-editor.org/) is a cross-platform text editor; I stumbled upon the 'SFZ Syntax Highlighting File' announcement over at LinuxMusicians
https://linuxmusicians.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=24688

2. FYI, the link for 'SFZed' in the "Editors" table redirects to http://steveholt.drealm.info/sfZed.html

3. FYI, the link for 'SFZ Designer' in the "Editors" table is dead;
found the following on WayBack machine, but the program download links do not work:
http://web.archive.org/web/202002031423 ... fzdesigner

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”