2022: A Year in Gear (What You've Bought or Want to Buy in 2022)

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS
thecontrolcentre
KVRAF
33110 posts since 27 Jul, 2005 from the wilds of wanny

Post Mon Aug 08, 2022 7:50 am

thecontrolcentre wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 3:36 pm Image
2M Screened MIDI Male and Female Connection Cable 5 Pin Din
I ordered this cable on ebay last thursday. The package arrived today containing a standard 5-pin Male to Male MIDI cable. Not what I ordered. I contacted the seller who told me they do not stock that particular cable (even though they are advertising it for sale on ebay) and after an hour arguing with them on the phone they said they would issue a refund. :x

elxsound
KVRAF
8352 posts since 18 Aug, 2007 from NYC

Post Mon Aug 08, 2022 8:28 am

That’s brutal!

elxsound
KVRAF

Post Mon Aug 08, 2022 8:45 am

Got my 8020Ds today. It took a bit longer than I'm used to, but I can't complain because of the price. Now I have to buy stands and the sub, plus sell off my JBL 308s.

Also delivered today is another cradle for the Elektron boxes. I had to swap them around because the newer ones are a bit thinner. It's actually great for space-saving, but I just wasn't expecting it. Syntakt is sitting in the new cradle.

I'll need to make more changes once I choose my stands, get the sub, and get a stand for the Oto Machines boxes. Hopefully, the Oto Machine stand will come sometime next month, but I do like how things are coming together.

*And yeah, there's a layer of dust on everything. Between the ceiling and getting a new refrigerator after the last broke, it's been nuts with lots of dust, debris, and little music-making time. But I hope that changes soon... maybe after we decide on joining the inevitable cat family on these music boards.

justin3am
KVRAF
11907 posts since 7 May, 2006 from Southern California

Post Mon Aug 08, 2022 10:32 am

Congrats on the Genelecs! Those Elektron stands look really nice.

I have all but decided that my next project will be a clone of the Buchla Music Easel, based on the 208p kit from Samodular. https://www.samodular.com/product/208-e ... s-bundles/

I think I'll use a 10 or 12 space case, so I can add a few other modules. Maybe an SOU, 291e...

bharris22
KVRAF
2284 posts since 3 Mar, 2010

Post Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:13 am

thecontrolcentre wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 4:24 pm
elxsound wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 3:53 pm
Not cheap, but I wanted this for the Norns: https://www.etsy.com/listing/1277353885 ... e_10&crt=1

I’ve been resisting Norns Shield because I’m telling myself I have no business learning something completely new. Maybe 2023?
Looks tasty ... not sure what it is/does.

EDIT it's a case :oops:

GIYF

"norns shield

A DIY circuit which extends a normal Raspberry Pi, turning it into a norns.
The norns shield is open source hardware. monome sells a complete kit so that you can get straight to making sound with code."
That's a gorgeous case. I heartily recommend getting a Norns Shield if you can. It has been the single most inspirational piece of equipment I have bought since the pandemic began. The creativity and imagination of those who have made scripts for it (and there are many) is truly astounding.

PS - while there is a learning curve if you want to code your own scripts, downloading and using the existing scripts is very easy.

thecontrolcentre
KVRAF

Post Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:26 am

elxsound wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 8:45 am Got my 8020Ds today.
Nice one. They'll be even better when you add the sub (& stands). I couldn't believe the difference in my mixes once I got used to my Genelecs (1029A + 1091A). They still sound great 14 years later. That Electron cradle looks pretty smart too :tu:

elxsound
KVRAF

Post Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:31 am

bharris22 wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:13 am
thecontrolcentre wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 4:24 pm
elxsound wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 3:53 pm
Not cheap, but I wanted this for the Norns: https://www.etsy.com/listing/1277353885 ... e_10&crt=1

I’ve been resisting Norns Shield because I’m telling myself I have no business learning something completely new. Maybe 2023?
Looks tasty ... not sure what it is/does.

EDIT it's a case :oops:

GIYF

"norns shield

A DIY circuit which extends a normal Raspberry Pi, turning it into a norns.
The norns shield is open source hardware. monome sells a complete kit so that you can get straight to making sound with code."
That's a gorgeous case. I heartily recommend getting a Norns Shield if you can. It has been the single most inspirational piece of equipment I have bought since the pandemic began. The creativity and imagination of those who have made scripts for it (and there are many) is truly astounding.

PS - while there is a learning curve if you want to code your own scripts, downloading and using the existing scripts is very easy.
I’m trying so hard to ignore all the Norns and Norns shield owners who say the exact same thing! Seriously I’ve like almost everything I’ve heard from one of these.

The only issue is I can’t sleep on the exchange price change on the Genelec stuff. Now that I know these little 8020s are here I just placed my order for the sub.

I don’t think I’ll make the cutoff for the current iteration. I’m hoping, considering how popular these are, it’ll just be different hardware and maybe I can buy then?

elxsound
KVRAF

Post Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:37 am

thecontrolcentre wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:26 am
Nice one. They'll be even better when you add the sub (& stands). I couldn't believe the difference in my mixes once I got used to my Genelecs (1029A + 1091A). They still sound great 14 years later. That Electron cradle looks pretty smart too :tu:
I can’t wait (I’m excited). I just ordered the sub. I’m probably ordering the stands tomorrow? I’m just not liking the price at $99 each, but at this point I’m all in so I better get over it.

***EDIT*** Desktop stands ordered. Still cheaper from the UK even with shipping.

Stands are made by this shop: https://www.etsy.com/shop/NoizziHardwood

Very cool people and good quality too. They build upon sale, and keep available stock low to not fall behind on orders.
Last edited by elxsound on Mon Aug 08, 2022 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

elxsound
KVRAF

Post Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:39 am

justin3am wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 10:32 am Congrats on the Genelecs! Those Elektron stands look really nice.

I have all but decided that my next project will be a clone of the Buchla Music Easel, based on the 208p kit from Samodular. https://www.samodular.com/product/208-e ... s-bundles/

I think I'll use a 10 or 12 space case, so I can add a few other modules. Maybe an SOU, 291e...
That looks intensive. I really like their cases.

thecontrolcentre
KVRAF

Post Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:41 am

elxsound wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 8:28 am That’s brutal!
It really annoyed me earlier. They were making out that I had made an error in my order until I got them to check their eBay shop. I got a refund this evening.

cryophonik
KVRAF
8457 posts since 7 Sep, 2006 from Roseville, CA

Post Mon Aug 08, 2022 8:08 pm

:party: :party: :party:

I love my 8020Ds! I’ve got the same sub you’re planning to buy and it’s a killer combo for my room!

Oh, and big :tu: on those Elektron stands! I need a couple of those!
Logic Pro | Prophet 6 | PolyBrute | Prophet Rev2 | Virus TI | Novation Peak | Sub37 | Slim Phatty | Minitaur | SE1X | AR4mk2 | RYTMmk2 | Syntakt | Digitakt | Pulse 2

mikeyfam1
KVRer
23 posts since 16 Jul, 2022

Post Tue Aug 09, 2022 5:43 am

WesAudio Dione/Rhea
Komplete Kontrol S49 MK2 Black Keys
Merging Anubis
On the hunt for an MPE controller or maybe the Expressive E Touche

elxsound
KVRAF

Post Tue Aug 09, 2022 5:45 am

WMD Devices is closing shop: https://wmdevices.com/blogs/news/important-news

They’re running a 30% off deal on most gear (excluding Performance Mixer, Metron, and 3 new releases).

foosnark
KVRAF
6387 posts since 9 Jan, 2003 from Saint Louis MO

Post Tue Aug 09, 2022 6:12 am

elxsound wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 5:45 am WMD Devices is closing shop: https://wmdevices.com/blogs/news/important-news
This seems like a bad sign. AFAIK they're the first well-established "big" Eurorack brand to close up shop for economic reasons rather than personal ones. (*)

I don't know if they still do it, but they used to handle contract manufacturing for a few other brands as well.

I'm really curious about that new VCO but I just can't throw the money without even hearing it. (And really, I think I have my case just the way I want it and don't know where I'd squeeze it in.)

(*) outside of Eurorack, Synthesizers.com and FutreRetro were also killed by the current mess.

pekbro
KVRAF
4988 posts since 29 Sep, 2010 from Maui

Post Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:18 am

Sad news indeed about WMD, I kinda feel bad for never having wanted to buy anything from them really, I feel worse as that's still the case it seems.

*There are a couple things I would probably buy at this point, if they had any...
Last edited by pekbro on Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”