Trackball or Mouse?

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

zerocrossing wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 11:45 pm Kensington Expert Mouse. You’ll thank me later.
This is exactly what I've been waiting to do for ages. The resistance to learn trackballs is enormous though. How long did it take you to train yourself?

/C
CLUB VICE for ARTURIA PIGMENTS
HARDWARE SAMPLER FANATIC - Akai S1100/S950/Z8 - Casio FZ20m - Emu Emax I - Ensoniq ASR10/EPS

No wait.. Now I have to check out this mouse 😂

is the Kensington Orbit wireless just as good? or does it have to be the Expert model?

i've got both in my eBay basket now 🙈❤️

I switched to trackball to handle severe wrist pain several years ago. Carpal tunnel syndrome is no joke.

Works like wonder, no issues ever after.
Last edited by DJ Warmonger on Mon Aug 08, 2022 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

Switched to a trackball for about 18 months, to avoid the risk of rsi - I got finger-ache (if you'll pardon the expression) and reverted back to using a mouse. This was in the 90s.

As you can see, people use trackballs for medical reasons. I've been using a mouse 10-14 hours a day for more than 25 years. I've tried lots of alternatives but nothing beats a good gaming mouse like my R.A.T. 4 -

I can adjust it to fit my hand, it has a thumb rest and I can adjust the sensitivity on the fly. It also has 6 extra buttons you can assign to different functions if you want to.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Mouse. Too many bad memories of playing Missile Command in the 80s.

BONES wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 7:31 am As you can see, people use trackballs for medical reasons. I've been using a mouse 10-14 hours a day for more than 25 years. I've tried lots of alternatives but nothing beats a good gaming mouse like my R.A.T. 4 -

I can adjust it to fit my hand, it has a thumb rest and I can adjust the sensitivity on the fly. It also has 6 extra buttons you can assign to different functions if you want to.
that is an insane creation! looks nuts! if they make a wireless version I'll probably grab one - now checking their website. thanks man! have a sick week as well 🦾

💻🎹🎛🔊

Don't feed the gators,y'all
https://m.soundcloud.com/tonedeadj

assignable buttons sounds insane, if I could have a wireless mouse plus

R - Record
Spacebar - Play/Pause
< - Return to beginning

that would be crazy! I would literally only need the mouse for most functions!

currently looking at this one. I'll wait for Bones' approval

https://www.ebay.de/itm/385000242603
Last edited by ON BEATS on Tue Aug 09, 2022 5:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

You need to install the software to assign those things and I've never bothered but I'm 99% sure you can do exactly that.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

melomood wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:24 am Image
They were really innovative. They had two buttons, when Apple only had 1. Well, Apple always has been 1/2 as good anyway.

Apple is gxy af. I was always against Apple but somebody made me try an iPod a few years ago.

I got sucked into it, and it works well together but I'm a Samsung boy at heart. If the new Samsung laptops didn't get burning hot when searching system settings (view processor and RAM) I would have a Samsung tablet and new laptop for making music. I can't cope with the heat and the fan noises at this stage. I need a quiet room and Apple made the leap.

Samsung should have put the S22 processor in their new laptops instead of Intel, which just gets hot and frustrated like a woman when I'm only browsing eBay. Dex will run Cubase and several other apps on Android - I would have jumped at an opportunity like that.

Maybe a Samsung S22 setup with Nexdock would be good -> https://nexdock.com <- but Samsung should have followed in Apple's footsteps. It works, and the battery lasts all day. I charge the MacBook once a week usually, and that includes beatmaking. I've sat in a studio and made two beats without a charger, and still had over 35% if I remember correctly. I don't carry a charger anywhere. I travelled to and from the studio on a train while using the laptop for browsing and also checking sounds I will pick from (demo projects with vst's open, ready to go). When I got to the studio I played the keyboard in front of them to get their approval. Then you work with the vibe of all ears - much better.

Mobile setups are insane currently, and one of Chris Brown's producers uses an iPad Pro nothing else. He's had songs with Young Jeezy, Jay Z, 50 Cent, Nas, etc 🦾 -> https://www.youtube.com/c/HennyThaBizness

Back on topic *pauses for breath* (sorry guys I might have autism) 😭

I got my trackpad out and connected it this evening. Its so much nicer for posture. I finally understand why laptop users have a separate mouse/trackball/trackpad. I should be okay using the trackpad because there is an app that will let me separate it into gesture buttons, drum pads, x/y FX control and so on -> https://audioswiftapp.com (scroll down the page to see the different layouts in a YouTube preview window).

The MadCatz is really tempting 😭😭

Sorry for the monologue. Hope you all had a good day 👊🏽

ON BEATS wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 7:45 pm Back on topic *pauses for breath* (sorry guys I might have autism) 😭
Don't worry about it. I'm sure many of us can be placed on various spectrums.

Never actually used a trackball. I tend to favour mouse over trackpad - unless it's for using X/Y type modulation of sounds; vector synthesis and such.

Also like Samsung and Toshiba for storage devices.

I had a huge wrist problems for years and switched to Wacom Intuos Pen + Tablet... at first it was a huge drag until you get the grips with it... now I cannot live without it :-)

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”