Tal J-8

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Gas Giant - TAL J-8 Presets TAL-J-8

The lower contrast in the new GUI goes in the right direction IMO. But there is still a fundamental problem with marker/scale lines vs the fader knob contrast balance. Lowering the brightness of the scales could be an easy fix. Besides the whole GUI is a tad overcrowded for my liking.

And I guess that is the difficult part.. You can't please everyone.. I for one prefer how it looked before.
rsp
sound sculptist

I think it would be a good idea to be patient, rewrite a little bit of the code to allow color choices same as Tal Mod. Solve everyones issues with the colors in one fell swoop

hebex wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 8:24 pm But don´t fool yourself to believe that VST-instruments are there yet. There is still a long way to go.
Disagree. There are some top notch emulations that sound pretty much exactly like the hardware, and Model 84 is one of them.
Stormchild

Arashi wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 3:26 am
hebex wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 8:24 pm But don´t fool yourself to believe that VST-instruments are there yet. There is still a long way to go.
Disagree. There are some top notch emulations that sound pretty much exactly like the hardware, and Model 84 is one of them.
software > hardware
my music: http://www.alexcooperusa.com
"It's hard to be humble, when you're as great as I am." Muhammad Ali

LMAO says people who dont own expensive hardware.

No way in hell does any software sound as good as hardware. Y'all on some koolaid thinkin like that.

vertibration wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 6:17 am LMAO says people who dont own expensive hardware.

No way in hell does any software sound as good as hardware. Y'all on some koolaid thinkin like that.
I’ve got a hardware 106 (15 years), 101 (24 years) , Bass Station, Norand Mono, Dreadbox Nymphes.

The analog hardware is only better than the software in thre edge cases: the very deep low end, the very high end, and resonance. In particular however, the Softube Model synths come extremely close. ABL3 sounds very close. And personally, for extremely low bass I use digital FM.

Now the software is much better than the hardware when it comes to noise floor. It’s much cheaper. And when it comes to those vintage synths, much more capable concerning automation and modulation in a host like Bitwig.

Obviously software beats hardware when it comes to speed, workflow and convenience. You are absolutely right about low end, high end and resonance. Those are extremely important, and it absolutely validates why software hasnt hit that mark yet.

Softube is almost there.....almost. Not quite. I think their moog plugin sucked. UAD is the best one so far. Modular - Doepfer, Intellijel, Mutable....they all sound damn close. So I tip my hat to softube.

Too bad softube has their head up their ass when it comes to new product releases, quality workflow updates, and expanding their analog synth emulations.

The audio differences between software and hardware are minute and not important in the context of producing records unless you're a YouTuber wanking over your oscilloscope. I laugh at these arguments tbh. HOME produced a cult synthwave album using mostly the Arturia Mini V, which many say is a bad emulation. Use what you enjoy using but don't kid yourself that anyone listening to your music notices or cares you used hardware instead of plugins.

perpetual3 wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 11:23 am
vertibration wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 6:17 am LMAO says people who dont own expensive hardware.

And personally, for extremely low bass I use digital FM.
Wisdom right here.

vertibration wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 1:11 pm Obviously software beats hardware when it comes to speed, workflow and convenience. You are absolutely right about low end, high end and resonance. Those are extremely important, and it absolutely validates why software hasnt hit that mark yet.

Softube is almost there.....almost. Not quite. I think their moog plugin sucked. UAD is the best one so far. Modular - Doepfer, Intellijel, Mutable....they all sound damn close. So I tip my hat to softube.
Softube mini sucks? Howso?
Intel Core2 Quad CPU + 4 GIG RAM

It absolutely doesn’t suck. It’s one of the best virtual analog software synths at the moment.
electro wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 2:11 pm
vertibration wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 1:11 pm Obviously software beats hardware when it comes to speed, workflow and convenience. You are absolutely right about low end, high end and resonance. Those are extremely important, and it absolutely validates why software hasnt hit that mark yet.

Yeah Model 72 is a mighty fine one. It is my goto minimoog plugin and it sounds very good. I had a few minimoogs HW in the past. Only thing thats not reallly good on it imo is the overload/feedback circuit that is too much too fast and not easy adjustable. I would like they would do a voyager edit with its hp/lp filters and multiple poles.

Vortifex wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 1:35 pm The audio differences between software and hardware are minute and not important in the context of producing records unless you're a YouTuber wanking over your oscilloscope. I laugh at these arguments tbh. HOME produced a cult synthwave album using mostly the Arturia Mini V, which many say is a bad emulation. Use what you enjoy using but don't kid yourself that anyone listening to your music notices or cares you used hardware instead of plugins.
Reminds me of the time when some reddit users wanted to burn their studios after they learned that "the new gold standard in synthwave production" (FM84's "Atlas") was a bunch of u-he plugins on an old imac, played on a korg microkey, mixed with headphones and built-in-speakers.

i guess they've been just shocked by actual songwriting... :)

perpetual3 wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 10:09 pm It absolutely doesn’t suck. It’s one of the best virtual analog software synths at the moment.
electro wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 2:11 pm

Agreed. I saw his comment, rolled my eyes and decided not to say anything.
I have the UAD, the Legend, the Monark and the 72 and the 72 is my go to MiniMoog, it (like Zebra) just fits into any mix easily.
rsp
sound sculptist

Return to “Instruments”