Limited period trials - Real obstacle in making purchase decisions. A sincere plea to plugin makers.

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I just cant take seriously an opinion from someone called scatman 🤷‍♂️
I wonder what happens if I press this button...

ramseysounds wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 10:09 am I just cant take seriously an opinion from someone called scatman 🤷‍♂️
Wow, aren't you on another level of being judgemental??? :dog:

As if people put their real names or serious names in their usernames!! Grow up man.

Ever heard of a wonderful stammering artist / singer called Scatman? He overcame his disability and turned it into a success. Anyways that's besides the point.

If you have nothing constructive to contribute on the topic, why come here and insult me on my username basis?

I've started a fairly simple, straightforward topic without even hurting anybody or even criticizing anybody. It's a simple request. Still people are acting brashly!!

Internet is a shitty place, people like you prove that point.

Come on, get a user name with professionalism and gravitas.

donkey tugger wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 10:54 am Come on, get a user name with professionalism and gravitas.
Haha!! I surely will donkey tugger!! :hihi:

Blimey. Triggered much? 🙄
Chill out man of scat.
As for your original question. Email the dev and ask for a reboot of the trial period as has been already mentioned. If not, find another vst. There are 1000’s out there and Im sure there are at least 3 that will do what you want. 🤷‍♂️
I wonder what happens if I press this button...

ramseysounds wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 11:14 am Blimey. Triggered much? 🙄
Chill out man of scat.
As for your original question. Email the dev and ask for a reboot of the trial period as has been already mentioned. If not, find another vst. There are 1000’s out there and Im sure there are at least 3 that will do what you want. 🤷‍♂️
Thank you for replying on topic.

My very point is avoiding this emailing, waiting for their reply, etc. When one can easily test drive the plugin after a period with other limitations.

If you have unlimited time demo, it saves a lot of time and energy. It's useful for users & devs both.

Argument of there being 1000s other devs is null as I'm requesting the devs which I happen to like. That's why it's a sincere plea.

Just a more convenient and time saving method.

Perfect examples of unlimited time demos of great devs - (Not a comprehensive list, there might be many others) -
Meldaproduction
Kazrog
Toneboosters (No restriction except saving presets!!!)
Overloud (After a trial period, you can book 10 mins demos online)
Voxengo
Hornet
SIR

I agree with the OP.

Several times, I've wanted to retry a plugin -- maybe not even remembering that I tried it before -- only to discover I can't use the demo because my 30 days expired two years ago. Sometimes there are annoying extra steps I've already taken -- giving them my email address, downloading a download manager (ugh), signing into iLok, whatever -- and now I feel like it's been a waste of my time.

I know I could ask for an extension, but my immediate response is always "f**k it, uninstall."

30 days seems like a generous amount of time to be able to try a product, but honestly, I almost always make my decision in a few minutes, or a couple hours if it's a harder choice. It's been pretty rare that I've come back to try it for a second session within a few hours/days of the first try.

But go several weeks or months later, maybe they've added a new feature, or someone praised it in a thread in a way that got my attention, or I'm specifically looking for a new whatever-it-is? Or my musical needs have changed? I might want to try it again. But any speed bump in that process is likely to deflect me from bothering with it.

Make sure you have a good uninstaller that will remove all registry entries.

Like Revo uninstaller for instance. It's like the plugin was never installed and you can start your trial over again.

Developers are just trying to protect themselves from piracy or just giving their hard work away.

foosnark wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 12:31 pm I agree with the OP.

Several times, I've wanted to retry a plugin -- maybe not even remembering that I tried it before -- only to discover I can't use the demo because my 30 days expired two years ago. Sometimes there are annoying extra steps I've already taken -- giving them my email address, downloading a download manager (ugh), signing into iLok, whatever -- and now I feel like it's been a waste of my time.

I know I could ask for an extension, but my immediate response is always "f**k it, uninstall."

30 days seems like a generous amount of time to be able to try a product, but honestly, I almost always make my decision in a few minutes, or a couple hours if it's a harder choice. It's been pretty rare that I've come back to try it for a second session within a few hours/days of the first try.

But go several weeks or months later, maybe they've added a new feature, or someone praised it in a thread in a way that got my attention, or I'm specifically looking for a new whatever-it-is? Or my musical needs have changed? I might want to try it again. But any speed bump in that process is likely to deflect me from bothering with it.
Very well said foosnark. My feelings exactly. Most likely I will say f**k it, I will try another dev's product if I am faced with "Your trial period is over"!

Dirk Diggler wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 12:36 pm Make sure you have a good uninstaller that will remove all registry entries.

Like Revo uninstaller for instance. It's like the plugin was never installed and you can start your trial over again.

Developers are just trying to protect themselves from piracy or just giving their hard work away.
Many of us musicians / mixers on KVR never use pirated software (I never have used it ever).
I agree that nobody should be able to pirate devs' hard work. That's the reason I am completely ok with limitations like noise insert / render disable. In fact, that's more limiting than fully featured 15 - 30 days trials.

That's a great tip about registry Dirk! Thank you, next time I will try that.

Return to “Effects”