End of Cubase? Performance Meter Average picking to 99% with very few Fx plugins

Plug-in hosts and other software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
wuworld
KVRist
244 posts since 7 Nov, 2009 from DC

Post Sat Aug 13, 2022 2:30 pm

zvenx wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 10:04 am I generally don't have cpu issues with cubendo except with plugin alliance stuff which I have stopped using.
Their copy protection has issues with low buffers in cubendo. No i can't say how i know this. But yeah I would avoid pa stuff if you are running at low latencies. ( don't know if you are).
Instead i use fabfilter, Softube, uad, fuse audio et al to mix, and have never had that issue whilst mixing again.

And yes I reported it several times to PA over the last probably five or more years.
rsp
Forgot to ask. What third party plugins mix wise work well for in in Cubase? Thanks.

zvenx
KVRAF
11544 posts since 16 Feb, 2005 from Kingston, Jamaica

Post Sat Aug 13, 2022 5:46 pm

Nope.. Well I am not sure.
I tried them two years after that ticket in 2019, they give issues, I sent another ticket.. and I got a we are observing.
so beyond 'Tantra' I am not using any other PA stuff.

Well of course I think it is their responsibility to fix it,
but if that fix requires them to completely change their copy protection and it probably only affects a small % of their userbase, chances are of their being a fix I would say is completely low.

rsp
sound sculptist

zvenx
KVRAF
11544 posts since 16 Feb, 2005 from Kingston, Jamaica

Post Sat Aug 13, 2022 5:47 pm

wuworld wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 2:30 pm
zvenx wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 10:04 am I generally don't have cpu issues with cubendo except with plugin alliance stuff which I have stopped using.
Their copy protection has issues with low buffers in cubendo. No i can't say how i know this. But yeah I would avoid pa stuff if you are running at low latencies. ( don't know if you are).
Instead i use fabfilter, Softube, uad, fuse audio et al to mix, and have never had that issue whilst mixing again.

And yes I reported it several times to PA over the last probably five or more years.
rsp
Forgot to ask. What third party plugins mix wise work well for in in Cubase? Thanks.

HI I listed a few brands..
Fabfilter, Softube, UAD (both dsp and native), Fuse Audio, I don't use much Waves but I haven't had problems with them...

rsp
sound sculptist

wuworld
KVRist
244 posts since 7 Nov, 2009 from DC

Post Sat Aug 13, 2022 7:23 pm

zvenx wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 5:47 pm
wuworld wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 2:30 pm

rsp

HI I listed a few brands..
Fabfilter, Softube, UAD (both dsp and native), Fuse Audio, I don't use much Waves but I haven't had problems with them...

rsp
Thanks.

mothra
KVRist
116 posts since 15 May, 2003 from R'lyeh

Post Sun Aug 14, 2022 7:28 am

wuworld wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 2:28 pm Have the issues improved for you with PA's stuff? I have their stuff. I bought CP12 Pro recently. If the PA plugins perform bad, is it PA's responsibility to fix it?
I use the Black Box and Townhouse bus compressor on my master output in every single project, never once had any CPU issues because of those. Also the SSL channels (have since gone back to the Waves V2 E channel though), MC-77, etc.. Maybe some of their plugins have issues, but absolutely no trouble with any of the SSL or API channel strips or compressors or anything I own here.

jjpscott01
KVRist
201 posts since 17 Jun, 2012 from East Coast US

Post Mon Aug 15, 2022 2:41 pm

I'm using a modest Ryzen 5 3600 on Windows 10 and I have no problems with Cubase CPU wise using lots of tracks with loads of plugins. As a matter of fact, 12 runs much better than both 11 and 10 on my system. My graphics card is a RX 570 for what its worth. I hope they can get this figured out for you.
Windows 10 PC. Reason. Cubase. Waveform. Reaper. Epiphone Les Paul Pro II. ESP LTD TE-212. Nektar Panorama t4. Yamaha RBX Bass. Faderport. Eris E5 Monitors. SS2 Interface. Audient Evo 4. AKG C214. Aston Origin. MXL 990. Simmons SDX E-DrumKit.

AdvancedFollower
KVRian
1027 posts since 8 May, 2018 from Sweden

Post Mon Aug 15, 2022 11:55 pm

Functional wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 1:21 pm
flugel45 wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 4:40 am Did I miss where OP ran Latencymon? (The fact that he's still groping in the dark says no).

This simple step will identify the task(s) that's using most resources. Honestly, this should have been troubleshoot step #1.
Because it's an useless tool for this. OP isn't confused what running task is causing issues; it's Cubase.
It's obviously not Cubase or everyone would be experiencing the same thing. It's something on OP's system that's making Cubase run poorly.

LatencyMon doesn't just list running tasks, it checks for excessive kernel timer latencies, DPC and ISR execution times as well as hard pagefaults. Those are often caused by drivers or hardware such as Wi-Fi adapters and other peripherals, integrated audio or video controllers or GPU drivers or various control panels, feedback hubs and support tools that some PC manufacturers bundle with their systems. It can also be caused by power saving settings in BIOS.

It's always one of the first things to check whenever you're experiencing performance problems or audio dropouts in a DAW, and it only takes about 5 minutes to run. Only after you have determined that DPC latency isn't the issue, you can move on to other troubleshooting tasks. Otherwise you're just shooting in the dark.

bibz1st
KVRAF
1788 posts since 29 Mar, 2013

Post Tue Aug 16, 2022 1:21 am

My friend has cubase and for long time we had problems with crashing and freezing etc, when he upgraded to version 11 and it crashed there was a more informative error message that mentioned something about gfx. After updating gfx drivers, not had one problem. So maybe its not audio related but gfx, worth a try, unless you have already done that.
Beauty is only skin deep,
Ugliness, however, goes right the way through

BertKoor
KVRAF
13935 posts since 8 Mar, 2005 from Utrecht, Holland

Post Tue Aug 16, 2022 2:53 am

When did we first suggest to run a latency check? And what was the result?

Anyway, looks like the OP is mainly using Reaper and ponders about switching to ProTools :shrug:
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

LeVzi
Banned
4538 posts since 8 Jul, 2008 from UK

Post Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:03 pm

I didn't read through this all, but the buffer size, at least here, has never been an issue. I leave mine at 2048 always, just a habit, and I run C12, with zero issues.

What the OP described to me was a borked system or plugin. Something can just cause chaos on it's own tbh.

I used driverupdater for my PC, updated everything MYSELF not using the automatic download option in the updater, but the program told me certain drivers were out of date. That process alone always keeps DPC latency really small.

Also, check and double check for newer plugin versions. Not very often plugins mess up projects but some can.
Don't trust those with words of weakness, they are the most aggressive

EnGee
KVRAF
8088 posts since 7 Oct, 2005 from Auckland, NZ

Post Tue Aug 16, 2022 11:23 pm

LeVzi wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:03 pm I didn't read through this all, but the buffer size, at least here, has never been an issue. I leave mine at 2048 always, just a habit, and I run C12, with zero issues.
Wow! 2048 buffer size?! Oh, you only mix with Cubase, right?

Cubase is the worst for me in CPU usage! I leave mine at 128 buffer size while I put S1 and Reaper at 64 without any problem. I haven't tested on my mini Mac, but this is what I left it at in the Windows PC (Ryzen 5800x, nVidia 3070).

Anyway, for those with nVidia cards, there is a choice when you install the driver from nVidia. You can choose the 'studio' option which will not install nVidia experience (or just uninstall the experience thing from the App menu). However, if you want the nVidia experience installed, you need to disable the overlay option somewhere in the Experience settings. I think nVidia treat Cubase as a game! So, it keeps running in the background and that what causes most of the problems.
Let's help the people in Ukraine by donating.

LeVzi
Banned
4538 posts since 8 Jul, 2008 from UK

Post Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:06 am

EnGee wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 11:23 pm
LeVzi wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:03 pm I didn't read through this all, but the buffer size, at least here, has never been an issue. I leave mine at 2048 always, just a habit, and I run C12, with zero issues.
Wow! 2048 buffer size?! Oh, you only mix with Cubase, right?

Cubase is the worst for me in CPU usage! I leave mine at 128 buffer size while I put S1 and Reaper at 64 without any problem. I haven't tested on my mini Mac, but this is what I left it at in the Windows PC (Ryzen 5800x, nVidia 3070).

Anyway, for those with nVidia cards, there is a choice when you install the driver from nVidia. You can choose the 'studio' option which will not install nVidia experience (or just uninstall the experience thing from the App menu). However, if you want the nVidia experience installed, you need to disable the overlay option somewhere in the Experience settings. I think nVidia treat Cubase as a game! So, it keeps running in the background and that what causes most of the problems.
Yeah, im not recording anything live. And if I did, i'd drop the buffer size.
Don't trust those with words of weakness, they are the most aggressive

Ah_Dziz
KVRAF
3705 posts since 2 Jul, 2005

Post Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:48 am

I'm cubase I have generally gotten better performance with lower buffers. I can run hundreds of tracks at 128 on my old system but if I crank it up to 2048 then things breakdown (this is with an rme PCIe card).
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

chk071
KVRAF
32539 posts since 11 Apr, 2010 from Germany

Post Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:50 am

Hm, shouldn't that be the other way around? :)

WasteLand
KVRAF
2539 posts since 8 Jun, 2018

Post Wed Aug 17, 2022 9:57 am

Ah_Dziz wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:48 am I'm cubase I have generally gotten better performance with lower buffers. I can run hundreds of tracks at 128 on my old system but if I crank it up to 2048 then things breakdown (this is with an rme PCIe card).
chk071 wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:50 am Hm, shouldn't that be the other way around? :)
perhaps, but it does depend on the CPU, perhaps the CPU gets very lazy at 2048, i.e. power plan?

(for windows, i mean, and with Zen 3 and from intel 12 gen, it does not matter anymore, the power plan, certainly for Zen 3, the CPU has it's own 'mind', it's own 'behavior' for setting clock speeds per core...)
take me as apple as reed-son as flesh-icon, immediately
shits the wise man. hero and blind. take me as
stick as tongue as dog... Indusrial & Sound Brut

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”