Tal J-8

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Gas Giant - TAL J-8 Presets TAL-J-8

Septic Underground wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 6:47 am ... Only thing thats not reallly good on it imo is the overload/feedback circuit that is too much too fast and not easy adjustable. .....
110% with you there..
that overload/feedback needs a redo.
Most times in my own patches anything about 9 oclock is useless.
rsp
sound sculptist

vertibration wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 6:17 am LMAO says people who dont own expensive hardware.

No way in hell does any software sound as good as hardware. Y'all on some koolaid thinkin like that.
I own plenty of hardware, some of it expensive, and you're just plain wrong.
Stormchild

perpetual3 wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 10:09 pm It absolutely doesn’t suck. It’s one of the best virtual analog software synths at the moment.
All three of Softube's "Model" synths are amazing. If I have any complaints, it's that they took the concept of authenticity a bit too far in some cases, with unnecessary limitations like Model 84 only supporting 6 voices and lacking useful features like ENV > PWM (supported by the 6/60 but not the 106…a subtle but really useful tool for making sounds), and I personally don't care for artificial damage like keys yellowed from cigarettes. But they sound extremely close to the hardware, to the point where nearly all of the differences one can find under a microscope are simply not important or even relevant outside of academic analysis.

A far more important difference is the lack of hands-on controls. That's the one area where I think hardware is still unbeatable. But it's not about analog circuits. The System-8, with its equally impressive Juno-106 emulation, is (IMO) every bit as good as having an actual Juno-106…minus one octave, but with features like velocity, second envelope, and arpeggiator that make it superior overall.
Stormchild

Agreed - I theoretically could build a 4 voice 106 in Modular but let me tell you that is not a pleasant experience and the CPU is through the roof.

I also recently got the Roland Cloud Ultimate with Lifetime Keys. Sound is very good but those UIs - terrible.
Arashi wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 1:13 am
perpetual3 wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 10:09 pm It absolutely doesn’t suck. It’s one of the best virtual analog software synths at the moment.
All three of Softube's "Model" synths are amazing. If I have any complaints, it's that they took the concept of authenticity a bit too far in some cases, with unnecessary limitations like Model 84 only supporting 6 voices and lacking useful features like ENV > PWM (supported by the 6/60 but not the 106…a subtle but really useful tool for making sounds), and I personally don't care for artificial damage like keys yellowed from cigarettes. But they sound extremely close to the hardware, to the point where nearly all of the differences one can find under a microscope are simply not important or even relevant outside of academic analysis.

A far more important difference is the lack of hands-on controls. That's the one area where I think hardware is still unbeatable. But it's not about analog circuits. The System-8, with its equally impressive Juno-106 emulation, is (IMO) every bit as good as having an actual Juno-106…minus one octave, but with features like velocity, second envelope, and arpeggiator that make it superior overall.

Why softube would not allow poly for their Juno synth in Modular is dumb AF. Like, did they all sit down and agree that making it harder for users was the better choice? SMH

Arashi wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 12:56 am
vertibration wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 6:17 am LMAO says people who dont own expensive hardware.

No way in hell does any software sound as good as hardware. Y'all on some koolaid thinkin like that.
No Im not.

vertibration wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 2:18 pm

No Im not.
I've got a $4,500 hardware Prophet-10 Rev 4 here. Does that count? Different synth, but I think J-8 is on par with the sound quality once you start playing with the SC trimmers. I can get RePro-5 sounding extremely close to the Rev. 4, but frankly, RePro-5 lacks discrete trimmers to control the slop on the envelopes, filter, and tuning and that's the only reason I think the "hardware still sounds better" in some scenarios (I can't get RePro's envelopes and filter sloppy enough compared to the "Vintage" knob on the hardware with making RePro unusably out of tune). When it comes to playing experience, it's not even close. Hardware wins every time there.

Which expensive hardware synths do you currently have that you've compared to software instruments and think the software falls short of?
Last edited by Funkybot's Evil Twin on Mon Aug 15, 2022 2:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

No Im not.
Your opinion. I think you're just plain wrong too. I have two pieces of vintage gear. I have software versions of both of those and I'd rather use the software because it's close enough and in one of the cases, the SH-2, I have the plug-out on my System 8 so even the hands-on aspect is there.

I really don't get the veneration of old synth gear and I will have no qualms about selling the SH-2 or the Pro-One.

And there is no hardware synth that can produce sounds like Plasmonic, just as example. A Virus hardware produces 100% software sound. I have a Sculpt hardware synth. Its as cheap as software, but most software can beat it in sound. That is why I use it as controller for soft synths, which deliver all the hardware feeling I need… No keybed of any synth can compete with my LinnStrument and that usually feeds soft synths (except for the sculpt…)
But this is a thread about J-8 which is an emulation of an ancient hardware synth. Only a comparison of the hardware with this and other Jupiter emulations make sense here. It should be possible to set up a double blind test of a real Jupiter and an emulation. Using the Jupiter as controller… I don’t know if something like that has ever been done. One could even throw two hardware versions into the game to see how they differ…

If anyone wants to send me 2 hardware Jupiter-8's, I'll happily setup a blind test between those and several software emulations in exchange. :)

vertibration wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 2:17 pm Why softube would not allow poly for their Juno synth in Modular is dumb AF. Like, did they all sit down and agree that making it harder for users was the better choice? SMH
Because Modular itself is mono unless you use the modules that give you up to four voices. Just because they added Juno modules doesn't magically morph their modular software into a polyphonic program.

But why are you moaning about a software company? You have your infinitely superior hardware to go play with instead.

rezoneight wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 2:32 pm
I have software versions of both of those and I'd rather use the software because it's close enough and in one of the cases, the SH-2, I have the plug-out on my System 8 so even the hands-on aspect is there.
You dont even have to plugout, the system8 is automaticly mapped to all legendary synths.
It is really great, wished they would make an upgraded and enhanced version (4 partial structure orsomething like that for using with zenology/jd800/d50 etc) and it dont even has to have an onboard soundengine for me.

zvenx wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 1:03 pm In my experience, Patrick tends to be very shy, so until he starts an official thread.... :).

https://tal-software.com/products/tal-j-8

The company best known for their very accurate Roland synth software emulations (and unbelievable inexpensive pricing), I think this was the most natural next step.

Roland's King/Queen of Analog Synths.. Recreated (with dual/split modes included :))

Tal's Jupiter 8 Emulation.
rsp
Has anyone tested this vs the new Roland Jupiter? Like how close is the VA? I gotta but a LOT of software to replace my gear. Probably need to start reading some reviews.

SpiderMix
Need some Synths
Custom Built MacPro (SpiderMac) Intel Q9450-OC 3.5ghz, 8GB RAM, 1.5TB Hard Drive, Dual 24" LCD Monitors, Focusrite Saffire Audio Interface, Axiom 61 Controller, Roland Fantom G7 Workstation.

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 2:30 pm

No Im not.
I've got a $4,500 hardware Prophet-10 Rev 4 here. Does that count? Different synth, but I think J-8 is on par with the sound quality once you start playing with the SC trimmers. I can get RePro-5 sounding extremely close to the Rev. 4, but frankly, RePro-5 lacks discrete trimmers to control the slop on the envelopes, filter, and tuning and that's the only reason I think the "hardware still sounds better" in some scenarios (I can't get RePro's envelopes and filter sloppy enough compared to the "Vintage" knob on the hardware with making RePro unusably out of tune). When it comes to playing experience, it's not even close. Hardware wins every time there.

Which expensive hardware synths do you currently have that you've compared to software instruments and think the software falls short of?
Having a $4500 Prophet 10 doesnt make you miraculously have good ears buddy. Analog wins all day long

vertibration wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 5:24 pm
Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 2:30 pm

No Im not.

Having a $4500 Prophet 10 doesnt make you miraculously have good ears buddy. Analog wins all day long
Nor does being an internet blowhard.

Return to “Instruments”