Bespoke Synth - Free multi-platform modular DAW

Modular Synth design and releases (Reaktor, SynthEdit, Tassman, etc.)
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Many years ago there was a DAW that in the timeline page to the left of the tracks was a modular space that could be visible on demand and detachable. The modular space will cover all the tracks. On the left wall of the modular space were all the audio and midi outputs and cables used to connect to the nodes of the various audio and midi modules. On the right wall each track will have an audio input node and a midi input node. Here the modules have the freedom to connect to any node of the track as desired.

Question: Is there any modular environment where the tracks have nodes and a transport with record/play/pause capability. For me Bespoke looks promising as a modular environment however I did not find any tracks with nodes.

Kalamata Kid wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 12:33 am
Question: Is there any modular environment where the tracks have nodes and a transport with record/play/pause capability.
have you checked out SunVox? modular environment linked to a tracker.

https://warmplace.ru/soft/sunvox/

also, Bitwig is very modular and open ended. probably not really what you're looking for though.

^^^ Thanks dayjob but SunVox is not for me though it looks very full featured.

What I would like to see is a VST plugin so it can be used in any modular environment. This module will have audio and midi tracks. Each track to have an input node. Add a transport with record/play/pause capability. My feeling is that it exists but somehow I have managed to miss it.

The new mulab is totally modular and fit your description if I understood your post correctly .

^^^
I am looking forward to the release of Mulab 9 App and Mulab 9 Plugin.

In Mux is there a way to connect the instruments or audio fx or midi fx virtual cable directly to the input node of a track? Ok, you would need a module that had tracks and each track an input node.

But almost as good will be to have a module with nodes for each track that represent the Timeline tracks. Perhaps a vertical module with input nodes of all the tracks. Put a small square in Mux and any module that touches it will be automatically connected to the input node of a track in the Timeline

If this is not clear I can try again.
Last edited by Kalamata Kid on Wed Aug 17, 2022 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I think the answer is yes, but frankly I'm not a mulab expert, I think you should ask here : viewforum.php?f=79

Kalamata Kid wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 12:33 am Many years ago there was a DAW that in the timeline page to the left of the tracks was a modular space that could be visible on demand and detachable. The modular space will cover all the tracks. On the left wall of the modular space were all the audio and midi outputs and cables used to connect to the nodes of the various audio and midi modules. On the right wall each track will have an audio input node and a midi input node. Here the modules have the freedom to connect to any node of the track as desired.
Was this the environment of Logic? Its still there in Logic X. But its a pain to just wrap your head around it. There is a reason why its pretty well hidden…
Keep us posted about your Mulab experiences, especially in combination with Bitwig. I also have an eye on it…

This was around 1996 I believe. No it was not Logic. I cannot recall the name of the DAW. My feeling this arrangement of modules and tracks and routing made a lot of sense.

I was not aware that the timeline/tracks and environment in Logic was set up like that.

Back then only 4 major sequencers existed. Logic, Cubase, Vision and Digital Performer. Logic was the one with the environment…
https://www.muzines.co.uk/articles/lip-sync-logic/8235

IIRC around that time there was also thou perhaps not major Passport, Cadenza and Cakewalk. But few with a modular environment. So could be my years are wrong. But then it could be Logic. Perhaps it was an idea for a DAW that never happened.

Maybe it was along the academic development, Patcher-Pd-Max or the Mars…
Symbolic Sound started with Kyma in 1990… I always thought the timeline of Kyma is the most advanced, as it allowed nonlinear movements within, and it certainly has a patch environment…
They just released the Pacamara Ristretto:
https://news.symbolicsound.com/2022/09/ ... retto-apu/

I have read many good things about Kyma. I know very little about it. I know it is very expensive and so I do not think about it.

What I really liked was that the instrument and audio FX and midi modules can me connected to the track nodes in the timeline. It was very clever I thought.

muzys?

Bespoke just got updated to v1.2.0!

new modules:

clockin/clockout: sync bespoke tempo to other devices via midi clock

abletonlink: sync bespoke's tempo to ableton link-enabled apps

songbuilder: pattern control interface to help you turn loops into songs (similar to a tracker's pattern sequencer, but bespokified)

timelinecontrol: take control of bespoke's timeline position

buffershuffler: a new stutter-like tool for slicing up live audio on a grid

...plus a bunch of other utility modules

other cool stuff:

added right-click quickspawn menu system to improve module spawning workflow

added "drag cable into space" spawn system to speed up patch building workflow

many significant additions to push 2 controller integration

renamed presets module to snapshots module, and reframed it to be more useful as a performance/sequencing tool

added a bunch of OSC support

added looping deterministic modes to notechance, notehocket, and other randomization-driven modules

also, fixed a bunch of bugs and crashes.

https://bespokesynth.substack.com/p/bespoke-120

Return to “Modular Synthesis”