One Synth Challenge #161: Synth1 by Ichiro Toda (Vospi Wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Synth1

voted

liqih wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 7:45 am voted, when the OSC hosts with such popular synths and "Commercial fx plugins may be used ", it's nice to have so many entries, but I would like that we limit the track length to 4' or less. So that it would take less time to listen to them all carefully and more than once.
I understand you when I rate 50+ tracks. But on the other hand, it would greatly limit the creative scope for us. It seems to me that the average length of an OSC track is 4-5 minutes as a rule. My last two tracks were 1:50 and 2:50 long, but the 9:30 track for Surge ranked highest among my tracks, that's what I'm talking about)
Also, listening to and commenting on tracks that appear during the month helps in voting. It also encourages some not to linger until the last! :lol:

ⓥⓞⓣⓔⓓ

liqih wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 7:45 am voted, when the OSC hosts with such popular synths and "Commercial fx plugins may be used ", it's nice to have so many entries, but I would like that we limit the track length to 4' or less. So that it would take less time to listen to them all carefully and more than once.
I like this idea and from my mind it can be even shorter than this.

If this is done I probably won't take part anymore. You could instead just listen fewer times to long tracks. In fact I'm thinking about making something 30 to 60 minutes long (with stochas) and if so would tell people they can just randomly listen to 5 minutes of it instead of the whole thing.

Frank Geppert wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 1:35 pm I like this idea and from my mind it can be even shorter than this.
Maybe you can start a separate challenge of commercial jingles.

https://youtu.be/Z-1ik3S6Ct4

once again sadly didn't have time to enter, but enjoyed listening to all the tracks and have cast my votes

Voted! This being my first time entering and voting, it was fun seeing the variety of musical ideas and styles on display. Good luck everyone!

empphryio wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 2:14 pm
If this is done I probably won't take part anymore. You could instead just listen fewer times to long tracks. In fact I'm thinking about making something 30 to 60 minutes long (with stochas) and if so would tell people they can just randomly listen to 5 minutes of it instead of the whole thing.
I think this is the thing. You can make an hour long track but don't expect people to listen to it unless they like it, and accept that some people might decide to take marks off for compositions that don't justify the length.

Double Tap wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 5:18 pm
I think this is the thing. You can make an hour long track but don't expect people to listen to it unless they like it, and accept that some people might decide to take marks off for compositions that don't justify the length.
While I fully understand that point of view, let's not forget that this is a friendly competition about using one chosen synth (still a competition), -fair for all- rules are the juice of a competition, otherwise it would be something else.

As side note I don't agree that rules limit the creativity, actually it's the opposite.

Voted and sorry for lack of comments I'm on holiday and using a mobile device and unable to properly listen like I normally would. Voting using an Android device was an especially painful process this is reflected in the absurd amounts of 4s and 5s I've given. Great tracks from everyone as always.

liqih wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 5:48 pm
Double Tap wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 5:18 pm
While I fully understand that point of view, let's not forget that this is a friendly competition about using one chosen synth (still a competition), -fair for all- rules are the juice of a competition, otherwise it would be something else.

As side note I don't agree that rules limit the creativity, actually it's the opposite.
In fact, OSC "gave the world" some excellent 10+ min tracks that justify their length. Personally, I come here for good music, including, and for me, the fact that innovative in Idea and brilliant in execution tracks are born here, is more important than the competitive element. It's something big and unique that happens here every month. Unfortunately, the world is not yet arranged in such a way that everyone considers it necessary to have a creative hobby. And this challenge motivates people who come to take a fresh look at music or use their basic or "redundant" skills here. But not all ideas can fit in 3-4 minutes, there are slow tempos, genre frames or, conversely, out-of-format things. I just think that limiting the OSC track by time may deprive us of more than giving us some convenience. Because you can listen to tracks for a month, split your voting into several days, in the end just flip through the tracks for five seconds and not tell anyone about it) But not every whole piece of music can be shortened without losing meaning, just imagine it as a short retelling of your favorite book...

@IV! of course I didn't mean to shorten a meaning full piece of music, rather to compose for a defined length. After all we already compose for one synth only and no samples.

Anyway I'm not asking for new rules, I just voiced an idea. Ciao.

Voted!
"We should not kill the earth, we wouldn´t know where to bury it!" - Michel Granger

Count my vote as one against the time limit, not that we are having a vote.
https://soundcloud.com/vospi
I love music, worked with a number of music/rhythm/dance games like Pump It Up, In The Groove, Cytus and Deemo, and teach music production.

Return to “Instruments”