Xhun Audio IronAxe ver 1.8 and its road to Win64/macOS

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
IronAxe

rafa1981 wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 7:42 am
xhunaudio wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 5:12 am I belive the Pro Audio industry is about to enter such big revolution, where virtual instruments and effects will not be "precompiled" and then distributed, but available in a JIT format (to simplify in just 2 words).
For that:

-Many DAWs would have to add support for that virtual machine.
-Many players would have to agree on the standard.
-Players would be forced to rewrite their current products.
-It should have clear advantages for the end users to gain adoption.

As of today I haven't seen clear signs of that happening, but who knows...
A bit off topic, but it's ok (I hope this will not cause the usual fights). To be concise :

- every single DAW, I hope. Not necessarily a virtual machine inside the DAW itself, at least add support for an external driver's (the JIT engine) interface (input and outputs)

- yes, but the standard could be just an interface in some cases (it depends on how it will be added)

- yes they have to, in order to port existing / legacy plugins : rewrite it once, run it forever. Also, wrappers could be made for legacy precompiled DSP (I bet there will be open source projects for this)

- it has huge advantages. The same intermediate "binary" will run forever potentially on any system : Windows NT 4.x, macOS Mojave, Windows 2050, Sega Dreamcast, Barebone DSPs, FPGAs, Raspberry PI. The software is containerized and safe. And many other advantages...

Clear signs are here. In the pro audio scene, there are companies using this approach from 2012 at least.
bruno @ Xhun Audio || www.xhun-audio.com || Twitter || Instagram

I just stumbled across (right here on KVR Audio) another interesting non-sampled electric guitar virtual instrument (similar to IronAxe) from a developer named "Studio Major 7th". The product is called "SSG7 V" and there is both a trial version and a free version available for download from the developer's product page.

Ironically, I think the SSG7 V plugin is only available in 64-bit.
[Core i7 8700 | 32GB DDR4 | Win11 x64 | Studio One 6 Pro | FL Studio ASIO/WASAPI ]

I liked SSG7 V but didn't like the base tone. Sounded a bit thin to me. I wonder if there is an option there to change the base tone?
Little Black Dog - 2008-Present

xhunaudio wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 2:54 pm Clear signs are here. In the pro audio scene, there are companies using this approach from 2012 at least.
I don't want to repeat myself; using a JIT for DSP code internally is not hard, there are open source projects enabling it. This is not an achievement of audio companies.

Creating and succeeding making everyone adopt a new open standard with new language(s), tooling, UI standarization and a paradigm change is a whole different animal.

If this is how long it would take for IronAxe to come out, I wonder if it would be worth the trouble since MODO GUITAR, if...IF...it comes out, would have dozens of different guitars, electrics, acoustics and so forth that anyone else would be beaten to the punch.

benjamind wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 12:00 am If this is how long it would take for IronAxe to come out, I wonder if it would be worth the trouble since MODO GUITAR, if...IF...it comes out, would have dozens of different guitars, electrics, acoustics and so forth that anyone else would be beaten to the punch.
I never saw an announcement for MODO GUITAR. Have I missed it or we just assume that since there is MODO BASS and MODO DRUMS, MODO GUITAR must be on the way?
Yorgos Simeonidis

filulilu wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 12:06 am
benjamind wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 12:00 am If this is how long it would take for IronAxe to come out, I wonder if it would be worth the trouble since MODO GUITAR, if...IF...it comes out, would have dozens of different guitars, electrics, acoustics and so forth that anyone else would be beaten to the punch.
I never saw an announcement for MODO GUITAR. Have I missed it or we just assume that since there is MODO BASS and MODO DRUMS, MODO GUITAR must be on the way?
It showed up in the patents list...but that doesn't mean anything. However, if they are able to model a realistic bass guitar, then it should be possible to recreate a realistic electric guitar (and acoustic guitar) too since the string modeling technology is based on modal synthesis.

There is no announcement, of course, there was none for MODO BASS or MODO DRUM either before they were about to be released.

We can assume either it will or it won't, but because I enjoy wishful thinking I'd like to assume it will eventually - even if it doesn't (and knowing my luck it probably won't but I'd like to believe anyway as it's mentally preferable that way - who here would hate to think that it's abandomware or "ether" ware like Mokafix guitar and all the other shit that never sees the light of day).

I bet theres a whole f**kload of virtual instruments that, for whatever reason, and usually a bullshit one like "artificial" barriers as opposed to practical barriers (think legal, funding, etc, barriers) we could have massively benefitted from but because whatever we never got to have it. Yeah I know, it f**king sucks. Reality sucks, yeah?

I see you haven't bothered to reply. Plenty of time too. :phones: :phones:

Anyway, I bet another 4+ years will pass by and it still won't come out. I bet.

All the whole time I'll convince everyone that it's "still coming".

It will turn out that the only one I'm convincing is myself.

It's not coming. And it's not for the reasons many would assume - that it can't be done because it can - just ask whoever is brhind Orange Tree Samples or the guys behind Shreddage.

It's not because it can't be done, it's because it WON'T be done.

There is probably a reason such as an artificial limitation (most likely a legal limitation) or the company simply decided that their guitar player customer base was too important to them and that customer base would be pissed off if anyone who could run a DAW and play a keyboard could replace them) so they jettisoned it.

Those are "artificial" limitations and not real limitations as I have emphasised. It's not that it can't be done. It simply won't be done for the reasons I mentioned above. There is likely to be an artificial reason why.

I am sure an angry customer base full of guitarists would be enough of a impetus for them not to do anything. The basses and drums are fine because they are a much smaller base of customers. Guitarists would likely be there biggest customer base, hence all the work on amp sims.

I'm afraid those who want a super realistic and infinitely flexible guitar sim are probably shit out of luck.

Eheh, my apologies - I didn't reply because I can't understand if the last 10 posts are about Xhun Audio IronAxe or IK MODO Guitar...
bruno @ Xhun Audio || www.xhun-audio.com || Twitter || Instagram

xhunaudio wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:21 am Eheh, my apologies - I didn't reply because I can't understand if the last 10 posts are about Xhun Audio IronAxe or IK MODO Guitar...
I think if IronAxe 2/64 would have been out by now nobody would talk about Ik Modo Guitar :clown:

But your description for me sounds more like years (if not a decade again...) for it then month/1 year ? So there does not seem to be a real alternative then to think about alternatives....

There is no alternative. You can't really base it on samples and have it sound as lively and dynamic as a physical model.

So you either wait for this or hope IK decides to change there minds. I doubt MODO is coming and I have many reasons because it occurred to me the many reasons why we probably won't see it. It will be a silly or artificial reason (as opposed to a technical limitation) but that doesn't matter. End result is we go without. End of story.

Better learn to play a real one, yeah?

Shame I can't. f**k this shit.

Return to “Instruments”