Amp Sim issue

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

If I hit the strings with any reasonable amount of force, it sounds like it is layering the DI signal over the signal of the amp sim.
Guitar Plugged into Line6 Helix used basically as DI box into DAW, then I have a boost, Klon and Tube screamer running into the Fuchs Overdrive Supreme plugin.
Any suggestions as to what might be causing this? Or is this just typical Amp plugin behaviour?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ZzsVMj ... sp=sharing

Here is an example of the issue. You can hear the distortion buried underneath a muddy clean signal when the strings are hit with any sort of conviction.

Are you sure this is not a monitoring issue? You should be able to listen just the effected signal if your monitoring is set up that way. Many interfaces,(and some DAWS & plugins), have a knob that allows you to blend the dry and wet signals.
the secrets to old age: Faster horses, Richer Women, Bigger CPU's

https://soundcloud.com/cristofe-chabot/sets/main

A screenshot of your DAW would help. Possibly you have some form of direct monitoring on? Difficult to say without more info.

have you put it on a send or an insert?

Hi, thanks for the replies! As far as I am aware, I have it set up properly but id love to be proven wrong. Heres a screenshot of ableton.
Screenshot 2022-08-18 at 16.48.07.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

My old eyes can't see much of anything in that tiny pic, but it's easy to test: record yourself, and see if you can hear the dry in the recording. Chances are, you won't be able to -- which is good, because that means it's just a monitoring issue. If you can hear the dry, it's a bigger issue to debug.
Wait... loot _then_ burn? D'oh!

Oh yeah the audio i linked in the post was just recording into ableton and exporting out, so it is present when recording. If you right click and open the image in a new tab it should be full size :)
Im mainly just wondering whether this is just a common shortcoming of using Amp sim plugins or whether it is an actual issue that I can fix.

it should be fixable.
im on a phone so even full size the image is too small.
however, a thought did occur, is it a stereo track input using mono fx maybe? don't use ableton myself so not sure how it would deal with that.

Looks like you have stereo input selected. [as vurt mentioned whilst I was posting - Damn he's quick!] I'm not sure if this is your recording channel or one you have sent it to.

Best practice is to track your dry DI signal only. So you route your physical input there (mono channel detached from master send) and send that to your amp sim. This way you can easily play with the tone or swap for another amp sim after recording. It will also allow you to track with low latencies and also have high oversampling values for when you print to disk as an audio file.

Jafo wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 4:33 pm My old eyes can't see much of anything in that tiny pic...
Right mouse button on image, open in new tab.

Make sure your “monitor” signal is muted on your interfaces mixer control app/driver or however that is done with Line 6 etc.

Unaspected wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 5:43 pm Looks like you have stereo input selected. [as vurt mentioned whilst I was posting - Damn he's quick!] I'm not sure if this is your recording channel or one you have sent it to.

Best practice is to track your dry DI signal only. So you route your physical input there (mono channel detached from master send) and send that to your amp sim. This way you can easily play with the tone or swap for another amp sim after recording. It will also allow you to track with low latencies and also have high oversampling values for when you print to disk as an audio file.
It is a mono input and i do track di normally however i am looking into using my laptop for playing live.

Also I do not have input monitoring on in my interface.

Your live project seems ok, if a bit odd. Maybe some hardware issue, you've got no signal there. :shrug:

pekbro wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 9:04 pm Your live project seems ok, if a bit odd. Maybe some hardware issue, you've got no signal there. :shrug:
The only hardware involved in this setup is the interface to get my guitar signal into ableton so I don’t really know what could be going wrong there.

Return to “Effects”