Recommendations for a new Audio Interface

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I've had my focusrite 2i2 1st edition for about 10 years now, it served me well, but slowly the headphone amp is becoming more noisy, so it's time for an upgrade.

My way of working is so far removed from the norm, that it is hard to find a suitable product so far. Most people want low latency (low buffer size), many inputs, good preamps etc, in short: an interface suitable for recording. But I do everything with my mouse and keyboard, I never record anything, not even MIDI, so I'm specifically looking for an interface that has the following, in order of importance:
- well supported, efficient asio driver, preferably with the option to set (very) high buffer sizes (4096 samples)
- "great sounding" DAC, I know this is all subjective, and sometimes even immeasurable, but still, I like good sound more than bad sound
- balanced monitor output, single hp output
- one or two inputs, for if I ever need one

Seems extremely similar to my trusty old 2i2, which I only want to replace because of the noise, but I do want to give other manufacturers at least some consideration.

Any recommendations for a Piano Roll nerd that doesn't care about latency, only a good driver, big buffers and stability?

Best drivers/ most reliable is rme
Baby face pro sounds suitable - expensive but you could go second hand

I went through about 3 or 4 interfaces before finally biting the bullet about 10 years ago and getting a fireface and I’ve stuck with rme since then

I think differences in the sound of the dac are likely to be pretty small these days

Thanks, I was just browsing their webpage, and I was looking at the Baby Face, great option!
In terms of pricepoint I think it's acceptable, if I get another 10 years of audio fun out of it, I'm happy.
Many people seem very positive about their experiences with RME products, might have to bite the bullet as well, and give it a go!

OSWProduction wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 9:38 am In terms of pricepoint...
That begs the all-important question, what is your budget?

Personally, I love my UAD Apollo Twin X so much that I added an X6 and linked them. But, while the Twin X checks your boxes and a lot more, it is not a budget interface and, from what I've heard, is more reliable on Macs (my main OS) than it does on Windows.

The MOTU interfaces always worked pretty well for me when I was mostly a Windows user. I've never owned an M2, but it seems to check your boxes and is nicely priced. The other comparable interface that seems to get great reviews is the SSL2+, but I've never owned or used an SSL interface.
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

I don't like UAD, they are great but I don't like their pricing model, if I'm going for something with onboard DSP, it might be Antelope audio. Motu is a good shout though, I'll be comparing some of their products, thanks! Budget is around 800€ max.

I just ordered a MOTU Ultralite Mk5 to replace an M4.

How did the M4 perform for you, experienced any crashes of the ASIO drivers over it's lifespan etc.?

OSWProduction wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 10:11 pm How did the M4 perform for you, experienced any crashes of the ASIO drivers over it's lifespan etc.?
I am on Mac and used the MOTU driver with no issues whatsoever.

Thanks for the info, I'm a Windows boy, but I guess the quality of the driver will be at least similar. Still debating between MOTU M2, something from Antelope audio or RME babyface. Lucky I'm in no big rush 😎

OSWProduction wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 9:50 am Thanks for the info, I'm a Windows boy, but I guess the quality of the driver will be at least similar. Still debating between MOTU M2, something from Antelope audio or RME babyface. Lucky I'm in no big rush 😎
Well, the RME Babyface (Pro FS) will definitely have the best drivers and exceptional sound. Beyond my budget and I am incredibly happy with the M4. I needed more I/O for my main system and the M4 will now interface the iPad.

perpetual3 wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 10:15 pm
OSWProduction wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 10:11 pm How did the M4 perform for you, experienced any crashes of the ASIO drivers over it's lifespan etc.?
I am on Mac and used the MOTU driver with no issues whatsoever.
+1

I have been using the M4 on Mac also without any issues. The headphone output is really nice, so is the metering and the volume knob. In my opinion the build quality is really nice, can’t imagine that the M2 is much different (apart from available input and output options).

I have an M2, drivers are rocksolid. Very impressed with the device.

I have the M4

Love it. Also think the extra features over the M2 are well worth the additional expense.

How do you like your MK5. Im thinking about ordering one. Do you have any latency issues? Is the RTL really that fast?

OSWProduction wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 9:50 am Thanks for the info, I'm a Windows boy, but I guess the quality of the driver will be at least similar. Still debating between MOTU M2, something from Antelope audio or RME babyface. Lucky I'm in no big rush 😎
Babyface FS for Windows (not the old babyface).

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”