Waldorf Kyra

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS
hhuang9611
KVRian
715 posts since 1 Mar, 2018 from USA

Post Fri Sep 23, 2022 12:36 pm

Fair point. And I guess the reason I didn’t get the hype of Quantum may just be that I’m not seriously into hardware synth (yet). And my music is really focused on one genre, so I’m only paying attention to certain sound and I basically find both Kyra and Quantum inspiring.
chk071 wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 12:26 pm
hhuang9611 wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 12:21 pm Yeah… that would make sense. I also do feel like Kyra is somehow overshadowed by Quantum/Iridium for no reason.
If you ask me, the reason is that those are the much better sounding synths. "Uninspiring" is the word that came to my mind when listening to many sound demos of Kyra.

Of course, that's pretty subjective. But, considering you never really read much about the synth, I don't think I'm that far off.
Trance, Trance Is Life

chk071
KVRAF
33052 posts since 11 Apr, 2010 from Germany

Post Fri Sep 23, 2022 12:38 pm

Which kind of genre are you focusing on, if I may ask. I find that the Waldorf synths (also Quantum) excel in Ambient sounds. Not only I find that they sound good for those sounds, but, they also lend themselves due to the feature set.

hhuang9611
KVRian

Post Fri Sep 23, 2022 12:49 pm

It’s Trance, where the access virus has been (probably will continue to be) the holy grill. So basically those massive, hypersaw kind of stuff. And I guess since Kyra was supposed to be “the next virus ti,” it makes sense I’m more drawn to it.
chk071 wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 12:38 pm Which kind of genre are you focusing on, if I may ask. I find that the Waldorf synths (also Quantum) excel in Ambient sounds. Not only I find that they sound good for those sounds, but, they also lend themselves due to the feature set.
Trance, Trance Is Life

hhuang9611
KVRian

Post Fri Sep 23, 2022 12:54 pm

Anyway, I think I have made my mind to buy Kyra (I think at $1333 right now, it is a decent investment)

Just need to convince my significant other about spending the money (you know how it goes) :hihi:

Will report back more once I get my hands on the synth :phones:
Trance, Trance Is Life

Constructed Identity
KVRist
371 posts since 29 Sep, 2012 from Minneapolis, MN

Post Sat Sep 24, 2022 10:20 am

hhuang9611 wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 12:21 pm Yeah… that would make sense. I also do feel like Kyra is somehow overshadowed by Quantum/Iridium for no reason. Sure, Kyra may have some flaws, but it’s really a different beast. I don’t think I can hook up iridium and expect it to output a lush hypersaw lead, a juicy bass, and a massive pad all at the same time right into my DAW while I can edit the midi as much as I want.
You just have to demo it yourself to know. I played a used Quantum in a store last year and was dumbfounded -yea, that's the right word, it was amazing. The Kyra maybe perfect for you, if you can try it out somewhere to see if it is buggy or good enough to use that is what I would do.

cryophonik
KVRAF
8691 posts since 7 Sep, 2006 from Roseville, CA

Post Sat Sep 24, 2022 8:00 pm

hhuang9611 wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 8:34 am Kyra is now only $1300-1400 if buying from Thomann and ship to USA…
Has anyone checked with any US retailers to see if they’d match that price?
Logic Pro | Prophet 6 | PolyBrute | Prophet Rev2 | Polar TI2 | Novation Peak | Sub37 | Slim Phatty | Minitaur | SE1X | AR4mk2 | RYTMmk2 | Syntakt | Digitakt | Digitone

hhuang9611
KVRian

Post Thu Sep 29, 2022 7:54 am

Just out of curiosity, I asked Sweetwater. Got this reply... Not even offering slightest discount. :roll:
We don’t normally price match. As nobody as the level of service we do. Thomann is a European dealer as well, so odds are there will be shipping and import costs for it, and then if it needs warranty servicing, you have to ship it back to Europe. They also do not have one in stock. We have one ready to ship. Do you have any questions on the unit? Let me know when I can get this order set up for you!
Trance, Trance Is Life

Uncle E
KVRAF
13801 posts since 22 Nov, 2000 from Southern California

Post Thu Sep 29, 2022 8:05 am

Benutzername wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 6:39 am Quantum owners are still waiting for the promised V3 firmware. It went into a closed beta two years ago but nothing happened since then.
V2 already gave it the FM engine. A pretty huge improvement as far as hardware synths go, although I admit it's the engine I used the least.

With Kyra, OTOH, it would be surprising to see any upgrades or even a second version.

chk071
KVRAF

Post Mon Nov 14, 2022 2:35 pm

Waldorf will bring a special limited edition of the Kyra: https://www.amazona.de/waldorf-kyra-se- ... e-edition/

The only difference to the original Kyra is the colour.

cryophonik
KVRAF
8691 posts since 7 Sep, 2006 from Roseville, CA

Post Mon Nov 14, 2022 8:04 pm

I still like the white much better, but I guess that means Waldorf hasn’t completely abandoned it yet.
Logic Pro | Prophet 6 | PolyBrute | Prophet Rev2 | Polar TI2 | Novation Peak | Sub37 | Slim Phatty | Minitaur | SE1X | AR4mk2 | RYTMmk2 | Syntakt | Digitakt | Digitone

Trancer
KVRist
Topic Starter
424 posts since 7 Aug, 2018

Post Tue Nov 15, 2022 12:20 pm

It looks great in blue.

On the other hand 200 euros more for a very expensive color to pay and really useless.

On the other hand, Waldorf would have had to be smart and it would have been much more relevant to have a software update done and to correct the bugs and to release the potential and power of the Kyra.

Waldorf misses it again.

Jim Roseberry
KVRian
556 posts since 9 May, 2005

Post Thu Nov 17, 2022 6:49 am

I doubt the increase in price has anything to do with the blue color/paint.
More likely because of supply-chain issues (and increased costs).

If you've priced musical instruments the past couple of years, there's been a steady increase in price.
ie: Moog One 16 voice is now $9k. I believe it was ~$7k when it was released.
Jim Roseberry
Purrrfect Audio
www.studiocat.com
jim@studiocat.com

hhuang9611
KVRian

Post Thu Nov 17, 2022 2:43 pm

This would be true if the original model is also selling at a high price... which is not the case. For example, Thomann still sells it for 1300-ish usd, the same price as always (minus the effect of currency exchange rate fluctuation, of course)
Jim Roseberry wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 6:49 am I doubt the increase in price has anything to do with the blue color/paint.
More likely because of supply-chain issues (and increased costs).

If you've priced musical instruments the past couple of years, there's been a steady increase in price.
ie: Moog One 16 voice is now $9k. I believe it was ~$7k when it was released.
Trance, Trance Is Life

gExpectations
KVRist
435 posts since 8 Dec, 2014

Post Thu Nov 24, 2022 4:39 am

i come back around looking at the kyra every so often but i never get over the hump to actually pull the trigger, maybe the discussion around it dissuades me but also theres only that many synths >1k i can buy :>

chk071
KVRAF

Post Thu Nov 24, 2022 4:42 am

Frankly, I said it before, but, I think, for that price, you fare better with getting a Virus anyway. The Kyra's sound just doesn't gel with me.

If you want to have the Waldorf sound, you're probably better with getting the M or an Iridium anyway.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”