A new kind of Best of.... Challenge

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I was having a conversation on another thread where we were discussing how spoiled for choice we all are. We literally have thousands of plugins available to us--of every imaginable type. I commented that when we get to the essentials of it, a person could do perfectly well with a single multisampler plugin and some effects.

To make things more efficient, I stated that anyone could probably do fine on the operating system and DAW they choose (with its built-in effects and plugins) if they choose JUST three additional plugins: A Drumsampler or Drumsynth, a multisampler, and a synthesizer.

So, for a fun exercise, I'm going to challenge all of you. You do not need to come up with your lists of top 50 or top 20 plugins. I don't care what DAW you use or what plugins it comes with. I'm only interested in 3 plugins. If you were given a random multiplatform compatible DAW (not of your choosing), and you were allowed to choose a Drumsampler/Drumsynth, a multisampler, and a synthesizer, which would you choose? I'm adding a further rule to this challenge. You can't choose Kontakt, Reaktor, MPowerSynth or any of those other everything including the kitchen-sink type plugins (everyone already knows you can do everything with those, and that's not a fun challenge).

Be a little creative. What could you truly do with less.

What would you choose?
C/R, dongles & other intrusive copy protection equals less-control & more-hassle for consumers. Company gone-can’t authorize. Limit to # of auths. Instability-ie PACE. Forced internet auths. THE HONEST ARE HASSLED, NOT THE PIRATES.

Sitala for drums (which is free, by the way)

Sound Dust's Ghost Drop for a sampler (this is slightly cheating because it runs in Kontakt but I swear in this ridiculous hypothetical I wouldn't touch the rest of it)

I don't really use synths besides Omnisphere, and I don't think that's in keeping with the spirit of this challenge. Something simple. I guess back in the day I liked Firebird by Tone 2 because it had these dropdowns with descriptive words and you'd choose a word to affect the sound. Or anything with a randomizer button. I'd click it a LOT.
If every KVR member wrote one review a year we'd have 1340 reviews each day!

I would choose Kontakt, Reaktor, and One Ping Only. Don't say I can't choose those, I just did.

I don't need a Multi-sampler or a Drum sampler. Wavetables are sample enough for me...

Bazille and Vital would be a good combo.

I could literally produce everything with stock Reason software, which I mostly do already at 80 percent. So as additional plugins I would choose Serum and Phoscyon 2 and maybe VH Supermassive. Don't work with samples, stock are overkill already.
please Like, Comment and Subscribe!

I would choose Beat Scholar, Tal-sampler, and Plasmonic…
(I am already spoiled with Bitwig…)

Reaper and Surge XT. Done tbh.

I don't *need* a drum sampler. I was cutting and pasting audio for drums for a long time, still do sometimes in fact.
And I really don't need a multi-sampler, though if I had to choose one I guess it's be TAL-sampler. I'd prioritize Pianoteq over a sampler though.

Microtonic + Spire + Serum. I don't use samplers.

No plugins for sampler, synth, or drum machine.

Bidule, Reaktor and VCV for effects processing only.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

It really would depend what comes with the DAW. Logic comes with a decent drum synth (assuming they still have Ultrabeat?) and Live comes with a decent drum sampler, for example.

If it's REAPER then the synth needs to be versatile and not use too much CPU as we'll need a lot of instances. Maybe Zebra2 or OG Massive. If it's Reason then things are pretty well covered and may as well pick something goofy like the soundemote oscilloscope synths.

I'm still taking Kontakt, not in order to cheat but because it's the one I actually use.

u-he Repro 1
u-he Diva
NI Maschine for Drums

Probably NI Battery 4 for drum sampler, Waves CR8 Sampler, & Kilohearts Phase Plant for Synth.

Since I can't have Kontakt as a multisampler, I had to give that a bit more thought. I suppose one could get creative with that category. SampleTank 4 MAX comes to mind, but that has a lot of stuff already in it already, so it probably falls into a similar category with Kontakt. Same for UVI Falcon or Steinberg HALion.

So that would rule out many pre-made multisample based instrument libraries. But building multisample instruments isn't really my thing.

There are a few DAWs that come with built-in samplers that you can manipulate individual samples with. Not sure how to align this requirement with "any DAW". So I guess I would lean towards something that I could easily just drop a sample in, map it to the keyboard, and adjust ADSR, filter, etc.

Waves CR8 Sampler is an interesting option for that.
https://youtu.be/9IhHwTmgTv4
Windows 10 and too many plugins

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”