Upgaded Cubase 10.5->12 moving plugin folder?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I finally upgraded and was a little surprised that in C12 the plugin folder is now in a different place.
Do I need to move plugins from the old Common files->VST2/VST3 to the new C12 one (which I guess will likely mean reinstalling some of them) or can I just copy them over...or should I just redirect C12 to look at the old Common files->VST folders (which seems the easiest to me).

And while I'm at it - was thinking I need to delete a load of the extraneous stuff that was with 10.5 (not going to use it once I've got used to 12). For example all the Halion & Groove Agent stuff etc. I downloaded an absolute shitload of stuff with C12 - presumably mostly samples etc for Halion and Groove Agent etc - will that have overwritten the old Halion etc or will I now have C12 versions and 10.5 versions? Not far off 70GB, so I want to clear some of the old 10.5 space if I can.

Sorry - I know I can search around for files etc to check, but I'm at work and just trying to save myself some headaches for tomorrow when I can seriously sift through the C12 stuff.

I upgraded to Win 11 too, and TBH it was way more simple than getting a new Cubase. D/L->install->restart and BANG! It worked, no file loss or anything. Though I can't see that much of a difference TBH...

Which folder are you referring to?
The built-in plugin set is always saved in the application's folder, so that every version has its specific set, and the four VST2 default paths were unchaged in the last several versions (just checked down to 8.5). VST3 is only one path, unchanged since I remember.

[removed part that was confusing] You should be fine by installing what you have downloaded.

If you have already download all content for C12, you can just place the vstsound files wherever you please and use the Library Manager to 'register in place'. It only happened once that I had some content duplicated, I have just deleted the older files.
vstsound files are the biggest change in recent versions, as you no longer have the installers, the download manager downloads the files directly now.
Last edited by Amon1973 on Sat Sep 24, 2022 9:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Amon1973 wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 9:34 pm Which folder are you referring to?
I wonder too. Nothing has changed about the folders.

At first glance it looked like the VST folder was in a different location...I'll have to check properly later. But it used to be: Program Files->Common files->VST3 (and VST2).
Looked like the default C12 VST folder was somewhere inside the:
Program files->Steinberg-> etc.

Maybe I was having a senior moment or something, only got to very quickly check it after dl before I had to f**k off to work.

Well, you indeed have Program Files->Steinberg->Vstplugins, which is one of the 4 default paths.
And of course Program Files->Steinberg->Cubase 12-> VST3 (the plugin set)

If you always used Program Files->Common files->VST2 (and VST3 of course), you should be fine, just start C12 and find all your plugins and collections (the Plugin Manager will be copied over on the first start). That's how it worked here at least. Good luck.

Yes, as far as I know, the default paths which are set in Cubase are Program Files -> Common Files -> VST3 for VST3's, and Program Files -> Steinberg -> Vstplugins for VST2's. The latter doesn't matter at all obviously, because you can always set a custom folder for your VST2's, so you can simply forget about that default path in Cubase.

VST3's will always be in Program Files -> Common Files -> VST3 though, and I'm not aware of any DAW's which even let you choose a custom VST3 path. Maybe there is one, but, the majority won't even let you change it.

I would never even think about moving the actual files, just point Cubase in the new direction.
my music: http://www.alexcooperusa.com
"It's hard to be humble, when you're as great as I am." Muhammad Ali

Of course. If that was the question.

Thanks all. I had a proper play last night, and all the plugins loaded up and worked, so it must recognise the Common Files->VST3 folder. It was just the Steinberg->Cubase12->VST3 folder that spooked me when I saw it.

It's probably a lesson to me to just play the bloody thing rather than poking around inside before using anything.
Actually, once it fired up it was pretty flawless. Even a project I was working on in 10.5 just loaded up no problems whatsoever. I guess I'll have to import a few settings, but really - the more I left it alone the better it worked... :clown:

kritikon wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 3:08 am At first glance it looked like the VST folder was in a different location...I'll have to check properly later. But it used to be: Program Files->Common files->VST3 (and VST2).
Looked like the default C12 VST folder was somewhere inside the:
Program files->Steinberg-> etc.

Maybe I was having a senior moment or something, only got to very quickly check it after dl before I had to f**k off to work.
Trying to install new DAW version or new plug in before work == LATE

Gotta say I like what I see in C12, have only used it a bit so far - but it's a nice update.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”