Piano and VTS for Live performance

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi,

I have a digital piano with good key action but I don't like onboard sound.

I would like to use a VST through a MIDI port such as Keyscape for my live performance.

Is it possible to do that (latency and so on)?

What hardware do I need to do that?

I have a PC with 32GB of RAM - i7 - SSD and an onboard soundcard.

Thanks

Does your current digital piano have MIDI out (standard 5-pin port or USB)? If yes, then you can use your existing piano as the controller for Keyscape. If it only has standard 5-pin MIDI, you’ll need an interface to connect it to your computer. Check out the iConnectivity Mio for a good and cheap solution (I have one and it works great). Another option is to get a small audio interface that has onboard MIDI in/out (e.g., MOTU M2, Focusrite Scarlett 4i4). I think you may find that the small audio interface solution might be best for addressing both MIDI and audio, but I don’t perform live with this type of setup, so hopefully someone with experience will chime in on the reality of using the onboard soundcard vs an external one for live performance.

With a modern computer running a single instance of Keyscape, you shouldn’t run into any latency issues. I’ve run Keyscape standalone through my 2019 iMac i7 with no noticeable latency at all using the onboard audio, but I’ve never tried to run it out of the computer and into a mixer for live performance. If you have USB MIDI on your digital piano, try it with your computer’s onboard soundcard and see how it handles it.
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

Thanks. Usb, so I need to download the driver only. I will set up my PC and I will try it. I hope the latency will be good.

I do a similar thing live with Keyscape and an old Roland Digital Piano, the latency is fine, not noticable for live playing to my ears.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”