Why do people here hate on cherry audio?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Lots of nonsense on Gearspace as well though. Actually, I'd even say the amount of nonsense is higher there than on KVR.

Not to mention that they're jerks for changing their name. ;)

No hate here, i bought their modular at the time, and at the time it was a quite interesting project with a large choice of modules.

Their emulations of specific synths though, are cheap but they don t sound like the real thing so i pass on them. I rather pay more and get a good emulation.

I particularly note strong critics of Brand X that seem to be hugely active fans of Brand Y.
Not to say that Brand Y isn't majorly superior to Brand X (it may well be, and thus very justified),
but sometimes it gets to a point where it makes one wonder whether there isn't more going on there.

rj0 wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 7:13 pm I particularly note strong critics of Brand X that seem to be hugely active fans of Brand Y.
Not to say that Brand Y isn't majorly superior to Brand X (it may well be, and thus very justified),
but sometimes it gets to a point where it makes one wonder whether there isn't more going on there.
With that, with regards to emulations anyway, unless there is some clearly stated and agreed upon reason not to select X over Y, I tend to agree with those that say that the most important influence should be your own ears (but, of course, with considerations to your wallet). If your client insists on the most accurate emulation, then it's his money, otherwise ...
Last edited by rj0 on Sat Sep 24, 2022 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dreamsynth is one of Cherry Audio’s most popular synths and DIVA is u-he’s most popular synth. I guess the lesson there is that people like emulations and like them even more when they massively expand on the originals, to the point of being unrecognizable.

rj0 wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 7:13 pm I particularly note strong critics of Brand X that seem to be hugely active fans of Brand Y.
Uncle E wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 9:29 pm Dreamsynth is one of Cherry Audio’s most popular synths and DIVA is u-he’s most popular synth. I guess the lesson there is that people like emulations and like them even more when they massively expand on the originals, to the point of being unrecognizable.
Personally I already own U-He, AAS, and Arturia, all their analog emulations.
I got really excited when they made a Memorymoog emulation, because I've owned a real one since I was a 18 and used the 2k from my grandmothers death on it. It doesn't sound anything like the Memorymoog. If I have any beef with them it's that, they came in first with a truly cross platform MM emulation, and didn't do a good job of it at all.

I can name my issues with the others as well, I'm going to sell my AAS collection, their last upgrade didn't do it for me. It's not a Cherry Audio thing only. After 20+ years of software pretending to be hardware I'm just over it, it's not that emulations are bad, but as was mentioned when they don't claim to faithfully recreate a Minimoog, etc. they do much much better. My favorite Cherry Audio so far is Dream synth, and for those reasons, it's going for the "style" of old hardware, but adding in new features, like OB-Xtreme or Diva.

Basically it's burnout on emulations until there's some insane processor breakthrough that lets developers emulate perfectly old hardware with not a soul thinking it's falling short. I get that coming out with a new soft synth that doesn't emulate anything is hard, but Absynth, Biotek, Reaktor, Pigements, Hive, Falcon, Plasmonic, etc. etc. are all (or were), pretty dammed popular.

I like emulations, because the emulations tend to be of very popular and successful hardware products of the past. They were heard in numerous songs of that time, sounded exceptionally good, and were the best of their era. If one wants to imitate the past, then emulations are the way to go (and expanded emulations make that even better). I guess the question begged though is how much is one willing to pay for accuracy to that past, and at what point does one just say that a plugin can pay (or ignore) homage to the past and just sound really good in it's own right (and maybe for a lot less outlay)?

How about GUI emulations but with different sounds? Personally, I love programming a Minimoog- or Jupiter-style interface but would love having more options for oscillator types (wavetables, samples, etc.).

chk071 wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 8:29 am Lots of nonsense on Gearspace as well though. Actually, I'd even say the amount of nonsense is higher there than on KVR.

Gearspace, more liek...Safespace amirite 😁 yep I loved the previous name, then was out for a year came back - different name. PC culture catched up it seems.
please Like, Comment and Subscribe!

rj0 wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 10:03 pm I like emulations, because the emulations tend to be of very popular and successful hardware products of the past. They were heard in numerous songs of that time, sounded exceptionally good, and were the best of their era. If one wants to imitate the past, then emulations are the way to go (and expanded emulations make that even better). I guess the question begged though is how much is one willing to pay for accuracy to that past, and at what point does one just say that a plugin can pay (or ignore) homage to the past and just sound really good in it's own right (and maybe for a lot less outlay)?
Well yeah, people go for an accurate emulation because they really want THAT sound. And not a rough approximation of it (or in some cases something that doesn t sound like it at all).

It doesn t stop at emulations of popular synths. I have just bought a library of Asian flutes, and yes, I was really going for THAT specific timbre. So i checked out a lot of libraries and went for the library that did the best job to my ears, and not a rough approximation of it. Keeping your wallet in check, you go for what you are willing to pay for that and look for the sweetspot. Quality does have a price most often, but you can find hidden gems at a very nice price and sometimes even for free.

Are emulations of synths from the past the holy grail? Of course not. Some totally new vst instruments sound awesome too, and then you buy these too. Because you really like the sound. Simple, right? :)

Propellerhands wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 3:09 pm
chk071 wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 8:29 am Lots of nonsense on Gearspace as well though. Actually, I'd even say the amount of nonsense is higher there than on KVR.

Gearspace, more liek...Safespace amirite 😁 yep I loved the previous name, then was out for a year came back - different name. PC culture catched up it seems.
I like the old name better too, but I'm an asshole sometimes and love things that stir the pot.

Mostly I thought about being a woman trying to enter a place like that and what that means, it's not really hard to see how this works. We can pretend that slut is a gender free word but it's not, stud is almost always used for a man who has any amount of partners he wants, and it's never really used for women, whether she's dangerously promiscuous or just playing the field, she's a slut. Again commonly, the only time we use slut for men is when they're over the top promiscuous, yet we use it for any woman with multiple partners.

This isn't exclusively a right wing or conservative issue. Liberals love to use "old white men" as a pejorative and it's done nothing but have millions of young men run to the right complaining about "woke" politics in response. It's weird that being kind in general is frowned upon, but that's where we live. It would be nice if we could get over the past, but online forums are sausage factories, and partly because people don't give a shit if they offend women with a name like Gearslutz.

That said being a bit of an asshole I still have it as gearslutz bookmarked in my browser and I'll be sort of sad when it disappears.

Propellerhands wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 3:09 pm

I still like to think of myself as a slut.

Though I don't think I've ever used my account there, I do read the forum.

I hate to always see the topic popping up, cause I don't hate CA whatsoever.
I get it that I'm also bumping it, just have to say that I hate to see "why people hate" when I don't.
Weapons of choice (subject to change):
Godin Redline, Kuassa, Fuse Audio, Audiority, Roland A-500pro, Dune, Dagger, TAL, Reaper for Rock & Synthwave pleasures; Viper and FL Studio for guilty EDM pleasures

So, you hate seeing people that say that you hate.
Well, i guess you do then. :P :)

It s a silly joke. :wink:

Dencheg wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 4:26 am I hate to always see the topic popping up, cause I don't hate CA whatsoever.
I get it that I'm also bumping it, just have to say that I hate to see "why people hate" when I don't.
the problem is it makes people think many actually hate them, when really, it's just a vocal minority.
my music: http://www.alexcooperusa.com
"It's hard to be humble, when you're as great as I am." Muhammad Ali

Return to “Instruments”