Get the sound of top-tier studio microphones with Lava from Acustica Audio

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Acustica is pleased to present Lava, the microphone revolution plug-in. A winning choice for recording, mixing, and broadcasting applications.

What if you can get instant access to the best microphones in the world in one simple click?

Lava is a VST2/VST3/AAX/AU Acqua plug-in that accurately recreates the tone of classic microphones, including the microphones' response, harmonic content, and proximity effect. It is an out-of-the-box plug-in that can make your own microphones sound just like the microphones you have always wanted to own, with a few simple clicks, and you can use it on any vocal and instrument. You can also use Lava in real-time by using the LAVA ZL version (its latency at 44Khz is 4ms.)

No matter what physical microphone you have, just select it from the menu and make it sound like the one you want by choosing it from the list. Done!

Compared to our other plugins, Lava is particularly lightweight regarding CPU consumption, and we are sure you will appreciate it. Plus, phase responses are nice and clean and without artifacts.

LAVA GUI

With Lava, you can easily transform your microphone by choosing between a wide selection and making it sound like the one you desire, transforming a $100 microphone into a $9000 one.

Main features

• Over 140 microphone emulations.
• Distance slider to remove any proximity effects on the source mic.
• Dry/Wet Mix knob.
• High-pass filter from 45 Hz to 1k1 Hz.
• Input and output led meters.
• Low CPU usage.
• ZL (zero-latency) version suitable for tracking.
• Up to 4x oversampling.
• Resizable interface*

*Choose between 3 magnification values (1x - 1.5x - 2x) from the top right ▼SIZE drop-down menu.
Once the desired size has been selected, the plugin must be removed and re-loaded to apply the changes. This action affects the currently selected plugin. New instances of the same plugin will open with this magnification.

What you get

Lava includes over 140 microphone emulations (100 source and 41 destination mics) for a total value of $170k worth of microphones right in your DAW.
Instantly expand your collection with vintage and modern microphones models on the market, including a selection of ultra-rare boutique mics.

Please refer to the Lava user's manual for a complete list and details of the emulated microphones.

Note: as we have experienced, if you are looking for maximum accuracy, some conversions physically cannot be done (from a Figure-8 mic to a hyper-cardioid one), but in the everyday practical use of a mic, the approximation we make is enough not to distinguish which mic has been processed with Lava and which is the original one. You can barely perceive the difference (as proved by the contest!)

Tip! we recommend trying the EM-251 (ELA M 251) emulation as the output microphone as it sounds amazing after processing, and it is a rare and expensive piece of engineering (but of course, the choice is yours, depending on the instrument or vocal you need to process).

Lava - Demo

https://youtu.be/126RLRP3SS8

The story behind Lava

Lava is a project that took over six months of development to properly understand how best to capture the sound characteristics of each different sampled microphone.

We started by choosing the most suitable environment for the measurements: an anechoic room. In particular, we used the one inside the 'Politecnico di Milano' run by Professor Roberto Fumagalli, who spared no effort in his helpfulness and precious advice during our extended stay.
This place also has a complete absence of reverberation in high, medium, and low frequencies meaning no room modes can change the sampling transducers' timbre.

Once the ideal location was found, we moved on to the choice of the speaker, the transducer responsible for emitting our proprietary measurement signals. After several attempts, the choice fell on passive Rasch Audio© speakers by Simone Fagnani, driven by a hi-fi amplifier.
We were particularly convinced by the phase coherence and the very low impulse response, essential characteristics for not emphasizing data capture. The 3-way speaker with its dedicated sub was measured with special calibration microphones and a calibration file. This way, we could cancel out even the smallest emission dissimilarities.

The measurements were carried out under controlled temperature and humidity thanks to the instruments in the chamber. Laser levels and laser meters helped us to achieve repeatability of positions and operating distances.
Once the measurement routine was established, we moved on to find a conspicuous number of microphones that represented the timbre, engineering, and history of these fascinating transducers. We were helped in this task by Piero Sturla, a technician and microphone manufacturer for Ribera Audio, who is well known and appreciated among professionals.

Piero ensured that the electronic functioning of every single sampled microphone was perfect, especially for the vintage ones, devices that now have more than 70 years on their shoulders. In fact, each microphone was carefully checked in its operation before and after measurement, verifying the data acquired with those released by the manufacturer.
The pre-amplifier used for the acquisition is among the best in terms of linearity and driving capacity, its generous input impedance being able to handle even the hardest microphones. The converter used for recording and testing signal output is a benchmark for its linearity and absence of harmonic distortion.
A heartfelt thank you goes to Marco Vannucci, Acustica's collaborator, who actively participated in the project and contributed significantly to its realization.

Technical information

• Plug-in Format(s): VST2, VST3, AAX, AU
System Requirements
• Available sample rates: 44.1 - 48 - 88.2 - 96 kHz
• Windows 10 compatible
Apple Silicon M1 macOS Monterey compatible

Price and availability

Introductory price: €129 | 38% off until October 11, 2022 (reg. price €209) Buy Now!

The product is at an introductory period for the first four weeks after release or until the first official version is released; this implies that the product may receive improvements, changes, or fixes available through Aquarius Desktop updates during that time.

How to install the free 30-day trial
Note: Lava trial version includes 44.1 - 48 - 88.2 - 96 kHz sample rates.
Please be careful and remember that trials expire 30 days after authorization, and we strongly recommend not using trial products in commercial sessions or any important project.

Lava user's manual

Lava web page: https://www.acustica-audio.com/store/products/lava

First off, congratulations on this release. Truly exciting times and this seems like yet another breakthrough in audio engineering history.

With that out of the way, I want to say I hope that this is usable from a dsp-efficient with current customers.

I purchased the guitar amp and pedals on the strength of the demos and amazing acustica offerings in the past but was confused when I couldn't get the amp and pedal plugins to play sound without crackling on my i7 processor. I adjusted the latency/buffer size in my daw and still made no difference.

I have no doubt this sounds amazing but hope it can process audio without crackling, extrme latency issues, and crippling the cpu.

AC222 wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 6:13 am First off, congratulations on this release. Truly exciting times and this seems like yet another breakthrough in audio engineering history.

With that out of the way, I want to say I hope that this is usable from a dsp-efficient with current customers.

I purchased the guitar amp and pedals on the strength of the demos and amazing acustica offerings in the past but was confused when I couldn't get the amp and pedal plugins to play sound without crackling on my i7 processor. I adjusted the latency/buffer size in my daw and still made no difference.

I have no doubt this sounds amazing but hope it can process audio without crackling, extrme latency issues, and crippling the cpu.
Thank you! And yes, this one is much lighter on the CPU. The best way to check if it works correctly on your system is by installing the trial. So far, the feedback is very good!

I bought it yesterday and messed around with it some last night, it does seem lighter on CPU than alot of my other AA plugins. Sounds great also as per usual with AA.

Acustica Community wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 12:37 pm
AC222 wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 6:13 am First off, congratulations on this release. Truly exciting times and this seems like yet another breakthrough in audio engineering history.

Thank you! And yes, this one is much lighter on the CPU. The best way to check if it works correctly on your system is by installing the trial. So far, the feedback is very good!
Hello and thank you for your thoughtful response. I want to reply and also report back that this plugin is very efficient on cpu, hamdles latency well and easy to use!

Your mileage may vary bur I honestly think this plugin is the biggest breakthrough in audio development for mixing for many years. It is of course my opinion so I'd you disagree so be it.

Let me explain, I can get that extra oomph and get tracks now to sit perfectly in the mix, right in the pocket much more quickly than ever. Of course it's about the engineer not the tools etc. But once we get past that, let's be honest certain expensive gear just sounds right straight away.
Cheap knockoff mics can sound harsh and just don't sit right in the mix without heavy eq adjustments and layered effects like saturation. Ever wonder how so many mediocre mix engineers in Hollywood could pump out so many Grammy award winnings songs?! They have superstar performers with great producers and arrangements recorded through a signal chain that will sound flattering in a mix right away.

Now you can get that too. Try recording vocals through a cheap mic and see how much better it sounds through an ELAM 251. Bravo Acustica. What an achievment!

All that and more, an excellent plugin, even leaving aside whether or not things sound like the target, all the different colours/textures etc available to you that you probably wouldn't or couldn't have had without this, because there's more going on here than just a simple EQ curve I would say.

Great stuff :tu: :tu: :tu:
Say NO to CLAP!

jinotsuh wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 4:45 am All that and more, an excellent plugin, even leaving aside whether or not things sound like the target, all the different colours/textures etc available to you that you probably wouldn't or couldn't have had without this, because there's more going on here than just a simple EQ curve I would say.

Great stuff :tu: :tu: :tu:
Well said. You nailed it. Yes, it seems to do a lot of stuff. Adds depth and air in a pleasing way but really alters the frequency spectrum in a way that helps certain tracks sit in the mix instantly. Amazing work 👏 Acustica!

AC222 wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 3:22 am Now you can get that too.
No, you can't.

A microphone is a physical device that reacts in a specific way to specific physical changes in a physical environment. How exactly it does that depend on a number of physical factors that have a significant influence on what is recorded how.

You can only change that in very limited ways after the fact.

It's like applying a filter that is supposed to turn your cheap little cellphone-camera into a Hasselblad. It won't.
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

jens wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 2:37 am
AC222 wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 3:22 am Now you can get that too.
No, you can't.

A microphone is a physical device that reacts in a specific way to specific physical changes in a physical environment. How exactly it does that depend on a number of physical factors that have a significant influence on what is recorded how.

You can only change that in very limited ways after the fact.

It's like applying a filter that is supposed to turn your cheap little cellphone-camera into a Hasselblad. It won't.
:(

I can’t stop that feeling somebody wants to sell snake oil and has an armada of helpers. Make those who never can afford an expensive microphone believe they can turn a 100 € dynamic mic into a Neumann… Great deal for AA…
The quality of a mic isn’t just an impulse response…
But it might be able to turn an expensive mic into a cheap one. But I get that easier with a simple eq/saturation…

Tj Shredder wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 5:50 am I can’t stop that feeling somebody wants to sell snake oil and has an armada of helpers. Make those who never can afford an expensive microphone believe they can turn a 100 € dynamic mic into a Neumann… Great deal for AA…
The quality of a mic isn’t just an impulse response…
But it might be able to turn an expensive mic into a cheap one. But I get that easier with a simple eq/saturation…
Have you tried it?

I tried once a AA freebie, and it wasn’t even worth the resources it was eating. No, combined with that feeling and having nice enough (200 € range) mics, trying would be a waist of time. In case I am wrong, I still don’t miss anything…
Btw. top-tier studio mics ideally have no sound of their own…

Tj Shredder wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 12:00 pm
Btw. top-tier studio mics ideally have no sound of their own…
But they do. Most high-end, studio mics are known for their sound. Not only that, but if choosing a mic for your own vocal you need to try the mic specifically to hear how it sounds with your vocal, to see if the mic compliments your vocal or not.

It's reference/measurement mics like some Earthworks or DPA mics and similar which can be said to offer a truly neutral sound.
http://www.electric-himalaya.com
VSTi and hardware synth sound design
3D/5D sound design since 2012

Yes, I am aware of that. I once recorded a friend of mine who brought his own high end tube mic. He loved the sound, but I got so much hiss and other tube artifacts, it was a real pain to hide/get rid of it…; - ) Finally the recording even won a price, but you would never convince him to replace his real mic with an emulation… I would rather shape the sound by ear than using an expensive emulation to do it in a way it is supposed to sound if you use a certain mic. And those who use the real hardware usually shape the sound anyway…
It makes a lot of sense especially if singers just bring their own mics. They plug it in, and the engineer only needs to tweak a little to satisfy the musician…

Maybe try it out first before writing it off as snake oil.

Return to “Effects”