iPad mini DAW w/ VSTs?

For iOS (iPhone, iPad & iPod), Android, Windows Phone, etc. App and Hardware talk
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi, I'm a complete noob to Apple and iPads but am wondering what DAW that can load VSTs is regarded as the smoothest app or most easy to use. Thanks.

For music Cubasis seems very popular, though the relationship seems to be very much love/hate with it. It can export sessions to the computer version of Cubase.

I use Auria, which is even more fully featured (for Pro version at least) and can export .aaf files, but the interface is falling behind Cubasis for smoothness.

For podcast editing only, Ferrite is fairly good and has touch-first design, but its simplification of design is both plus and minus.

All three load AU units well (the iPad format for plugins instead of VST), though only Cubasis and Ferrite have good keyboard shortcuts, and only Ferrite seems to give any thought to mouse integration. For AUs, the Fabfilter ones are obviously the best game in town, and very cheap compared to their computer siblings.

I'm using an Ipad Mini 5 with Cubasis as well. Think the workflow is rather straightforward actually for a DAW. It's quite an cost effective option at times as well, since Steinberg does have sales on the DAW now and then... There are also in-app (in-DAW??) purchases for extra Steinberg and Waves plugin bundles. They are effective at what they do and still on the cheap side so that might be another advantage to pull the trigger on Cubasis...

My favorite DAW on iOS is Garageband. Best option (IMO) for the touchscreen. Cubasis is too buggy. Auria I find the GUI unpleasant to use. It is more like a regular DAW transplanted over instead of designed for the platform. I tried all the others too and all have some serious issue of some sort.

Auria is the most powerful (currently) for IOS, and it's (almost) like using a DAW on a PC. However, it appears that the focus on Auria from a support standpoint has slowed down almost to a standstill, which is unfortunate because it was a dream to use on the iPad before I switched to a Mac.

GarageBand is the best option. Do cubasis and auria support midi?

ApexSoundMusic wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 10:11 am I'm using an Ipad Mini 5 with Cubasis as well. Think the workflow is rather straightforward actually for a DAW. It's quite an cost effective option at times as well, since Steinberg does have sales on the DAW now and then... There are also in-app (in-DAW??) purchases for extra Steinberg and Waves plugin bundles. They are effective at what they do and still on the cheap side so that might be another advantage to pull the trigger on Cubasis...
Hi do you know if cubasis 3 supports the iPad smartfolio keyboard ? If so what can you do with it , piano roll and midi or shortcuts ?

Marcodf7 wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 2:18 pm
ApexSoundMusic wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 10:11 am I'm using an Ipad Mini 5 with Cubasis as well. Think the workflow is rather straightforward actually for a DAW. It's quite an cost effective option at times as well, since Steinberg does have sales on the DAW now and then... There are also in-app (in-DAW??) purchases for extra Steinberg and Waves plugin bundles. They are effective at what they do and still on the cheap side so that might be another advantage to pull the trigger on Cubasis...
Hi do you know if cubasis 3 supports the iPad smartfolio keyboard ? If so what can you do with it , piano roll and midi or shortcuts ?
Don't know about that because the Ipad Mini I use doesn't work with the smartfolio keyboard. If you use a lightning to usb connector (I believe it's officially called the camera connection kit or something like that) you should be able to connect a midi controller. I did succesfully use the UNO synth in collaboration with the software UNO synth on my Ipad already that way.

Cubasis. Anyway, l´d look now for something with mouse support.

Cubasis supports a number of keyboard shortcuts, but it's nowhere near as comprehensive as you'd want. Ferrite has the best keyboard and mouse support, but is obviously not geared towards music production
Last edited by zacha on Tue Sep 27, 2022 5:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

DonSantiago wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 7:39 pm Cubasis. Anyway, l´d look now for something with mouse support.
Which keyboard are u referring to? I mean a midi or the smartfolio/similar ?

The most standard plugin format on iOS is AUv3. Kymatica's AUM loads AUv3 plugins. It is deceptively simple but really takes full advantage of the touch screen. You might call it DAW-less but depending on how one uses an iPad to make music, perhaps all one needs to start.

https://synthyfrog.com/app/aum-audio-mixer

It helps to also have Audioshare and Cubasis, but AUM is essential on iPad imho.

I have a question: can you use the plugins you own for desktop in the iPad? or you have to buy different versions?

No you can't. However, AUv3 is moving to the desktop, and some plugins you buy for iPad include a desktop (Mac only) version at no additional cost. Moog offers this on their synths. Seems more instruments than effects that do.

Return to “Mobile Apps and Hardware”