My biggest issue right now

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
RELATED
PRODUCTS

BertKoor wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 11:33 am Perhaps you're better off with a DAW that started it's life as a MIDI editor (Cubase, Cakewalk, etc.)
I downloaded the installer for Cakewalk. I'd like to give it a try. I guess there is no way to transfer all my mixcraft project files to cakewalk though lol? I've got 40+ songs I want to finish still and all are in Mixcraft. I can just start new projects in Cakewalk from this point going forward, if I find the daw intuitive and workable enough

Okay I installed and tried out Cakewalk. I could get into it, though there are some things for me that I definitely don't like and will probably stay with Mixcraft over.

Anyway, it does have a feature that is great for sustains. In the clips in the sequencer, it shows little down and up arrows for when the pedal was pushed and released. In the piano roll, there is actually a sustain automation panel on the bottom you can select to arrange and edit sustains...
pedal.jpg
So that is massive and something Mixcraft should absolutely have. I'm going to suggest over on their forums for this, and also to see if they have any more advice for mimicing this feature in Mixcraft.

Also, Cakewalk has something called an event list that shows every midi input applied in sequential order. So in that, though I wasn't getting it exactly right, you can drag sustains up and down to happen when you want them in the list of notes.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

This is getting into the difference between host automation and device MIDI CC messages. Everyone now days just calls it all “Automation”, but there is a difference between them, how they behave, and what you can do with each of them in most DAWs (Logic Pro included).

Sustain pedal data is technically MIDI CC data since it is originating from a device sending messages to a host.

You can see in the lower-left corner of Cubase CC: 64-Pedal (s…, this is also available in Mixcraft.
B84AC07B-82E9-4E36-A821-2DAD6A1EF59F.jpeg
Click the drop-down and select (64) Hold Pedal. This should show you the the MIDI CC data for the sustain pedal.

Try to see if you can select the CC data along with the MIDI notes somehow to copy/paste both simultaneously?

If not, then this quote from this forum, is probably the answer as far as Mixcraft is concerned:

Hi,

There's currently no option to cut and paste CC data. It would be a bit problematic, since the CC data often has to match the notes above. If the notes are of different duration and/or in different positions when you paste, things get complicated.

Greg

This is talking about independently moving the sustain pedal data apart from the midi note data, which isn’t what you wanna do. You wanna move both of them together. Just have to play with it and see if it works.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

i need Help wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 7:25 pm This is getting into the difference between host automation and device MIDI CC messages. Everyone now days just calls it all “Automation”, but there is a difference between them, how they behave, and what you can do with each of them in most DAWs (Logic Pro included).

Sustain pedal data is technically MIDI CC data since it is originating from a device sending messages to a host.

You can see in the lower-left corner of Cubase CC: 64-Pedal (s…, this is also available in Mixcraft.

Click the drop-down and select (64) Hold Pedal. This should show you the the MIDI CC data for the sustain pedal.

Try to see if you can select the CC data along with the MIDI notes somehow to copy/paste both simultaneously?
O.M.G....Thank you so much. I never saw the option to change it to pedal like that. It lets me "add controller", placing a sustain marker wherever I want. And then when I want the pedal to lift, I can pull the sustain marker down to 0 and then it triggers the sustain lift.

So happy thank you for helping!

Yeah, that's definitely your workaround. It looks like Mixcraft just doesn't move CCs with a midi part. You can write in or draw any CC data you want - so mod wheel, pitchbend, expression, breath control etc can be added that way - but not apparently moved with the midi part. Seems very odd to me, but I guess all DAWs are different. You're right about Cakewalk - I used it for a while and I found it very clunky. Probably better featured in terms of midi than Mixcraft but...I didn't like it.

kritikon wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 11:16 pm Yeah, that's definitely your workaround. It looks like Mixcraft just doesn't move CCs with a midi part. You can write in or draw any CC data you want - so mod wheel, pitchbend, expression, breath control etc can be added that way - but not apparently moved with the midi part. Seems very odd to me, but I guess all DAWs are different. You're right about Cakewalk - I used it for a while and I found it very clunky. Probably better featured in terms of midi than Mixcraft but...I didn't like it.
Yeah you're right! Lots of options that I haven't explored. I need to read up on what these all mean and do. Just having that sustain options is huge

--
options.png

FluMusic wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 11:58 pmI need to read up on what these all mean and do.
940A506F-E304-4BFA-B379-55C2DBE203A1.png
DL the user manual on your phone and make it your “on the can” or “standing in line” reading material. I’ve got most of the user manuals for my software and hardware in the Books app on my iPhone.

Standing in line reading material in a queue is pron, surely? It also can make the queue suddenly half the size as all the women leave...

If you're going to try another DAW, give Live a shot. You can do pretty much anything you want with clips without losing any automation data. Live can chop audio and midi automatically. The demo is fully functional for 30 days. https://www.ableton.com/en/shop/live/

Return to “Production Techniques”