Arturia V Collection 9 worth the money?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

What makes a big pile of krap good value if none of it is useful? Korg's MS-20 is also great but it's something else I never, ever use. Which is what I am getting at - it doesn't matter how good something is if it's not something you'd ever use and, for me, 90% of what's in the V Collection is stuff I will never use. Omnisphere is touted as the best VSTi money can buy but I know it is not something I would ever use, so for me it would be a waste of money.

We got so little info from the OP about his needs that it's impossible to know how much use he'd get from the collection, which makes it hard to give decent advice. I would err on the side of skepticism if I was him.

As for the Buchla Easel, I hated working with it. We used a few Analog Lab Buchla patches, which prompted me to install the demo of the full thing. I hated it. I found it completely unintuitive and it just annoyed me. Ultimately, I am not interested in synths. I am interested in music, synths are just tools and I look for the tools that help me get the work done as quickly and easily as possible. If the way a tool works gets in the way of that, I have no use for it. The Noise Engineering stuff is the same. We've used Sinc Vereor and Ruina for some weird filler stuff but I hate working with them so we'll probably end up rendering those parts so I don't have to keep installing those plugins.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

They rebuilt the Yamaha CS-80 and have a Synclavier running OG source code. How can you beat that?
Intel Core2 Quad CPU + 4 GIG RAM

this is just matter of taste whether you like arturia synths or not.
I admit the presets are not too convincing many times, but I've found some really cool sounds that I can't get from elsewhere.
For example I like the jazz guitar preset from the rebuilt cs80. Ok, i have similar guitar sounds, but i like this one.
And I like their GUI where the synths traditional layout is expanded with the more modern stuff at the top - these are features that are simple and effective.

Stefken wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 11:34 am It s a great deal. No brainer really....
For the amount of excellent synths and sounds you get I agree. :)

darkinners wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 3:03 pm It’s a great bundle of synths, few stands out. Most are kinda average at best, if you look for great vintage synths emulation, you probably disappoint, most of them don’t really sound like the synth they model after at all, if that’s what you are after. You better off with U-He Diva and Repro but then, they don’t cover all types of synth that included in V collection. It’s about what you are after.

Few does sound very very close to the hardware: such as MS-20, Juno, Junpiter.

So if you want a lot of different type of synth flavour, yes V collection 9 at $269 is a great deal!
If you are targeting accurate(at least in terms of feel) vintage synth modelling, look elsewhere.
Prophet 5 V sounds closer to an actual Prophet 5 than RePro. I’m still a fan of RePro, it sounds amazing but Arturia nailed it.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

will there be a better deal around Black Friday? I'm getting 149 as an upgrade from v7.
thanks

tonymax wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 4:40 pm will there be a better deal around Black Friday? I'm getting 149 as an upgrade from v7.
thanks
I think for black friday there will be a better offer or match the price. I would wait more if I already have a collection

think i will wait.. thanks ibsenproduce...
ibsenproducer wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 4:52 pm
tonymax wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 4:40 pm will there be a better deal around Black Friday? I'm getting 149 as an upgrade from v7.
thanks
I think for black friday there will be a better offer or match the price. I would wait more if I already have a collection

I also wait for BF.
Though there's a chance they will offer the same 149 price (perhaps even without the selected presets).
Things changed, prices changed in this year, dunno how this will impact the BF prices.

dune_rave wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 9:52 pm I also wait for BF.
Though there's a chance they will offer the same 149 price (perhaps even without the selected presets).
Things changed, prices changed in this year, dunno how this will impact the BF prices.
Not the best forecasts for the Black Friday :hihi:

Who knows if the discounted upgrade was ever offered before BF?

thanks
My suggestion would be to jump on the current offer if you are after VC9, especially because you get one new (and great sounding) soundbank worth 500+ presets for free. I don't think you will gain much if at all by waiting for Black Friday (and definitely won't get the soundbank bundle), especially because you are two versions behind. :tu:

If you like having, learning and using a buttload of synths, it's a great deal. They are not necessarily top-notch in their emulations, but they all do sound good in and of themselves.

If you want just one or two synths to learn and love, then it's probably not worth your time.
I started on Logic 5 with a PowerBook G4 550Mhz. I now have a MacBook Air M1 and it's ~165x faster! So, why is my music not proportionally better? :(

syntonica wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 10:09 pm If you like having, learning and using a buttload of synths, it's a great deal. They are not necessarily top-notch in their emulations, but they all do sound good in and of themselves.

If you want just one or two synths to learn and love, then it's probably not worth your time.
Ditto.

I'm kinda in the first camp. Owning and using, not really learning anything.

These are preset machines for me. With a little tweaking here and there. A lot of it ends up in finished tracks, some of it is purely for inspiration. Fine by me.

Mellotron sucks, compared to gforce's, though.

k

soulata wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 2:17 pm
syntonica wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 10:09 pm If you like having, learning and using a buttload of synths, it's a great deal. They are not necessarily top-notch in their emulations, but they all do sound good in and of themselves.

Ditto.

I'm kinda in the first camp. Owning and using, not really learning anything.

These are preset machines for me. With a little tweaking here and there. A lot of it ends up in finished tracks, some of it is purely for inspiration. Fine by me.

Mellotron sucks, compared to gforce's, though.

k
Yeah, none of them are arguably best in class.But, if you just want a preset machine, then there are plenty of single VSTis that can do multiple colors, like Omnisphere or even the new version of Nexus, or even just the Analog Lab.
I started on Logic 5 with a PowerBook G4 550Mhz. I now have a MacBook Air M1 and it's ~165x faster! So, why is my music not proportionally better? :(

Return to “Instruments”