How much money have you spent on plugins?

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Guenon wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 7:53 am A plugin DLL is literally an executable binary component.
You're right, my bad; I read this in a rush and just saw "executable binary" minus the "component" part.

But it's really here nor there regarding what appeared to be your original claim that Kontakt and/or things used inside it are "expansion libraries" and not plugins. Kontakt is indeed a plugin, as are the instruments used within it.

You also said an orchestral library "isn't a plugin unless it also comes with its own executable binary component that runs inside a host environment." Hello, that describes most if not all orchestral libraries. Again some may have a stand-alone version and so technically not a "plugin," but since you're talking about the same app, is often loosely referred to as such.
Nevertheless, judging by the threads you are starting, this is also starting to look like trolling.
Typical reaction by someone who can't handle someone challenging their assertions. "You disagree with me...so you're a troll!" How lame.
Broader term? You've (most likely intentionally) got this backwards.
Nope.
Yes, there are also other plugins than virtual instruments ;), but in the context you are framing this in, a "virtual instrument" is a term that can be used of a plugin itself, or it can be something like a set of samples and a bit of structural description, intended to be used as input data in something that executes, reads that structure, and plays back the data in a controlled fashion. And so on.
Not sure I follow what you're saying, or you think I'm trying to say, so I'll try once more, using examples:

- Valhalla Vintage Verb: plugin.
- Native Instruments Massive synth: plugin.
- Spitfire Albion One: plugin.
- Kontakt: plugin.
- Collection of sfz sound files: not a plugin.
Also, ask yourself, is this really relevant to the actual thread? Why are you pursuing this line of thought so intently?
Don't look now but you're doing the same thing. Enjoy hypocrisy much?
Why are you, at the same time, starting those weird no-value threads? Don't you think all that sort of posting does is mostly just adding noise?
I've started a thread or two that were obviously (to most at least) just joking around and having some fun. God forbid every thread not be some intense discussion. Maybe the question you should be asking is why are you wound so tight? Maybe you need to get out more?

That all said, you're right that this is sidetracking the topic so my bad there as well.

I've spent about $200-300 total on plugins over the years. That includes Kontakt. :) Luckily I got into this just as plugins were getting both a lot better and a lot cheaper (mostly). I've really been on a "let's see what's out there and what it can do" mission for years and just starting to get out of the exploration phase mostly and more into narrowing down what I want to use and learning them more.

mixyguy2 wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 2:23 am
Guenon wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 7:53 am A plugin DLL is literally an executable binary component.
You're right, my bad; I read this in a rush and just saw "executable binary" minus the "component" part.

But it's really here nor there regarding what appeared to be your original claim that Kontakt and/or things used inside it are "expansion libraries" and not plugins. Kontakt is indeed a plugin, as are the instruments used within it.
My original "claim" was just a passing comment on a self-explanatory thing when talking about the actual topic :). Not meant to somehow be a point of debate all of a sudden, haha. (By the way, you also missed "component" when you wrote it in your previous reply, then. You wrote "Although plugins do indeed run inside a host environment (the DAW), they don't have an executable binary component." Which isn't the case, as already talked about above.)
mixyguy2 wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 2:23 amYou also said an orchestral library "isn't a plugin unless it also comes with its own executable binary component that runs inside a host environment." Hello, that describes most if not all orchestral libraries. Again some may have a stand-alone version and so technically not a "plugin," but since you're talking about the same app, is often loosely referred to as such.
This is just continuing on the initial confusion. And I still think it's likely you are trolling.
mixyguy2 wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 2:23 am Don't look now but you're doing the same thing. Enjoy hypocrisy much?
Haha :D classic trolling, really. I made the mistake of replying to the weird stuff you started to pursue. Not the other way around. Although, yes, at this point it would probably be more constructive just to let you talk by yourself :), indeed.

To reiterate, verbatim, as I replied before, there is a distinction in common industry parlance between plugin instruments/effects and any expansion library data that they use. That distinction also has a technical reason behind it.

An instrument library, preset collection, GUI theme, etc. etc... which doesn't come with its own executable binary component (for use inside host software, like a sample library including its own in-house sample player plugin, for example) and is instead, say, a multisample instrument loaded into Kontakt, isn't a plugin. It's no big deal combining these categories when counting expenses and such, and that's what I've usually done. This doesn't change the underlying difference in how things work and how they are referred to. And no, it's not awful if someone happens to call a Kontakt library a plugin in and of itself :D, that's okay, it's just not what a plugin means in this context, and not the expected use of the word when talking with people in this profession. But again, when for example counting expenses, I can see how it can be straightforward to keep them in the same category, so no biggie.

So yeah, let this just be a long-winded way to say, if counting plugins and Kontakt libraries and such, then I'm looking at around (roughly) $25k. During a couple of decades (of which a good portion working on this full-time), not in one go.

blah blah blah. Dude not even wasting time reading your BS any more. Whatever

mixyguy2 wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 10:32 pm blah blah blah. Dude not even wasting time reading your BS any more. Whatever
Probably for the best this way :tu:

To get the conversation back... I probably spent around 500$ on plugins. Tbh a lot of them are smaller ones and not e.g. a huge "synth" like Omnisphere.
Blub.

I don't know throughout my lifetime (since 2016), probably at least $2500. My most expensive purchases were the Korg Collection ($150 base plus $150 for Korg Collection 3), PPG Infinite Pro ($180), and Omnisphere 2 (used USB license from eBay for $172 including tax and shipping). Last year, I spent over $1300 on plugins because so many were on sale (some I was able to use my student ID), and I needed more quality third-party effects. This year (including Samples From Mars and the Renoise Piano Roll Studio extension), I spent a bit over $400. In January, I managed to get a license for the Arturia V Collection 5 on KnobCloud for $42!!

I've spent $500,000.00 Since 1874.

i once had a house, a big car, a boat, a swimming pool.
Have no clue where it is gone, but my harddrive is full of plugins :scared: :dog:

It was a lot, but I just bought Korg Wavestate, so it's a bit more than a lot now.

thousands on UAD plugs i rarely use.. *sigh*

no more than 100usd a year - is my rule.

Thousands...

And thousands on hardware which I ended up selling (well, most of it).

I think I spent around $1000 when I started out... and have slowed down to the odd thing here or there.

I keep a record of all my expenses, so I know exactly how much I spent on Plugins/Software..etc

From Oct 2020 to Sep 2022.
Spent $10,792.52 on Music software (Plugins/DAW/DAW upgrades/plugin subscriptions/Samples libraries/IRs ..etc)

darkinners wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 8:01 am I keep a record of all my expenses, so I know exactly how much I spent on Plugins/Software..etc

From Oct 2020 to Sep 2022.
Spent $10,792.52 on Music software (Plugins/DAW/DAW upgrades/plugin subscriptions/Samples libraries/IRs ..etc)
I'm sorry but I'm a little bit concerned about you.. how is this possible?

I mean I know about some bundles and libraries from companies you can buy to do pretty much everything you need sometimes with sales and discounts, bundles of libraries and mastering and mixing plugins you could get for affordable prices, and still I can't comprehend how you ended up spending more than $10,000 dollars in plugins and subscriptions.. Something feels strange..

If money is not a issue for you I understand, but if this is other thing from some company that made you think that you need to spend that much, something is wrong..

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”