DPC Latency Issue from dxgkrnl.sys on Surface Pro 8, after removing eGPU

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I picked up a Razer Core X chasis with an RTX 3070 for gaming and it works great, however it was causing me some major issues for music production (in Cubase 12) on the same machine. I'd forgotten Nvidia drivers have this issue, otherwise I would have gone with an AMD.

Anyway, I removed the eGPU and did a full uninstall of the drivers which were initially causing massive latency (NVLDDMKM.SYS, I believe). Now running latencymon reports dxgkrnl.sys to be the problem child, however I can't find any solution to this problem short of doing a clean install of Windows 11 and just not using the eGPU (not ideal, considering I just bought it last month).

The alternative is to dual boot and have one boot for gaming and the other for music/productivity without the GPU connected. That just ends up being a waste of space and honestly quite annoying as I would have to reboot in order to shift gears and wouldn't be able to just quickly open something up to jot an idea down, etc.

I have no problem disconnecting the eGPU whenever I pop open Cubase, the cable is right in front of me anyway. So if there's a way I can get this to work and fix the problem with the directx driver, that would be the ideal solution. I could however work with the dual boot option if that's the next best choice, since I will be building a desktop as soon as 13th gen Intel chips are released (and hopefully this issue doesn't persist there).

So I came here hoping someone can give me some clues on what I can do to remedy this problem. I would appreciate any suggestions, and thanks in advance.

P.S. I've already tried most of the solutions you find online when you google this driver & latency related issues - none helped or the options are not available on the Surface/Windows 11.

Our solution is more complete and maybe more effective, check
viewtopic.php?p=7624448#p7624448

Pictus wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 10:12 am Our solution is more complete and maybe more effective, check
viewtopic.php?p=7624448#p7624448
I'll run through this more thoroughly when I get a minute but a brief overview looks like it's just dealing with the GPU drivers and what not themselves, which at the moment I have completely uninstalled. I'm not sure if installing the nvidia drivers installed some different directx drivers or what, but ever since I installed/removed them, I've been completely unable to produce due to latency.

In LatencyMon, it's only peaking at around 1200us, though, which is weird as I don't think that should be that big of a deal?

Something is not right, that is why your DPC latency is so high.

Pictus wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 8:54 pm Something is not right, that is why your DPC latency is so high.
Agreed, but the something isn't related to nvidia drivers, because they're not installed :lol:
I tried repairing the directx driver as well but that didn't help :/

Right now I only have the standard Surface display drivers, which I had no issues with prior to installing/uninstalling the eGPU. However, even after using DDU I'm still having issues so I'm guessing something is more "permanently" broken?

The Windows is broken or something is running in the background, verify with the
Task Manager and make sure to do the tweaks in the part "Some Windows 10/11 tweaks" and if still have problems, install Windows from scratch.

Yeah seems like I need to do a reformat :/ hopefully it works out

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”