Using Presonus Quantum 2626 for Computer Audio Without a DAW

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I've seen several messages that seem to indicate that you need a DAW to route audio for this interface, and that without the DAW, you can't just start up your computer and watch (and hear) Youtube videos (as an example).

If this is true, I was wondering if you could use an audio utility like Loopback from Rogue Amoeba to route the audio, without having to open the DAW?

No. Initially eg., internet streaming audio wasn't getting on with the thing here, wouldn't start (and I don't remember what changed it; I called Apple support behind it. I may have had to reinstall it, it's one of those OSX things similar to the unsigned driver thing on the other platform, have to right-click dialog = Open where you confirm.)
After whatever that fix was I was perfectly able to listen to Youtube and go back and forth with Cubase, or both at the same time, including getting data to Cubase from the controllers (learned by accident). I could start record, switch to Youtube and continue recording; if there were a transport on the controller do all of it watching YT.

Having recently purchased a 2626, I have to agree it's not perfect for regular use. For the first month I've been crashing my DAW (Ableton) and PC all the time. Also problems with audio in browsers, Games, MusicBee, etc. Tried all the usual things, messing around with drivers and settings, but nothing helped. So far the best solution I have found is to start the computer with 2626 off, then start the DAW, then start the 2626, add Quantum driver in DAW. Leave both DAW and 2626 on all the time, then I can switch around to different programs without problems. When finished for the day, turn off DAW, then 2626 and then PC.

It's a PITA, but all worth it for the super low latency. In testing I can play a basic synth patch running at 0.74ms without dropouts. I have it set to 6.35ms for normal use and it handles everything I throw at it.

Thanks for your feedback. I just bought a 2626 used on Reverb, should get it by the weekend.

I'm on a Mac, so my experience may be different. I'll report back once I see how it goes.

Got the used Quantum 2626 interface a couple days ago. It definitely took some back and forth with Presonus to get it working reliably with my 2018 Mac mini running Big Sur, but she's all good now. So, two key things that might help others:

1 - Despite some things I'd read, I'm absolutely able to use the interface as a "regular sound card" for my computer. In other words, I can boot my computer and play music or watch Youtube videos without opening a DAW or something like Universal Control. Not sure why me or the others missed, but there's really nothing different than with my old Focusrite Scarlett - I chose it using the Sound panel in System Preferences, and everything's good.

2 - If you're having trouble syncing the interface (having the Mac recognize it, represented by a solid blue light on the front of the interface), the support person from Presonus had me do some Terminal commands to manually install the Thunderbolt driver. That worked every time, but it wouldn't keep working through a reboot. (For some unknown reason, I was never asked to "allow" something in the Security System Preferences panel.) By the way, the Presonus tech support person, Liam, was great and was responding typically within a few minutes. Oddly enough, a different Presonus tech support person noticed that I didn't have the latest version of Big Sur installed. I installed it, and voila! All was good.

Terminal command:
sudo kextload /Library/Extensions/quantum_driver.kext

Two other items of note:
He had me uninstall CleanMyMac X. I will now reinstall it and see if it messes anything up.
He also had me temporarily disable SIP: https://developer.apple.com/documentati ... protection
I did enable it afterwards, and everything is still working.

Hope this helps someone!

What you don't want to do is disconnect its thunderbolt connection while it's on.

Glad you got it working nicely.

I can start up my PC and use the interface for regular things without a DAW, but sooner or later conflicts occur and everything freezes up, especially when starting the DAW. Anyway, like I said, it works fine all day if I start the DAW first, I'm pretty used to that routine now.

Nice to know presonus' support is good if I need them.

"For some unknown reason, I was never asked to "allow" something in the Security System Preferences panel."
It apparently misses this step, which is crucial. I knew to do this but something else wasn't happy. Sorry but I don't remember what it was, but it didn't simply plug 'n play here. It's never balked or caused trouble here since.

It's kind of *special*. But again, I could do any known thing with the DAW while simultaneously watching something on the 'net, or if I wanted to watch movies I had on board. It's the best money I've ever spent, that I didn't really want to spend. I was shocked how low my latency was, from the outset.

For anyone interested a rather dumb work around for this in MacOS is to create and 'aggregate device' and add the Quantum 2626 to it. Afterwords, goto 'System Preferences/Sound/Output and choose the 'aggregate device' connected to your Quantum as your output device.

I'm on an M1 Mac mini using a Quantum 2626 btw

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”