How much money have you spent on plugins?

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

JunSev wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 8:36 am
darkinners wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 8:01 am I keep a record of all my expenses, so I know exactly how much I spent on Plugins/Software..etc

From Oct 2020 to Sep 2022.
Spent $10,792.52 on Music software (Plugins/DAW/DAW upgrades/plugin subscriptions/Samples libraries/IRs ..etc)
I'm sorry but I'm a little bit concerned about you.. how is this possible?

I mean I know about some bundles and libraries from companies you can buy to do pretty much everything you need sometimes with sales and discounts, bundles of libraries and mastering and mixing plugins you could get for affordable prices, and still I can't comprehend how you ended up spending more than $10,000 dollars in plugins and subscriptions.. Something feels strange..

If money is not a issue for you I understand, but if this is other thing from some company that made you think that you need to spend that much, something is wrong..
No worries man. I have quite a good enough disposable income, 10k is not a lot to me, those Software/Plugins that I bought, probably 30% or less of them I actually use
rest of them are

1. Developer/Company that I like and support, I want to show them the support by getting their stuff
2. back in the 90s when I was producing music for a living, when I was just starting out, I was piss poor and most of my tools for trade were *you know what*. Now I want to pay back the things that I *borrowed* back in the days.

way too much....
🇷🇺

£119! :hyper: I bought Sylenth1, that's it! Though I do plan on getting several u-he synths, and am trying to decide on either u-he, tone boosters or voxengo fx.

But I have spent thousands on hardware, so.... :clown:

outta here
Last edited by JockMcRonan on Sun Dec 11, 2022 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

£0 ( $0; 0SEK)

Erisian wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 5:22 pm £0 ( $0; 0SEK)
How much is it in euro though :?:
please Like, Comment and Subscribe!

Propellerhands wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 9:58 pm
Erisian wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 5:22 pm £0 ( $0; 0SEK)
How much is it in euro though :?:
Off the top of my head, I think about ... oh... €0.

As a hobbyist around €300 on plugins since starting 5 years ago. This includes €80 for the Vital synth since I liked it so much and wanted to support the developers.

darkinners wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 8:43 am
darkinners wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 8:01 am I keep a record of all my expenses, so I know exactly how much I spent on Plugins/Software..etc

Spent $10,792.52 on Music software (Plugins/DAW/DAW upgrades/plugin subscriptions/Samples libraries/IRs ..etc)

I mean I know about some bundles and libraries from companies you can buy to do pretty much everything you need sometimes with sales and discounts, bundles of libraries and mastering and mixing plugins you could get for affordable prices, and still I can't comprehend how you ended up spending more than $10,000 dollars in plugins and subscriptions.. Something feels strange..

If money is not a issue for you I understand, but if this is other thing from some company that made you think that you need to spend that much, something is wrong..
No worries man. I have quite a good enough disposable income, 10k is not a lot to me, those Software/Plugins that I bought, probably 30% or less of them I actually use
rest of them are

1. Developer/Company that I like and support, I want to show them the support by getting their stuff
2. back in the 90s when I was producing music for a living, when I was just starting out, I was piss poor and most of my tools for trade were *you know what*. Now I want to pay back the things that I *borrowed* back in the days.
I'm probably in this camp as well - but I have been making music as my main interest for 50 years so the total lifetime cost (not just plugins) could be 50k for all I know. Would have made a fair bit of that back anyway. And my other income has been good. Plenty of people spend that sort of money over a lifetime on their hobbies / going to the gym / watching live sport / travel etc etc

If I were in your position but with my experience then I would just get a DAW and learn it really well with free stuff - as many here have suggested.
And only buy plugins on sale or get a subscription like UVI offer (not PA) or get Komplete from NI and only use that plus free stuff. Dont buy lots of sample libraries, what comes with Kontakt/Komplete or an UVI sub is more than enough

yeah I am no doubt into the 50k lifetime category as well.

if I could have it all back I'd be rich :D
my music: http://www.alexcooperusa.com
"It's hard to be humble, when you're as great as I am." Muhammad Ali

I probably spent the same, I am worried about me too. :hihi:
my music: http://www.alexcooperusa.com
"It's hard to be humble, when you're as great as I am." Muhammad Ali

Went a bit mental on buying soft synths, got into it just as I'd given up smoking and was looking for distractions, spent a few grand, even five or six DAWs. Unfortunately I replaced one addiction with the GAS for new soft synths. But, after about two years of that I've settled right down and only buy maybe one or two plugins a month rather than dozens. Unfortunately, I have just replaced that itch with hardware and eurorack.
:help:

Every now and again though I do just do stuff in the box that I like. Today I updated Ableton Live to 11.2 and finally downloaded all the Suite plugins and tried them out and within half an hour using all the new probability tools and the like had the bones down of a track that seems really promising.

Are you safe?
"For now… a bit like a fish on the floor"
https://tidal.com/artist/33798849

I'm not even including HW, my modular alone is near $20k. and that's just one thing. :lol:

I think one of the main reasons I moved to hardware was I figured if I was investing money in the hobby why put it into things that can easily drop massively in value even on the legitimate market someone can have a sale on an instrument you paid X for and sell it for 10% of the normal price, that then sets a 'new normal' price that people can google and that just doesn't happen with hardware, obviously I know the 'digital revolution' sent classic analog gear to the bargain bins, but I don't see it happening again to that extent because people know that lots of gear goes through that cycle from 'exciting and new' through 'old hat' to 'vintage classic'.

Are you safe?
"For now… a bit like a fish on the floor"
https://tidal.com/artist/33798849

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”