Steampunk Design: Hardware: Wintergatan - Marble Machine (music instrument using 2000 marbles)

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

"The most dangerous man, to any government, is the man who is able to think things out for himself... Almost inevitably he comes to the conclusion that the government he lives under is dishonest, insane and intolerable..." ~ H.L. Mencken

This is amazing, but well known already since 2016. Don’t assume a video with 216 million views has not been seen yet. I guess 99% of KVRists came across it already…

Oh has it? I hadn't noticed the views. Thanks for informing me. I think I may have seen it then too, now that I think about it.
Should I delete the thread?
Anyway, the thing looks like too much work for too little return. But then I suppose one might suggest that that's not really the point of this sort of thing and I guess that's true. So there you go.

It's been about 2 weeks since you replied to my comment, so pardon the delay. But at least I didn't respond 6 years later. You get a lot of that in You Tube's comment sections. Some even 10 years later, like as answers to a question. Long time to wait.

I guess the guy in the video has moved on.
"The most dangerous man, to any government, is the man who is able to think things out for himself... Almost inevitably he comes to the conclusion that the government he lives under is dishonest, insane and intolerable..." ~ H.L. Mencken

Borbolactic wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 1:14 pm Anyway, the thing looks like too much work for too little return. But then I suppose one might suggest that that's not really the point of this sort of thing and I guess that's true. So there you go.
Talking about to much work for no return, that guy spent years on the successor Marblemachine X, which he finally scrapped, without ever recording a proper song with it. But the jams were awesome 8) .

NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

SeBaer wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 9:36 am
Borbolactic wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 1:14 pm Anyway, the thing looks like too much work for too little return. But then I suppose one might suggest that that's not really the point of this sort of thing and I guess that's true. So there you go.
Talking about to much work for no return, that guy spent years on the successor Marblemachine X, which he finally scrapped, without ever recording a proper song with it. But the jams were awesome 8) .
Fair enough, and if one is not, in the process, trashing the planet or community (what's left of what's already been trashed), it seems fine to at least try some things, risk failure and learn from them...

As for those 'jams', I can imagine... As an aside, I once stumbled on a downtown church jazz jam session (or 'rehearsal' or whatever they called it). They let me listen as I walked here and there checking out the architecture at the same time (and upstairs for a view) and they sounded great.

BONES wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 10:50 am This guy is considerably more impressive -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72xrS-ezmA4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5MuKTkukIw
Love Tristan Shone's work but hadn't seen those! Thank you for sharing.

Really inspirational.

So good.

Deserves it's own thread.

Marble guy is also cool. Just not as heavy.

Steampunk Harmonica?
BONES wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 10:50 am This guy is considerably more impressive...

[Two You Tube videos; Boiler Room & Red Bull Music Academy]
Cool and thanks for sharing.

He seems to like the dense/heavy/metallic/industrial/tactile and as I seem to recall him suggesting, textural. Might be a good candidate to get into the kind of music our ancestors did-- acoustic-- should tech sort of decline and/or collapse before long along with civilization. But in the mean time, he seems to be doing his thing.

At first I thought he was doing something with the pipes on the ceiling, so I was kind of disappointed in a way, at least at first. He also seems to be in some kind of allegoric prison, what with his leash-looking neck controller, kludgy hand thingy and other sorts of cagey surrounds. No wonder he's screaming, like Jaz in one of my fave bands, Killing Joke. I'd probably be too.

Admittedly, I found the marble machine guy (and before that, the 'Steampunk synth' that I also posted) by accident (you know how You Tube likes to track-and-algo you and so you get a whole lot of 'funnelled', 'blinkered', 'navel-gazey', 'feedback-looped', 'flatland' suggestions along the right margin?) and simply thought that some of the KVR folks might be curious.
Last edited by Borbolactic on Sun Oct 02, 2022 4:52 am, edited 2 times in total.

Borbolactic wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 1:14 pm Should I delete the thread?
This video is always great to see. I showed it to my kids just the other day. My wife and I told them it was a spanking machine. The looks of terror changing to joy was priceless. :)

Uncle E wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 4:28 am
Borbolactic wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 1:14 pm Should I delete the thread?
This video is always great to see. I showed it to my kids just the other day. My wife and I told them it was a spanking machine. The looks of terror changing to joy was priceless. :)
Yikes! Easy on the kids, though. They are resilient, physically, but far less so psychologically. They generally take things very literally. As adults, we can be more metaphoric with each other.
(Spanking seems as much psychological as physical and I wouldn't recommend it either, whether it came from marbles, plywood or dripping hot wax and you were just doing it to record their sounds of pain and terror for the next album about Canadian government-Catholic Church symbiosis boarding schools for aboriginal children stolen from their parents and cultures.)

LOL! Relax, we’re Chinese.

BONES wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 10:50 am This guy is considerably more impressive -
It is impressive, thanks for sharing. I guess these would be great controllers for you personally, it fits your style perfectly. But that does not make Wintergatan less impressive…

I dunno, he's kind of trapped in there and I like to run around on stage. I think it would be interesting for the first couple of songs but I'm not sure how a whole live set would go. But the thought and effort that has gone into it is amazing.
Borbolactic wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 1:29 amNo wonder he's screaming, like Jaz in one of my fave bands, Killing Joke. I'd probably be too.
Nobody can scream quite like our man Jaz. KJ are my favourite band.
Uncle E wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 4:28 amThis video is always great to see. I showed it to my kids just the other day. My wife and I told them it was a spanking machine. The looks of terror changing to joy was priceless. :)
I think I'd rather be spanked, but maybe that's just me?
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”