Which home speaker system for my home and also to synth jam with?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I have decent 6" JBL studio speakers but we are wanting to get a system for our house and want to make sure it will be excellent for music and synth jamming (Lyra-8 and 0-Coast) as well. I recently saw a 0-Coast jam and they were using this large cylindrical speaker with woofer and it sounded spectacular. There seemed to be so many frequencies and sounds that I wasn't getting with my studio speakers. May have been Bose but not sure.

Would love recommendations on brands and models to look at. Probably want to keep the price at or around $1,000.

killmaster wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 12:54 pmI have decent 6" JBL studio speakers but we are wanting to get a system for our house and want to make sure it will be excellent for music and synth jamming as well.
Something for in the living room then, I presume. What kind of connectivity do you need? Physical inputs, of what type? Bluetooth as well for streaming off your phone. Hook up the TV for better sound maybe? What else is going to be connected? Do you prefer a speaker with built-in amp, or more traditional passive speakers hooked up to a separate amp?

"Excellent for music" does not mean much. Any speaker not being labelled that should not even be produced. You may have requirements regarding the volume it can produce (40W in a home is plenty to annoy all neighbours) and the frequency spectrum. Most speaker systems especially for keyboards are less "hifi" than the average studio speakers. Home hifi tends to be a thad less hifi than good studio speakers as well.
killmaster wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 12:54 pm II recently saw a 0-Coast jam and they were using this large cylindrical speaker with woofer and it sounded spectacular.
Maybe something alike the Infinity One... Our respected BONES uses it with great pleasure.
killmaster wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 12:54 pm There seemed to be so many frequencies and sounds that I wasn't getting with my studio speakers. May have been Bose but not sure.
I think it was the sheer volume that blew you off yer socks. I'm not too impressed by the Bose sound. Any studio monitor sounds objectively better.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

BertKoor wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 1:35 pm
killmaster wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 12:54 pmI have decent 6" JBL studio speakers but we are wanting to get a system for our house and want to make sure it will be excellent for music and synth jamming as well.
Something for in the living room then, I presume. What kind of connectivity do you need? Physical inputs, of what type? Bluetooth as well for streaming off your phone. Hook up the TV for better sound maybe? What else is going to be connected? Do you prefer a speaker with built-in amp, or more traditional passive speakers hooked up to a separate amp?

"Excellent for music" does not mean much. Any speaker not being labelled that should not even be produced. You may have requirements regarding the volume it can produce (40W in a home is plenty to annoy all neighbours) and the frequency spectrum. Most speaker systems especially for keyboards are less "hifi" than the average studio speakers. Home hifi tends to be a thad less hifi than good studio speakers as well.
killmaster wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 12:54 pm II recently saw a 0-Coast jam and they were using this large cylindrical speaker with woofer and it sounded spectacular.
Maybe something alike the Infinity One... Our respected BONES uses it with great pleasure.
killmaster wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 12:54 pm There seemed to be so many frequencies and sounds that I wasn't getting with my studio speakers. May have been Bose but not sure.
I think it was the sheer volume that blew you off yer socks. I'm not too impressed by the Bose sound. Any studio monitor sounds objectively better.
Thanks for the response! Yes, for the living room. Our house is like a barn so a 2 story open floorplan. And I'd like to 1/4 input as well as bluetooth and yes, we'd maybe want to hook up the TV as well. Built in amp I guess, though I don't know much about all this. So, streaming music, synth jamming, television (theater surround not important, just better sound quality than the tv speakers).

I guess it would be ideal to find good home speakers that could double as good studio speakers, but that may not be possible. You can see how little I know about all this!

Hmmm, Infinity One could be a consideration! I like how small it is, but hard to believe it could sound as "big" as I think I want, but maybe. An article I read recommended the JBL Charge 4 over the Infinity One.

Thanks for the pointing out that the volume could be what I like. Hadn't thought about that. It did seem like there were more discernable frequencies but I guess that could be it's ability to handle louder volume or the acoustics of the particular room.

Hmmm, 1/4" inputs for a synth (let alone multiple) is very rare on home hifi. If you want to jam with more than just one synth, you probably want a mixer besides an amp & speakers. The mixer will usually have 1/4" inputs. If the outputs are 1/4" as well, a simple pair of adapters can convert that to RCA which is what's used in the home hifi world. A decent enough mixer with a couple of inputs can be had for less than $100.

The Infinity One is a portable solution. Something you'd bring along to any place, drop on the floor and jam. My wife surely doesn't want that in her living room.

Have you ever tried hooking up your TV or synth to your current JBL studio speakers? It might be good and loud enough already.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

BertKoor wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 2:29 pm Hmmm, 1/4" inputs for a synth (let alone multiple) is very rare on home hifi. If you want to jam with more than just one synth, you probably want a mixer besides an amp & speakers. The mixer will usually have 1/4" inputs. If the outputs are 1/4" as well, a simple pair of adapters can convert that to RCA which is what's used in the home hifi world. A decent enough mixer with a couple of inputs can be had for less than $100.

The Infinity One is a portable solution. Something you'd bring along to any place, drop on the floor and jam. My wife surely doesn't want that in her living room.

Have you ever tried hooking up your TV or synth to your current JBL studio speakers? It might be good and loud enough already.
Thanks again. Good advice about a mixer. I was wondering how I would jam on the Infinity One speaker? It's only bluetooth and USB. I guess I could use my iConnectivity's audio passthrough into it using USB?

just a warning about my bad user experience with JBL products
viewtopic.php?t=587244

I sent the second replaced partybox this morning to JBL for fixing, a brand new speaker I only used once. :x
15 days are expected for the speaker to come back home, great news for a 400 € brand new speaker ! :x

Really just came here to giggle at the idea of someone called KillMaster buying a home speaker system. :hihi:

But I'll suggest to check out what Focal have to offer.

killmaster wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 12:54 pm I have decent 6" JBL studio speakers
Out of interest: Which ones do you have?

chk071 wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 5:57 pm
killmaster wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 12:54 pm I have decent 6" JBL studio speakers
Out of interest: Which ones do you have?
Oops, they are 5" afterall. These:

https://www.guitarcenter.com/JBL/305P-M ... 6YQAvD_BwE

:tu:

I have one of the predecessors to those (LSR 305).

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”