SPL PQ (plug-in alliance)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

What says the HIVE MIND?
Aiynzahev-sounds
Sound Designer - Soundsets for Pigments, Repro, Diva, Virus TI, Nord Lead 4, Serum, DUNE2, Spire, and others

Aiynzahev wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 10:22 pm What says the HIVE MIND?
“Diva is better” :lol:
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

My mind said push the Buy button, $31 . . . bargain
Say NO to CLAP!

I'll get it with my $1 voucher. I have no about it will be useful, I might even pick to up without demoing it, but here's the question I have, at the end of the day most of these EQ's just offer a different workflow, some of them have interesting curves that would be cumbersome to model with a standard EQ, however what doe style EQ really offer in the digital domain? We already have all the headroom we need right?

Also another question, what is the TMT even based on in this model? How many HW units did they have to test to find out tolerances in each one? You get my drift? I think it's just a hypothetical estimation.
Aiynzahev-sounds
Sound Designer - Soundsets for Pigments, Repro, Diva, Virus TI, Nord Lead 4, Serum, DUNE2, Spire, and others

Aiynzahev wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 2:55 am I'll get it with my $1 voucher. I have no about it will be useful, I might even pick to up without demoing it, but here's the question I have, at the end of the day most of these EQ's just offer a different workflow, some of them have interesting curves that would be cumbersome to model with a standard EQ, however what doe style EQ really offer in the digital domain? We already have all the headroom we need right?

Also another question, what is the TMT even based on in this model? How many HW units did they have to test to find out tolerances in each one? You get my drift? I think it's just a hypothetical estimation.
There's been a lot of speculation that TMT is just randomisation not really deep emulation.

I have no clue why they don't offer an alternative view for their EQs, like Pulsar Massive https://pulsar.audio/massive/

A field of knobs with tiny text is just about the least intuitive method of interacting with an on-screen EQ.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Ploki wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 1:32 pm A field of knobs with tiny text is just about the least intuitive method of interacting with an on-screen EQ.
i agree !

but: what you really buy is the GUI. Some folks need exactly that, haha. / just semi kidding

Pulsar did it really well with their Massive GUI
Aiynzahev-sounds

Aiynzahev wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 2:55 am Also another question, what is the TMT even based on in this model? How many HW units did they have to test to find out tolerances in each one? You get my drift? I think it's just a hypothetical estimation.
I'm sure every mastering engineer would want an expensive mastering eq that has differences between L and R channel. :lol:
More BPM please

dionenoid wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 5:48 pm
Aiynzahev wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 2:55 am Also another question, what is the TMT even based on in this model? How many HW units did they have to test to find out tolerances in each one? You get my drift? I think it's just a hypothetical estimation.
I'm sure every mastering engineer would want an expensive mastering eq that has differences between L and R channel. :lol:
Well... if they are using analogue gear there will definitely be a measureable difference between channels. That's the beauty of analogue and why we love it!

plexuss wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 6:24 pm
Well... if they are using analogue gear there will definitely be a measureable difference between channels. That's the beauty of analogue and why we love it!
Uhm, no.

You'll generally find that the more expensive the gear, the smaller the differences are. And mastering gear is usually build to rigourous specs, with minute differences between channels.

The SPL PQ is a 6000 bucks costing mastering eq, which according to SPL and several endorsements has the ability to "boost or cut frequencies very precisely without distorting the sound image". Overall THD is < 0.02db and overall tolerance < 0.05db per channel, according to the specs. Also, their reasoning for using 12V tech is to improve stability and minimize differences, even across units.

Now, compare that to TMT showing differences which exceed 3db on a single frequency band and you'll know what nonsense it is. Luckily we can switch it off.
More BPM please

dionenoid wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 12:51 pm
plexuss wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 6:24 pm
Uhm, no.

You'll generally find that the more expensive the gear, the smaller the differences are. And mastering gear is usually build to rigourous specs, with minute differences between channels.

The SPL PQ is a 6000 bucks costing mastering eq, which according to SPL and several endorsements has the ability to "boost or cut frequencies very precisely without distorting the sound image". Overall THD is < 0.02db and overall tolerance < 0.05db per channel, according to the specs. Also, their reasoning for using 12V tech is to improve stability and minimize differences, even across units.

Now, compare that to TMT showing differences which exceed 3db on a single frequency band and you'll know what nonsense it is. Luckily we can switch it off.
I didn’t know the spec of the PQ but I also assumed the channel differences would be tiny on a unit of that caliber. I don’t even know what actual “modeling” went into this, but I feel like it might as well be none for such transparent high spec EQs.
Aiynzahev-sounds

Edited
Last edited by Vortifex on Thu Dec 07, 2023 11:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

There is a pop-up readout on all the knobs so you don't have to look at the values around the knobs which I agree are ridiculously cramped even at larger sizes.

There is also a red GUI version that's a bit easier to read although I find red rather harsh on my eyes.

As with any PA plugin you really just have to try the demo. Don't read the hype or the ad blurbs, just see if you like it or not.

As for TMT, I've always found it to be more gimmick than substance and almost always turn it off in any plugin that has the function.
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

dionenoid wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 12:51 pm
plexuss wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 6:24 pm Well... if they are using analogue gear there will definitely be a measureable difference between channels. That's the beauty of analogue and why we love it!
Uhm, no.
But then, right after...
dionenoid wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 12:51 pm You'll generally find that the more expensive the gear ... with minute differences between channels.
So then... "Uhm, yes."

People have lost their minds.

Unfortunately, that’s also how their hardware looks. Have you seen their passeq? Christ it’s unreadable. A couple of elysia hardware pieces are like that, too, and their corresponding plugin GUIs are equally as horrid.

Return to “Effects”