NI Komplete 14

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic

Preset previews are fine, but you can't arrow down a list of presets in the new browser, quickly previewing each one, like it is possible in Komplete Kontrol. Small detail, but quite annoying, because you have to carefully single-click each preset.

New HiDPI Browser, Factory Library 2 (first HiDPI content), new effects.
ADDED Fullscreen HiDPI Browser featuring global text search; filter by tag, brand and properties (editable for user-created content), favourite presets for quick access, and import non-player libraries
FIXED Kontakt is HiDPI compatible - correctly sized on high resolution displays
Maybe I’m reading this wrong, but to me that says the HiDPI won’t kick in on Kontakt content that hasn’t been specifically coded for it and the Factory Library will initially be the only thing besides the browser that automatically rescales itself on a hi def monitor. Does this at least mean that third party Kontakt library vendors can create hi def versions of their libraries?

Also, implementing rescale for HiDPI without any other scaling options is lame.
Some DAWs I don’t want to see a small number of huge tracks so don’t want to set HiDPI up as a global thing.

Are you safe?
"For now… a bit like a fish on the floor"
https://tidal.com/artist/33798849

jules99 wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 6:37 am Preset previews are fine, but you can't arrow down a list of presets in the new browser, quickly previewing each one, like it is possible in Komplete Kontrol. Small detail, but quite annoying, because you have to carefully single-click each preset.
I am using my arrows just fine in lists of presets in the new browser.. macOS here. Fast and easy to hear each one .. no need for carefully single click.

Just go download the Kontakt 7 Player in the NI Access app. Seems to be free for all. That way you can play with the HiDPI and other new features first hand.

VitaminD wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 1:16 pm Just go download the Kontakt 7 Player in the NI Access app. Seems to be free for all. That way you can play with the HiDPI and other new features first hand.
The main thing I want to find out about is third party library import, and the free version won't let you do that.

Really surprised no user has yet commented on how it works in practice.
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.sound-on-screen.com
W10, i7 7820X, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2023 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 13
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

noiseboyuk wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 1:23 pm
The main thing I want to find out about is third party library import, and the free version won't let you do that.

Really surprised no user has yet commented on how it works in practice.
Don't know if you're refering to that, but on the free kontakt player at least, any third party library that was made prior to kontakt 5 isn't recognized in the new browser, but the old browser locates them just fine. No my samplemodeling trombone is deemed too old for kontakt7 :( :( :D

So far the only thing i really appreciate over version 6, is the window settings being stored?, now if i reopen a project in ableton, the kontakt libraries in the project will reopened minimized, if i set them that way.

Daru925 wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 1:40 pmDon't know if you're refering to that, but on the free kontakt player at least, any third party library that was made prior to kontakt 5 isn't recognized in the new browser, but the old browser locates them just fine. No my samplemodeling trombone is deemed too old for kontakt7 :( :( :D
Not quite what I meant but interesting to know nonetheless - another drawback.

Surely the full version would be able to import the libraries, since it can import non-Player libraries. Would be totally insane if it could do that but not import it's own stuff from a few years ago.
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

nightjar wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 12:56 pm
jules99 wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 6:37 am Preset previews are fine, but you can't arrow down a list of presets in the new browser, quickly previewing each one, like it is possible in Komplete Kontrol. Small detail, but quite annoying, because you have to carefully single-click each preset.
I am using my arrows just fine in lists of presets in the new browser.. macOS here. Fast and easy to hear each one .. no need for carefully single click.
I've tried AU and VST3 in Ableton 11.2, AU in Logic Pro 10.6.3, VST3 in Bitwig 4.3 - when I'm in the browser like you see below, open one of the instrument folders, and the list of presets pops up on the right, nothing happens when I use the arrow keys. Latest update of Kontakt 7.0.11 is installed. You're saying, it's working in your system? What DAW are you using if I may ask?

zvenx wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 6:16 pm
dionenoid wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 5:45 pm
zvenx wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 5:39 pm
Echoes in the Attic wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 5:37 pm Wait, so Kontakt 7 plugin is actually called Kontakt 7.vst3 instead of just Kontakt.VST3? Half the reason I upgraded the last one was because they removed the number for Kontakt 6 and just called it Kontakt.VST3, so that I wouldn't have to replace them or keep old copies in the future. They didn't seriously put the number back did they?
Yep they did.
rsp
But, did they keep the same plugin ID ? Because that's all that matters for backwards compatibility.
nope.. they didn't.
Currently Cubendo sees it as a completely different plugin.
rsp
Damn, that sux.
More BPM please

jules99 wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 2:12 pm
nightjar wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 12:56 pm
I've tried AU and VST3 in Ableton 11.2, AU in Logic Pro 10.6.3, VST3 in Bitwig 4.3 - when I'm in the browser like you see below, open one of the instrument folders, and the list of presets pops up on the right, nothing happens when I use the arrow keys. Latest update of Kontakt 7.0.11 is installed. You're saying, it's working in your system? What DAW are you using if I may ask?

Arrows are working for me in standalone app, but not in Ableton 11.2. They also don't work in Massive X browser, but they do work in FM8. So could just be something going on between the new browser and DAWs. Like you said, it's a small detail.
Last edited by seismicfm on Wed Sep 28, 2022 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WatchTheGuitar wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 6:38 am Does this at least mean that third party Kontakt library vendors can create hi def versions of their libraries?
For sure this will be possible. Old libraries just can't automagically get a new hi res GUIs, but scaling them up would be possible albeit looking blurry.

jules99 wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 2:12 pmImage
Out of interest, why are there images missing from 3 of these 4 Komplete libraries?
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

Decided to take Kontakt Player for a spin. I can confirm older libraries aren't supported in the new browser, and a lot of third party libraries have no images assigned - you would have thought they'd default to the cropped images used in the left pane if there was nothing specific.

Speaking of the left pane, initially I could not make this reduce to to its original small size, it was fixed in super-wide position. I'm not sure where it changed, but now it is fixed ONLY in its small size.

Another limitation is in the use of banks. A relatively recent library like Arkhis has the banks categories, but older ones even in Komplete do not have them. Evolve R2 has 4 subfolders to browse, but these don't show up in the new browser. This is somewhat mystifying, since I assumed they used subfolders to categorize, and that would have been a simple and elegant way to give at least basic banks to all libraries.

Other libraries are pretty borked here. Spitfire's HZO1 (renamed HZ Percussion) has just one single patch that displays - Timpani Hits Hard Sticks. Perhaps less surprisingly, there's no semi-intelligent auto-tagging - Cincesamples' CineBrass can't use the word Brass in the name to suggest a brass tag. There appears to be no way to add tags (but perhaps this feature is in the full version?)

The user section is also baffling. Out of my 46,834 presets, it found a total of 7 that I'd made my own. On further investigation, 2 of those 7 were from a non-player library, and those patches opened in demo mode. It seems it only harvests user SNAPSHOTS - not user patches - for the user category. I can also confirm that my patches from a non-player library DO NOT show up in the full search results.

All round the browser feels very half baked. The basic idea is sound I think, but the devil is in the sheer number of stuffed-up details. It doesn't really work properly as it is, it's missing patches in some libraries, other libraries are missing completely, the tagging is patchy, user patches are all over the place and use of Banks sporadic.

BTW - at least George Duke's image shows up correctly here (unlike the above screengrab).
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

noiseboyuk wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 3:28 pm
jules99 wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 2:12 pmImage
Out of interest, why are there images missing from 3 of these 4 Komplete libraries?
Kontakt Library is the only library with a picture in my version of Kontakt. I have no idea why the other libraries' pictures are all missing and, I frankly can't be bothered to re-install over 1 terabyte of data just to test that.

Double-post because separate Kontakt issue: try loading a library like "Soul Sessions", "Alicia's Keys" or "Arkhis" in the VST3 version of Kontakt (this issue does not exists in the AU version), then play some midi notes with your controller. While playing, change some parameters inside the Kontakt instrument. For me, at that moment when turning the knobs, Kontakt stops responding to incoming MIDI notes. Only when you click on the DAW behind it does Kontakt start responding again.

This does not happen with the Factory Library. This also does not happen when you have pre-recorded MIDI notes playing. But I often load a preset, play it with my MIDI keyboard and make some changes in the instrument while doing to, like changing the amount of reverb or add a filter.

Does anyone else have that problem?

Return to “Instruments”