Help finding a good beginner instrument bundle VST

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello everybody!

I play in a recreational cover band. We all play classical instruments: violin, viola (that’d be me), cello, and flute. I know, not your typical band set-up, but it’s a lot of fun. We mostly play 80s, 90s pop songs at friend's parties etc. I also write original songs for us. Until recently, I’ve done it all old school writing down the scores in a note book, but I’d like to do that more professionally using a computer. That way we could also add instruments we’re not able to play ourselves, notably synths and drums.

I demoed the well know DAW like Ableton, FL, Cubase etc. but I find them quite intimidating and far too complex for what we need. The only DAW where I might find my way around in might be Tracktion 5. I quite like the uncluttered GUI. However for now, I decided to use Cantabile.

Anyway, both come without any VSTi. Therefore, I’m looking for a good third party instrument collection. I looked at the ubiquitous Kontak 5, but it doesn’t come cheap and I’m not sure if we really need something that powerful. Do you know of any good alternative that is easy to use?

Have tried all the freeware ? This will give you a better idea of what you like/need compare those with tons of demos out there. Kontakt is a good idea to get a lot of freebies(free banks) . Try Kontakt Player free see if you like it.
MXLinux21, 16 Gig RAM, Intel i7 Quad 3.9, Reaper 6.42, Behringer 204HD or Win7 Steinberg MR816x

For synths and drums you don't really need Kontakt, there are a number of good free options.

My favorite free drum library by far is Power Drum Kit 2 by Manda Audio, which used to be commercial: http://www.powerdrumkit.com/

Synths are a huge can of worms here. If you're not looking for too much complication but enough power to get the job done and a whole lot of presets online, Synth1 is a classic (gotta use google translate): http://www.geocities.jp/daichi1969/softsynth/

If you didn't find it already, https://www.kvraudio.com/plugins/newest

Here in KVR there is a big library with free stuff. You can use filter there to narrow down stuff you might be looking for
Win 10 -64bit, CPU i7-7700K, 32Gb, Focusrite 2i2, FL-studio 20, Studio One 4, Reason 10

Are you looking to make mock-ups for your band setup? In other words, looking for violin, viola, cello and flute instruments you can use when the band isn't around?
In this case, do a search for free SFZ files for the instruments you are interested in. There are many SFZ players out there, and for mock-ups you will undoubtedly find something usable. Another alternative would be to hunt around for a bargain on a workstation-style synth (i.e. GM style ). I dunno if you can still pick of Dimension Pro for 20 bucks, but that would probably have you covered.

Synths should be easy - there's no lack of capable freebies out there. You'll want some FX as well to add something to the sound (e.g. reverb, delay). All of these can be found for free.

Drums are maybe a bit harder. If you want realistic drums, you are going to need something with multiple velocity layers at the very least. If you are happy with sampler-style drums, the internet is awash with free drum samples. The quality varies greatly though.

There's also Drum Mic'a, which is free and sets you on the path for a cheaper upgrade to Kontakt. You need to register for an activation code, and the site is in German. If you need help with the German, you can always ask, but most people seem to get by with Google translate.

If you're looking for production ready instruments, then Kontakt is probably your best bet, but as you say, that's not going to come cheap.

There are some great free VSTs that are neither synth nor sampler, like the Combo Model V organ.

@ Boone777 I have downloaded the Kontakt Player and the sound of the sample libraries is ok, but I thought before buying the full Kontakt 5 I look around a bit more.

@ Googly Smythe Those might be something for later, when I actually know what I'm doing :)

@ nineofkings That drum kit seems pretty neat and in the video it looks fairly straightforward. I’ll give it a try.
About Synth1. A really stupid question, but I know zero about synthesizers. :oops: When you use a preset, all you have to do is hit a note on your keyboard and you’re ready to go? I don’t want to do in-depth synthesis, just use the synth sound, that’s why I’m asking.

@ ATN69 Thank you. I didn’t see the wood for the trees, because I was looking for vst not plugin. So many to choose from …

@ sjm I'd like to do both. Mock-ups for composing and the additional instruments when we're performing. SFZ files, now I know what to look for. The Senheiser Drum is a useful tip. I'd like to get Kontakt 5 eventually, because you can get so many additional libraries for it. But £ 340 is some serious money.

I might have a look at Sampletank 3, because they're cheaper. I'd really like a one-stop set up, so I can learn the ins and outs of that and then get going.

You can get Komplete select for 200 USD now, it comes with some synths, some drums, piano, electric piano and organ. https://www.native-instruments.com/en/p ... 11-select/

Later there are sales on upgrades to Komplete or Komplete ultimate at 50% off. So you could get Komplete for 300 USD more later if you want.
dedication to flying

A really stupid question, but I know zero about synthesizers. :oops: When you use a preset, all you have to do is hit a note on your keyboard and you’re ready to go? I don’t want to do in-depth synthesis, just use the synth sound, that’s why I’m asking.
That's what presets are for :wink:
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

@ all Thanks for your suggestions. I’ve downloaded Synth1 and managed to get a sound out of it ... after realising that you don’t need a play button to actually get started. :D I’ll have to hunt for presets now and need to watch a tutorial or two.

In addition to the Kontakt Player I also downloaded the free versions of Sampletank, UVI, Proteus and Independence. From what I’ve heard so far, their sound differs quite a bit in character which is interesting. I’ll also try Titan for the synth sound. That should keep me busy for the next weeks.

Bumped into this thread and I'm curious how this ended up, assuming the OP is around anymore (doubtful). Hopefully he eventually found that even then there was better than Synth1 for free synths (not that it's bad sounding, but omg that UI...). And better DAWs for "newbies" that are if not free, very inexpensive.

And I love the idea of a recreational cover band that plays classical instruments! I'd rather see that than 90% of the bands out there now.

If you want an easy to use DAW then try MuLab. It has instruments and fx included.

Or for even more simplicity, you could try nano-host, but this doesn't have a sequencer and allows one instrument at a time. Though you can make synths standalone, allowing you to run as many as you want. But then this sort of thing is more for playing live.

I use cantible free too.
Many free instruments are around and they work great for me.
For basic stuff I use the Numa player, HaNon organ and Vox Organ.

https://www.studiologic-music.com/products/numaplayer/

https://www.audiopluginsforfree.com/hanon-b70/

https://plugins4free.com/plugin/1004/

And I use Blue Cat free fx

https://www.bluecataudio.com/Products/B ... ewarePack/

Synthesizers I use are the free u-he + Full Bucket + Surge xt + Odin 2 + K1v. I just downloaded the free Oi Grandad grain synth to try out too.

We're more of a jam band that sometimes plays at the local college and if we have a sound I guess it's like early XTC + Gentle Giant + Zappa. But we get college musicians playing with us from the concert band orchestra some times that we call a visiting maniac.

I don't use daws but bandlab is another one you can try for free that I read about here.

aanano wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 4:55 pm I don't use daws but bandlab is another one you can try for free that I read about here.
I think you mean Cakewalk. I tried it years ago and didn't grab me, but it's all subjective. IMO the easiest DAW out there (outside of Audacity, which is limited) is Mixcraft. Only DAW I ever used where I didn't have to go pouring through documentation to find out how to do even the most basic of things.

mixyguy2 wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 1:28 am Bumped into this thread and I'm curious how this ended up, assuming the OP is around anymore (doubtful).
Fancy that, somebody digging up my old post from five years ago :) . I’ve come a long way since then. These days I use Cubase Pro as my DAW. After demoing a few DAWs I used Dorico and Cubase Elements for a few years, because it’s super easy to record with Cubase.

In regards to VST: I did what every newbie probably does, I got completely overwhelmed by what’s available and downloaded every freebie out there, until I put the brakes on. I wanted to make/write music, not spend my time demoing zillion of VST. Therefore I wrote down what it is that I want from a VST. So now I have Sampletank 4 + Miroslav Philharmonik for instruments. Kontakt is supposed to be better, but I don’t like the tiny GUI and the price tag and some of the Miroslav sounds are really nice despite their age, e.g. our flautist prefers their flutes over the ones from NI. Once I got Cubase I added Halion and Grooveagent.

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”