The COLC Impact On Your DAW Use

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

'COLC' - Cost Of Living Crisis

Has this impacted the regularity or pattern in which you use your computer to create music specifically with a software-based DAW?

Personally, I'm not creating music at all and instead using it to develop plugin interfaces vie various methods. I have tried to cut the duration in which I have my computer on to no more than 7 hours which is difficult. My head for music just isn't there as my attention span doesn't last any longer than 15 minutes before I get bored. It use to be a few days...
Last edited by THE INTRANCER on Tue Sep 27, 2022 2:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

No. And you misspelled crisis.

Lack of M1 versions has impacted it though. (C'mon IK, T-RackS already!)

I have noted for a long time that you don't seem to enjoy making music, based on your topics.
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

THE INTRANCER wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 6:41 pm My head for music just isn't there as my attention span doesn't last any longer than 15 minutes before I get bored. It use to be a few days...
That sounds like the fundamental issue here. It's okay to take a break indefinitely if it's not rewarding any more. I notice you have several interests in your signature. Do you have zeal for those, or has it all waned? Do you find joy in any of those activities now?

These are indeed tough times for many people. If music creation becomes lower in priority that is an unfortunate but practical decision if it is not making money, even if it's subconsciously happening.

It's not a crisis. It just sucks. When you don't have a roof over your head or food available, that's a crisis.

jonljacobi wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 8:09 pm It's not a crisis. It just sucks. When you don't have a roof over your head or food available, that's a crisis.
Uh no , do you even follow the news and what's going in Europe ?
When a middle class household family that never had any financial problems , suddenly struggle to pay the energy bills , That's a crisis my friend .
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

yellowmix wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 3:44 pm
THE INTRANCER wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 6:41 pm My head for music just isn't there as my attention span doesn't last any longer than 15 minutes before I get bored. It use to be a few days...
That sounds like the fundamental issue here. It's okay to take a break indefinitely if it's not rewarding any more. I notice you have several interests in your signature. Do you have zeal for those, or has it all waned? Do you find joy in any of those activities now?

These are indeed tough times for many people. If music creation becomes lower in priority that is an unfortunate but practical decision if it is not making money, even if it's subconsciously happening.
The regularity in which I produce music now fell off the cliff last year and this year isn't much better. The music I create now is pretty weird, it's all over the place. Only two tracks this year, but yes I do have the zeal as you put it for my other interests in the arts and scripting which provides a challenge. Never made money from my music in the 30 years I've been creating it, and generally these days, the process to create it, is all rather mechanical, bereth of feeling which is odd to say. The last track I posted almost a month ago was this one.

https://soundcloud.com/scott-moncrieff- ... rows-world
KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

Have you considered tackling something more challenging than dance music?
Perhaps some 4-part harmony composition?

I'm glad to hear you have joy in other pursuits, because I was concerned you may be struggling with depression. But more likely, it sounds like you could have untreated ADHD.
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

Maybe now is a good time to keep yer wallet in yer pocket and not give in to any GAS (Gear Acquisition Syndrome) and just make use of whatever you already have.

Making music with DAWs and VSTi's has never been easier and cheaper. I actually found my creativity does burst in times of troubles.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

jamcat wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 3:20 am Have you considered tackling something more challenging than dance music?

I'm glad to hear you have joy in other pursuits, because I was concerned you may be struggling with depression. But more likely, it sounds like you could have untreated ADHD.
what f**king right do you have to diagnose him online? NONE SO STOP.
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

jamcat wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 3:20 am Have you considered tackling something more challenging than dance music?

He's done it for 30 yrs and got bored of it, so...he's got ADHD or depressed? :dog:
I dunno, but in my books doing something for 30 years is pretty damned dogged and persistent. Kinda the opposite of ADHD? Or can he only be said to be concentrating properly once he's done it for 50 years? :hihi:

could you just read my post above...look both of you, just stay out of his threads. Because I'm just gonna start suspending...if you dont like him or his posts leave him be, he's not hurting anyone and frankly we dont need to baby sit this kind of thing.
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

It's more affected the visual art and rendering side of things for me. There's less impetus to experiment and iterate when I know an overnight render costs around £1 to £1.50. The price I pay per kWh jumped 3x, and it's only by working backwards that I can tell you an overnight render used to cost 33p to 50p because I never had to think about it before.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”