Create Sample Packs

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi Guys!

I have a question. I want to create a Sample Pack for me but also for other people (in other words i also want to sell it). I really want to make a huge library with drums of all genres. Now I know how to create Trap or EDM Drums with my DAW. But my problem is that I also want to add Rock Drums, Jazz Drums, Latin Drums Percs etc.. Now I donˋt have the opportunity to record those drums by myself. Now my question is what would be the best way to get those drum hits? Should I pay session drummers for recording their sets or should I search the internet for drummer vids and chop up drum breaks? I know the latter would be problematic with copyright issues.

Just wanted to know what you guys think.

Thank you in advance!

KevLfc wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 10:54 pm Now my question is what would be the best way to get those drum hits? Should I pay session drummers for recording their sets or should I search the internet for drummer vids and chop up drum breaks? I know the latter would be problematic with copyright issues.
You know what's wrong & right, so...
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

Chop them up, add fx, no one will ever notice

If I were to use a sample pack (it doesn’t matter if paid or free), I definitely want the content to be royalty free, so chopping other people material (or doing anything that make the samplepack not royalty free) is a no-go.

If I were to use material that could put me in troubles someday, I want to know it beforehand, so it’s up to me to decide if I want to take a risk. I definitely don’t want to use some material as royalty free and ending up with lawyers after some time.

Regarding sampling from videos, I shoul also add that lossy sound sources should be avoided when making sound libraries… sound quality is important, right?

As for sampling a real drummer, it’s a possibility… you’ll hire them to record the samples (of course you’ll describe them your goal, first). Although it won’t be a quick easy and cheap task, probably!
Also, the equipment, the ambience, the skills of a drummer will vary a lot… but you’ll want your library to provide a consistent degree of quality and “a signature sound”, not sound like a “compilation” (it’s difficult to describe, I hope you get what I mean).

A final consideration: why you want to make a library so wide (genre-wise)? For example, I make house and techno and I couldn’t care less for rock or metal drum samples (especially if I have to pay for them)… I would rather make separate products, each one focused on one or two genres. Unless we’re speaking of the factory library of a sampler, usually the libraries are genre-specific…
free multisamples (last upd: 22th May 2021).
-------------------------
I vote with my wallet.

Use public domain samples.

https://vis.versilstudios.com/virtuosity-drums.html

viewtopic.php?t=433571

I also recommend making genre-specific sample packs.

I dunno much about it, but drum sets are an art for themselves as well as recording and mixing them. You seem to start at the wrong end of the todo list.

There are billions of tutorials, demos and so on on Youtube that might also show you, that things are often not as easy as the seem. Some sets and recordings rather seem to be unique - and Boy - that´s what it´s about today.

I mean what differs a jazz drumset from rocknroll and how do you want to come close without having one, as well as in depth experience with it :?

KevLfc wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 10:54 pm
... But my problem is that I also want to add Rock Drums, Jazz Drums, Latin Drums Percs etc..
Now I donˋt have the opportunity to record those drums by myself ...
Well, your project seems a bit "big": Others have been studying certain genres for decades,
and that's the only way they can know which drum sounds are relevant with which
processing.

As you can already guess: If you take drum samples from other authors, then you are infringing
on their copyright. In the worst case, this could be expensive for you. And that's not fulfilling
either. :(

If you really want to contribute, you have to create something new yourself. That means you
have to record and edit drum sounds yourself. After all, that's what's fun, isn't it? :tu:

If you really don't have the opportunity to record drums yourself, then you should stay
away from it. And instead focus on experimental sounds that you can record yourself. :wink:
free mp3s + info: andy-enroe.de songs + weird stuff: enroe.de

I would disregard everything said on this thread. Not everyone has access to recording equipment all the time. Start with public domain samples, modify them, sell them, make money. It's a good career opportunity. Eventually start recording your own stuff. What's important is not that you recorded it but:

1) It's royalty free (meaning you didn't steal it).
2) It provides value to the buyer (meaning it's useable).
3) It makes you money.

It's not about re-packaging sounds. Make loops with them, process them, etc.

Danilo Villanova wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 12:52 pm I would disregard everything said on this thread. Not everyone has access to recording equipment all the time. Start with public domain samples, modify them, sell them, make money. It's a good career opportunity. Eventually start recording your own stuff. What's important is not that you recorded it but:

1) It's royalty free (meaning you didn't steal it).
2) It provides value to the buyer (meaning it's useable).
3) It makes you money.

It's not about re-packaging sounds. Make loops with them, process them, etc.
Unfortunately using samples labeled as CC0 is a pretty unsure compliance policy. You'll even find samples from Roland groove boxes - named as such - available as CC0.

But yes - you can also find homegrown sounds at e. g. freesounds.org - and they may one the one handalso show you, that recording is a learning field on its own while on the other go far beyond your possibilities and time budget.

You can find lots of great exotic (asian, african, ..) Percussions for example).

For foleys look for felix blume. His mics and recorders are top notch, far beyond what you might consider to spend within years.

rather than selling what people can find themselves, have you thought about collaboration?
finding people who have interesting equipment and can record for you, then you do the editing and organising.

there are plenty of people who might be willing to work with you :)

KevLfc wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 10:54 pm I want to create a Sample Pack for me but also for other people -
in other words i also want to sell it. ...
If you use samples that you can find freely on the net as a starting
point, then this is problematic for two reasons:

1. Most of the free samples are protected under GNU license or a
special CC license. This license, specially created for samples,
states that you can freely use the samples for music productions and
songs. However, you CANNOT use them to create your own sample
sets. And more than that you are not allowed to distribute such
sample sets commercially.

2. The few exceptions to the sample sets that are made freely
available, i.e. under CC0, are "public domain" so to speak and are
freely available to everyone on all continents.

From a purely legal point of view, you are allowed to use them,
reprocess them in your own way and then sell them. The only question
is: How high is your own creative share? So your "height of
creation"? Can that ever be fulfilling - or does this approach always
have the smell of plagiarism? You have to decide this question for
yourself. :neutral:

---> Ultimately, however, the motivation is crucial: If your motivation
from the outset is to make money with it, then I think your project is
doomed to failure.

The real intrinsic motivation always arises from the doing itself, from
the pleasure in the sound and in turning the knobs. A lot of musicians
do this - and mostly offer their samples for free. So if you want to sell