Least favourite part of music creation?

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

What's yours? Mine is when track is mostly done and now I need to EQ etc. certain elements that I skipped before (never finding the sweetspot), creating variations/automations and transitions. It takes me days, sometimes weeks. While arrangement can be done in a day or two.
please Like, Comment and Subscribe!

Similar, the basic parts of a song are not hard at all for me, the tweaking of various elements to make it less of a pattern sequencer sounding thing, and final mastering are like pulling teeth compared.

Dunno, i don't usually think in negatives, esp about music creation. i like it all. What's your Most favorite part of music creation?
gadgets an gizmos..make noise https://soundcloud.com/crystalawareness Restocked: 3/24
old stuff http://ww.dancingbearaudioresearch.com/
if this post is edited -it was for punctuation, grammar, or to make it coherent (or make me seem coherent).

CrystalWizard wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 8:38 pm Dunno, i don't usually think in negatives, esp about music creation. i like it all. What's your Most favorite part of music creation?
Mostly when I finally reach my flow state and the track (after being a demo for days or weeks) just writes itself and I have a good foundation for a song and then can finally go to sleep at 9AM in a morning. This is the period where I realize that it is no longer just a sketch but an actual work in progress (some people call it demo, but I reserve this word for sketches or 8-16 bar loops only).

Propellerhands wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 8:51 pm
CrystalWizard wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 8:38 pm Dunno, i don't usually think in negatives, esp about music creation. i like it all. What's your Most favorite part of music creation?
Mostly when I finally reach my flow state and the track (after being a demo for days or weeks) just writes itself and I have a good foundation for a song and then can finally go to sleep at 9AM in a morning. This is the period where I realize that it is no longer just a sketch but an actual work in progress (some people call it demo, but I reserve this word for sketches or 8-16 bar loops only).
Nice. I know that 9AM feeling.
gadgets an gizmos..make noise https://soundcloud.com/crystalawareness Restocked: 3/24
old stuff http://ww.dancingbearaudioresearch.com/
if this post is edited -it was for punctuation, grammar, or to make it coherent (or make me seem coherent).

now I have a question about the title of this thread, the OP said music creation as opposed to producing :shrug: I'm like CW above, I dont think in negatives like that but I will go with the literal interpretation of the title. I will admit that I dont really enjoy mastering but mastering has nada to do with music creation, that only has to do with taking music I previously created and putting it all together, but then I can shop that out very easily.

If I have already played the guitar parts, played the keyboard parts, played the bass I feel good about my own hands on invovlement that did indeed create the music. (typically drums are jamstix and some parts for synths/samplers might be written out instead of played) I am just human, I am not great at everything especially some of the technical stuff so at that point I am quite comfortable with my musical creative input on the piece because for me that is what is all about, playing the instrument of my passion :shrug:
ftr I am not passionate about the dollar bill at all, and I really dont care how many people are listening to my music, when I finish a piece it has already given me all that I could ask for and then some
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

When I get my mix to the “NAILED IT!!!” stage, then listen to it in my car and it’s a muddy disaster :dog:
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | SX7

Recording guitar and vocals.

I like singing, I like playing the guitar, I just find the process of recording them fraught with tension. :scared:

Once done, all good!

Lyrics.

Next question.
Even I was offended by what I was going to put here.
Newest Release, retro EBM, Brute Opposition - Unity of Command, released Sept '22 bandcamp link

All of it. I hate it. Some parts more than others but I do not enjoy actually creating music at all. I love having finished songs to perform but the process of getting them ready shits me to tears. It's mostly hard, boring work.

Then, when you get to a certain stage, you have more songs than you know what to do with, so you have to decide which ones to leave out of your live set. I hate having to do that, too. But we need new songs to keep people interested, so on it goes... hundreds of hours of misery for one hour of pure, unadulterated joy every few years. It is the very definition of insanity but that's how it is for me.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Publicity & career management.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

Hink wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 12:46 am
If I have already played the guitar parts, played the keyboard parts, played the bass I feel good about my own hands on invovlement that did indeed create the music. (typically drums are jamstix and some parts for synths/samplers might be written out instead of played) I am just human, I am not great at everything especially some of the technical stuff so at that point I am quite comfortable with my musical creative input on the piece because for me that is what is all about, playing the instrument of my passion :shrug:
ftr I am not passionate about the dollar bill at all, and I really dont care how many people are listening to my music, when I finish a piece it has already given me all that I could ask for and then some
Yes, I meant more of a music creation plus production, like if you played your instruments live one by one and recorded them into a DAW and tried to arrange them into consistent track. I have no idea what your workflow is, I assumed you meant "jamming" with instruments? Could you expand on that?

I personally find jamming one of the most rewarding processes in music creation. But I only manage to do it on keys, and only very simplistic styles, like drones/ambient. But when it comes to recording it... that's where things can get tricky. In a DAW I can save and come back later to my idea.

How do you remember what you created long time ago, for example? I think you still have to write it down somehow or do you play by heart and everytime differently?
BertKoor wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 4:19 am Publicity & career management.
Haha, that's definitely could be said about everyone, it is so distracting. Lucky for me, I do not care about such stuff. But if I did, I wouldn't probably picked up music as a hobby.

Propellerhands wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 9:56 am
Hink wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 12:46 am
Yes, I meant more of a music creation plus production, like if you played your instruments live one by one and recorded them into a DAW and tried to arrange them into consistent track. I have no idea what your workflow is, I assumed you meant "jamming" with instruments? Could you expand on that?

I personally find jamming one of the most rewarding processes in music creation. But I only manage to do it on keys, and only very simplistic styles, like drones/ambient. But when it comes to recording it... that's where things can get tricky. In a DAW I can save and come back later to my idea.

How do you remember what you created long time ago, for example? I think you still have to write it down somehow or do you play by heart and everytime differently?
BertKoor wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 4:19 am Publicity & career management.
Haha, that's definitely could be said about everyone, it is so distracting. Lucky for me, I do not care about such stuff. But if I did, I wouldn't probably picked up music as a hobby.
please keep in mind I am 63, I started with an instrument...jamming is a lot of things, if I am with people it is just really improvising and having fun, if I am alone it's creating ideas or just plain savage amusement. I will take a synth, lock an arp or a sequence on it with the foot pedal and just take my guitar and jam over that.

I record tracks individually saving guitar for last because I love playing, a lot of songs take forever to finish because I love playing so. My songs like many I am sure evolves over time.

Again, I am from the old school, I spent decades learning songs by playing to the records. I record a lot, I'll even record a scratch pad idea, just a riff or two to remember and damn if after 51 years of playing guitar and copping other's songs off of recordings I sure hope I would be able to do the same with my recordings. :hihi: This is a good example, this has been on my soundcloud page for 11 years, recorded in a few minutes and saved for a later time. This started because my guitar was tuned to DADGAD and for shits and giggles I tuned the low A to a G and this came from it. It will get used eventually :)

https://soundcloud.com/hink/accoustic
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

Hink wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 5:18 pm
I will take a synth, lock an arp or a sequence on it with the foot pedal and just take my guitar and jam over that.

I record tracks individually saving guitar for last because I love playing, a lot of songs take forever to finish because I love playing so. My songs like many I am sure evolves over time.

Again, I am from the old school, I spent decades learning songs by playing to the records. I record a lot, I'll even record a scratch pad idea, just a riff or two to remember and damn if after 51 years of playing guitar and copping other's songs off of recordings I sure hope I would be able to do the same with my recordings. :hihi:
I know I am derailing my own thread but whatever. As I understand you record everything straight to audio, but do you do a continuous recordings?

For example guitar, even if you want to change melodies midway through the track, or do you record in loops? I mean, record one riff/melody for one part of a song and then again different riff for the ending etc? And then combine those recording inside a DAW perhaps into a full track as per your example below?

Either way, it sounded pretty organic, but then again, it is live acoustic guitar so of course it won't sound digital :D

making cables
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”