2022: A Year in Gear (What You've Bought or Want to Buy in 2022)

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

WatchTheGuitar wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 3:45 pm Edit: Turns out neither my normal use envelope generator (Behringer System 100 140) nor the Bitbox Micro are responding to the triggers sent from Grids properly, only one in a blue moon gets noticed. When I ran the Grids output into Boots and Cats on the Ornament and Crime (a horrible sounding 8 bit Kick and Snare emulator) it worked fine.

Long term solution may be to try and find some alt firmware for the Grids.
Sounds like the outputs either are not buffered or have a rather low voltage. Either way it probably can't be fixed with firmware. The doepfer A-183-4 is designed to solve this sort of thing, but you might get more general utility from a more versatile amplifier module such as bubblesound 8x.

If the problem is just impedance and not gain then a regular buffered mult should work to condition the output.

imrae wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 7:37 am
WatchTheGuitar wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 3:45 pm Edit: Turns out neither my normal use envelope generator (Behringer System 100 140) nor the Bitbox Micro are responding to the triggers sent from Grids properly, only one in a blue moon gets noticed. When I ran the Grids output into Boots and Cats on the Ornament and Crime (a horrible sounding 8 bit Kick and Snare emulator) it worked fine.

Sounds like the outputs either are not buffered or have a rather low voltage. Either way it probably can't be fixed with firmware. The doepfer A-183-4 is designed to solve this sort of thing, but you might get more general utility from a more versatile amplifier module such as bubblesound 8x.

If the problem is just impedance and not gain then a regular buffered mult should work to condition the output.
Yeah, I will have a play later and try that, I have a buffered mult (and gain/voltage booster) module - the Manhattan Analog MVP. Will be a shame if I have to permanently tie up another unit just to supply the sort of voltages needed not least because the MVP is a fat bastard of a module at 16hp wide. If the solution is buffered mults though then I imagine there are a lot of 2hp units out there that I can grab.

Are you safe?
"For now… a bit like a fish on the floor"
https://tidal.com/artist/33798849

WatchTheGuitar wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 11:46 am
imrae wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 7:37 am

Yeah, I will have a play later and try that, I have a buffered mult (and gain/voltage booster) module - the Manhattan Analog MVP. Will be a shame if I have to permanently tie up another unit just to supply the sort of voltages needed not least because the MVP is a fat bastard of a module at 16hp wide. If the solution is buffered mults though then I imagine there are a lot of 2hp units out there that I can grab.
Yes. :tu:

Grids is supposed to output a +5V trigger/gate. This could obviously be tested with an oscilloscope or multimeter. [2c]
I'm not a musician, but I've designed sounds that others use to make music. http://soundcloud.com/obsidiananvil

It is outputting +5v triggers, tested it in O&C, I’m thinking the issue is neither of the modules I tried to get it to trigger unsuccessfully maybe don’t like either of the Grids trigger/gate modes.

Are you safe?

Trying to find a compact 12u pop-up mixer case like this: https://www.gatorcases.com/products/mix ... a-mix12pu/
...but you know, one that isn't >$400. I usually have good luck finding this kind of thing on LA Craigslist but no luck so far.

Thomann makes some pretty affordable flight cases, they can even make custom ones to order for you.

Kinda neat, vult wicked keys... No i haven't bought one either.

https://youtu.be/tMbTwghywxw

Looks a bit like the Theoryboard concept.

Are you safe?

pekbro wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 6:48 pm Thomann makes some pretty affordable flight cases, they can even make custom ones to order for you.
Thanks for the suggestion! I'll have to check the depth, but this looks perfect!
https://www.thomannmusic.com/thomann_po ... k_case.htm
The hinge/latch hardware looks a little crumby but I'll mostly be using it in the studio, so build quality isn't paramount.

justin3am wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 10:02 pm
pekbro wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 6:48 pm Thomann makes some pretty affordable flight cases, they can even make custom ones to order for you.
Thanks for the suggestion! I'll have to check the depth, but this looks perfect!
https://www.thomannmusic.com/thomann_po ... k_case.htm
The hinge/latch hardware looks a little crumby but I'll mostly be using it in the studio, so build quality isn't paramount.
Don't know anyone with the molded cases, but reportedly their metal type cases are a bargain,
even with shipping to the states. They have a US branch as well, so maybe shipping would not
be much of a factor for you. :tu:

Reading the Vult blog, apparently they're under the impression that the Novation Launchpad isn't velocity sensitive... the Pro mk3 as well as the X are both velocity and pressure sensitive.

It's a neat concept, but the issue where you have to fully press the key to get the second switch to trigger so it can measure velocity, might make it feel a bit unintuitive. And I bet it's an expensive build too.
Last edited by foosnark on Fri Sep 30, 2022 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

foosnark wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 1:08 am Reading the Vult blog, apparently they're under the impression that the Novation Launchpad isn't velocity sensitive... the Pro mk3 as well as the X are both velocity and pressure sensitive.

It's a neat concept, but the issue where you have to fully press the key to get the second switch to trigger so it can measure velocity, might make it feel a bit unintuitive. And it bet it's an expensive build too.
Yeah, cost seems like it would be a lot these days. Hopefully he's using those 50 million keystroke keys anyway. :lol:

justin3am wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 5:24 am
Constructed Identity wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 10:00 pm The loopop video on this used a matrix mixer that had 1/8 inputs and I wouldn't like that at all however so I don't know what I would get or what the final setup would look like.
Pladsk Matrise or Herbs and Stones’ Pathways have 1/4” i/o. I usually prefer to use a small mixer with 4 or more sends, for effect distribution, like that.
Yea, pretty mind boggling what you can do with just a 4x4 grid! I would want to get a summing mixer and a power conditioner as well because I would want to end up with a stereo mix.
My M4 works as a summing mixer for 4 inputs and I used one with pro3, one with odyssey, and the other two with Prologue. Have also used the alt outs for a send to the fusion box :!:
I should record something this weekend.

I’m on the last pre-order for a Avalon and I’m also on the Osmose preorder once then two turn up I think I might call it a day,
Cirklon turned up last week after being on the waiting list 4 years, I guess I must have a waiting fetish as I waited a year or two (I forget) for the S2400.

Does anyone have any hands-on experience with the Korg SQ-64? It’s discounted to $199 and I’m trying to see if it’s worth picking up at this price, considering the extra CV outs vs just using my existing gear and mid.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”