reFX Nexus 4:5 - the ROMpler opens up

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Nexus

I never thought I'd see the day. The release last year of Nexus 4.0 was the dampest of all damp squibs, a few new patches and cosmetic changes for a $99 upgrade. Now comes the free update 4.5, and it's like it's a new synth. In fact, it's like it's a SYNTH!

The public reaction - and I strongly suspect sales figures - to 4.0 was so dire I think reFX realised they had to up their game in order to survive. And this is the result.

https://youtu.be/7MH5oi5CaEo

The whole architecture has opened up to fully access the wavetables, samples and oscillators and all the associated controls. There's the mod matrix, filters and envelopes. There's a new routing / mixer page for quick edits, an FX page with drag and drop re-ordering, a new black hole reverb (noting Eventide's product has now achieved the status of Auto-tune or Hoover as a branded term so ubiquitous it becomes short hand for everyone), exporting of ARP patterns to a DAW, right click midi learn and 70 new presets.

Can you start with an Init and build a complex patch from scratch? Still not sure, but it's clear you can do vastly more than you ever could. That immediately leads on to another big unanswered question - could people make and sell third party libraries? There used to be a strange very small sector here which reFX clamped down upon. I suspect this will continue, which will cause gnashing of teeth. Is there even a mechanism to save banks of user patches and transfer them to other users?

There's likely still an omission or two, AFAIK there's still no multi-out. And clearly it will never be a synth for pure programmers, many on KVR will shrug. But for those who like the Nexus instant hit but want to get right in to make things their own, this will be highly useful. Maybe even the ARPs and SQs will be more useful in that with DAW drag and drop you can easily change the melody around root note progressions to make it more useable.

I think this is as close as we'll ever come to reFX saying the word they never use - "sorry".

This is a "soft launch". My upgrade price from 3 is £110 (partly due to the terrible exchange rate). with the Christmas sale not far away I'll wait for that.

EDIT - some answers on patch creation and selling thanks to FigBug.

Q Can you create a patch from scratch?
If you go the the ... menu in the toolbar, load preset template, there are 9 blank layouts you can start from. From those you can build your own patches. You can build your own synth patch (virtual analog/wavetable, but not sample based).

The editing is mostly opened up, but you still can't add / delete oscs, add / delete layers, change samples. Everything else you can edit.
Q Can you make and sell third party patches?
Save a bunch of user patches, move them into a folder, get the user to copy that folder into their content folder. As long as you aren't distributing reFX samples, I don't see why that wouldn't be allowed.
This method works just fine in Nexus 3, it's just that nobody seems to be doing it (for good reason up until now). I just did a test on my PC using Nexus 3. The user folder is pretty well hidden here:

Users/Public/Public Documents/reFX/very long random letters/user presets.

I simply copied my test patch, then put it into a new XP Test folder I created alongside all the others in my content drive (the main presets folder sits in a subfolder of Nexus2). Make sure the folder name begins with XP.

This means that third party banks really should be technically possible, but I think folks will need to be careful they don't use any samples in the patches, or any existing melodies etc in arps.

FULL DETAILS
New

Added "ROM Extension 4" expansion to showcase some of the new features.

Added "Routing"-page (replaces "Effects", "Trancegate" and "Layers" pages).

Added complete routing overview of the entire preset.

See which generators route into which layers, and which layers route into which FX-groups.
Quickly and directly adjust basic parameters directly from the routing page.
Added generator-inspector.

Parameters of individual VA-oscillators, sample-players, and wavetable-players can be adjusted.
Added layer-inspector.

Two filters, amp-settings, adsr-curves, etc. can now be directly edited.
Added FX-inspector.

The FX have been moved into FX-groups. Multiple layers can now route into the same FX-group to save CPU.
FX can be freely arranged via drag'n'drop, even between FX-groups!
You can add, remove, toggle all existing FX.
All FX-groups have their own LFOs and routing-matrix.
Added new reverb-type called "Black Hole".

Added new insert FX "wide mono". Creates a mono signal and then widens it using psychoacoustics techniques.

Added "random preset load" button (the die next to the previous/next buttons). Click on it and it loads a random preset from the list on the right. Very cool to get some surprising presets you may have not heard before.

Added "hold" button. Once engaged, it keeps on playing all notes until you press a new set of notes.

The brightness of the keyzone-note indicators now depends on the velocity of each key.

Added ability to change the number of key zones.

Added "depth" parameter to both user LFOs. They are modulatable via the mod-matrix as well.

Changes

Moved instance-settings and preferences to the "backside". Click on the reFX/Vengeance logos.
The whole UI now has more of a "hardware"-look.
Shimmer effect is a bit more pronounced now.
Arp-parameters that have no effect for that mode or tempo are now visually disabled.
Replaced cloud-sync with adjustable user-data path (configurable in the cloud app).
Fixes:

Shimmer for the ArtsAcoustic reverb-types was very noisy.
macOS: Ableton Live disabled automation lanes when NEXUS was used as an Audio Unit and the project was loaded.
Improved stability and general bug-fixes
Last edited by noiseboyuk on Thu Sep 29, 2022 11:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.sound-on-screen.com
W10, i7 7820X, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2023 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 13
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

Reposting the same question here.....

Can someone confirm if all the new features work with older expansions (that were written for Nexus 2/3)? If you can finally 'edit' presets I'll definitely upgrade from v3

what would be cool to have a random function which randomizes layers, fx etc. (selectable) with all presets in your library instead of loading a random preset.
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

Amazing update indeed. Going to try it out tonight if possible and try to check out and let you know on some things you have asked.

Perhaps you want to edit the title a bit to Nexus 4.5.

If this turns out ok, I may upgrade my nexus3
Ableton Live 11,Push 3/Deepmind 12D, Roland VT4, TR-8S, Roland Fantom 06, Zoom MS-70CDR

Just when I think 'ok, refx are trying to make up for their past questionable actions', they go and hike yet another 10% onto their prices to coincide with the update. I'll not be updating from V3 unless theres a sale.

m-ac wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 8:51 am Just when I think 'ok, refx are trying to make up for their past questionable actions', they go and hike yet another 10% onto their prices to coincide with the update. I'll not be updating from V3 unless theres a sale.
10% back off in December! Whoo!

Maybe it will be a slightly bigger discount, who knows. But I don't mind paying if it's something worth paying for, which this time it is.
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

noiseboyuk wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 9:00 am
m-ac wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 8:51 am Just when I think 'ok, refx are trying to make up for their past questionable actions', they go and hike yet another 10% onto their prices to coincide with the update. I'll not be updating from V3 unless theres a sale.
10% back off in December! Whoo!

Maybe it will be a slightly bigger discount, who knows. But I don't mind paying if it's something worth paying for, which this time it is.
Haha. Fingers crossed it's 20% off so we can get back to only paying 2021's full price. :help:

That will depend on exchange rates which are fluctuating widly
Ableton Live 11,Push 3/Deepmind 12D, Roland VT4, TR-8S, Roland Fantom 06, Zoom MS-70CDR

Yeah, i always find it interesting that businesses seem to ignore a currency fluctuation when its doing well, but at the first sign of it losing strength they can't wait to increase prices. When's the last time you remember one of these devs reducing the price of a particular currency? Yeah, I can't either.

Exactly what I was thinking :help:
Caine123 wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 8:44 am what would be cool to have a random function which randomizes layers, fx etc. (selectable) with all presets in your library instead of loading a random preset.

Added info into the OP from FigBug regarding creating patches from scratch and selling third party libraries.
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

Watch out with updating! (im on Win 11)

I lost all my custom Favorites, Arps, Presets, Folders etc etc
Luckely i have backups, and multiple machines and macbooks, but still...

Im not sure how to backup the Favorites etc in Nexus 4 before updating, but i suggest you find out or wait for a fix.

idiotto wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 3:03 pm Watch out with updating! (im on Win 11)

I lost all my custom Favorites, Arps, Presets, Folders etc etc
Luckely i have backups, and multiple machines and macbooks, but still...

Im not sure how to backup the Favorites etc in Nexus 4 before updating, but i suggest you find out or wait for a fix.
Windows:

In N4 they were stored in: C:\Users\Public\Documents\reFX\nexus
In N4.5 they moved to: C:\Users\Public\Documents\reFX\User Content\nexus

Mac:

In N4 they were stored in: /Users/Shared/reFX/nexus
In N4.5 they moved to: /Users/Shared/reFX/User Content/nexus

Installing N4.5 via the cloud should move them to the new location and set the path so Nexus knows where to look. The idea is you can move them to Dropbox, Google Drive to get them to sync between computers instead of using the reFX sync.

A few users are reporting they didn't move. Did you uninstall 4 before installing 4.5? Can you let me know if the new content folder exists and if there is anything in it?

Return to “Instruments”