Crackling/Popping noises while watcing video on YouTube or using DAW

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

When nothing helps try one of those (or similar) https://m.thomann.de/gb/behringer_microhd_hd400.htm
It helped me not only with "hum-problems' in different situations and locations
rabbit in a hole

ogedayinanc wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 8:53 pm A quick update on here: I did what Uriel and mgw38 said too. Then I change ram slot, made ssd more secure in it's place, using different power cables. Nothing changed.

Then I realise that my Motherboard has 4 USB 3.0 and 2 USB 2.0 so everytime I was trying USB 3 ports. I put my M Audio M track cable to USB 2.0 port. And now it's good, IF i don't move my mouse. Because the crackles are still happening while I'm moving the mouse.

I tried another mouse(no name 2$ mouse) and the crackles are gone! It's like a joke...

So now the only thing I need is being able to use my Logitech G203 to fix the problem completely.

Anyone with idea of how can I reset the mouse(mouse driver etc.)?
I guess I can now confirm that the issues I've encountered and my remedies are definitely Intel (8th gen onwards) specific.

I'm assuming you've already put everything running in MSI mode (PCI) instead of line-based (ISA) where possible. If you have also changed any of the interrupt priority, I recommend putting them all back to the default undefined.

Have you tried disabling USB3 in the BIOS then? And make sure you connect to a USB2 port that is furthest away from the USB3 ones rather than one that's next to each other. This is to ensure there's no EMI from the USB3 ports in the event your motherboard design is poorly shielded. Also, put your G203 and your audio interface each on a different USB controller, if possible. You can verify that in Device Manager in devices by connection view.

If that still didn't fix it, according to the product page, the G203 transmits 8x more data (per second) than a standard ($2) one so with that in mind the problem could be the USB bus of your motherboard is not well designed to handle very high amount of data or maybe you have a defective board which you could try to RMA then, or get a totally different board. If that's not possible, then the last solution is to use a different mouse for DAW work and only use the G203 for gaming.

The motherboard will make or break a DAW build, especially more so in laptops like the DPC latency plagued Dell XPS13 for example which musicradar keeps recommending....

I tried all 8 usb ports and still the same. I also download the application of the mouse and lower the polling rate from 1000 to 125 which reduced the problem hugely. And because it effects the crackles the problem has to be something with interrupt priority. So I go to MSI Utility but i don't really know what to do in there. So here is the screenshot of the MSI Utility tool.
ss.png
I'm assuming you've already put everything running in MSI mode (PCI) instead of line-based (ISA) where possible. If you have also changed any of the interrupt priority, I recommend putting them all back to the default undefined.
Seems like something like this can help but I think I should be careful about this utility tool because there is a risk of BSOD and a full system recovery. So more precise instructions would be very much appreciated.

I had no idea that motherboard can effect this much when I was building this PC...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Well, now every mouse is generating the crackles equally. When moving over GUI elements or while making adjustments on EQ there is serious amount of crackles. But the problem is not related to mouse anymore(since i changed the polling rate to 125hz on my logi g203). And also every usb port has same amount of crackles(including the ones in the front of my computer). It must be something about priority. Still I'm open to every different solution too.

ogedayinanc wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 11:44 am I tried all 8 usb ports and still the same. I also download the application of the mouse and lower the polling rate from 1000 to 125 which reduced the problem hugely. And because it effects the crackles the problem has to be something with interrupt priority. So I go to MSI Utility but i don't really know what to do in there. So here is the screenshot of the MSI Utility tool.
ss.png
Seems like something like this can help but I think I should be careful about this utility tool because there is a risk of BSOD and a full system recovery. So more precise instructions would be very much appreciated.

I had no idea that motherboard can effect this much when I was building this PC...
Based on that screenshot, you got everything running in MSI mode already except for your onboard HD audio. You can either put it in MSI mode by ticking the box, click Apply and reboot; Or if you will never use it then just disable it in your BIOS. The other 5 PCI Express device that have their boxes unticked are already in MSI mode so you can just leave it as it is, or you can tick them anyway to quell any OCD urges.

Personally from experience, I find it better to just leave all the interrupt priority as undefined as Win10 seems to do a good job at handling it already so you can just leave everything as it is. The BSODs will only occur if you switch the mode of your SATA controller.

The number of USB ports doesn't matter, your board only has 2 USB controllers. Have you verified that you're able to connect the mouse and your audio interface to each of the separate controllers? Only then maybe you could try putting the controller's interrupt priority that the mouse is connected to to low and the other controller that your interface is connected to to high. Maybe that might help but don't put your hopes up as like I said the OS already does a good job at handling interrupts in MSI mode.

Interestingly, your controllers has 8 IRQs assigned to each. Most systems including mine only has 1 IRQ per controller. Maybe it's a AMD chipset thing? Don't know if that matters.

Screenshot 2021-02-28 002742.png
This is my system for reference. I've 4 USB controllers (dotted in red) but as you can see I've actually connected all my USB devices onto a single controller. :lol: That's because I'm using an external USB hub as a dock and luckily there're no issues, except only 1 time when I daisy chained another hub to it! Btw, you're not using any external hubs right?

If you have to put your G203 all the way down to 125 then you might as well just use another normal mouse and be done with it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

AMD 500 series chipsets got some USB issues and some B450 users also reported issues too:
https://www.anandtech.com/show/16498/am ... nnectivity
https://www.reddit.com/r/AMDHelp/commen ... 0_aorus_m/
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/win ... 4b54f7e679
Official AMD reddit on the issue:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/l ... 00_series/

I suggest you read through those links and see if you can find any solutions in there that can help your situation. Yikes. I had high hopes for AMD.

Everything in my previous post is probably not gonna help.

Have you tried changing the windows power plan settings to high performance?

I had some crackles at times with audio while playing sounds in ableton live and the issue went away after changing the power settings to high performance. You're situation sounds worse than what I was dealing with, but I'm not sure if you've tried the power plan solution.

Hello everyone, finally i got the problem solved! :party:

I was struggling with it so long that i can't count how many times i wanted to take apart and burn the computer. :bang:

- BIOS update for new AMD AGESA ComboV2 1.2.0.1 PatchA - No Change
- Updated Chipset drivers - No Change
- Changed power plans for everything possible - No Change
- Changed sample rates in windows sound settings to every possible option - No Change
- Increased/decreased Voltages/frequencies of cpu/ram - No Change
- Tried different P States in BIOS - No Change
- Disabled Core Performance Boost - No Change
- All of the other potential fixes written in this topic - No Change

But i kept researching and trying, and here is the solution for me (and hopefully for some other people who is facing with the same issue :pray: ) :

- Download MSI Utility V3
- Open it as Administrator
- In MSI Utility V3 uncheck the MSI box of the USB 3.0 and USB 3.10 drivers
- Problem is gone.

I give it one day to write this post for being sure that it's not coming back. And i'm so glad that there is not even a single crackle since then.

For ones who is interested, here is the simplified reasoning:

Line Based Interrupts are the classic way of receiving data input. In this mode, incoming data from connected devices are received by computer in a line based order. MSI(Message Signaled-based Interruptions) mode is a newer protocol for data interrupts, which specifies a certain memory access to each individual input device.

In theory MSI sounds like a better technology especially in lowering the latency but when the processor can't manage the given memory access correctly for the input devices, it's causing interruptions.

Here is the screenshot of my MSI Utility screen:

Msi utility fix.png

Thanks for everyone who tried to help. I felt your support and eagerness to solve the problem. Well appreciated, thank you for once more! :hug:

Interesting. I have a similar issue and would like to try it out on my pc. But I can´t find a download link for MSI Utility. Any help appreciated, Thanks

Here is the link for MSI Utility V3

http://www.mediafire.com/file/ewpy1p0rr ... 3.zip/file

Great job on finally figuring it out!

I suspect it's an AMD chipset design issue having 8 IRQ assigned per USB controller instead of 1 on Intel chipsets and by switching them over to Line Based mode you managed to reduce the assigned IRQ to only 1 just like how Intel is.

Despite running them in Line Based mode now, there doesn't seem to be any IRQ sharing at all so all should be good for you. MSI mode is mainly for solving the old IRQ sharing problem that might exist in the traditional Line Based mode so you really aren't missing out on anything in this current config.

You should also post your solution on the official AMD reddit to let others know about it.

EDIT:
If you have the time and don't mind messing with it a bit further, you can try setting them back to MSI mode and set their max limit to 1 and see if that also works.

Hi guys ! I've got same issue on ASUS Motherboard. Anyone knows how to fix it ? Please...Spent 2 weeks to solve it and no success. Should i do the same as on the picture ? Uncheck usb 3.1 and 3.0 ?

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”