The Studio Log - What Did You Do In The Studio

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
RELATED
PRODUCTS
PatchAdamz
KVRAF
Topic Starter
11769 posts since 13 Nov, 2012

Post Thu Sep 29, 2022 8:30 am

Mixed a new tune....

Like the tune but realize it has to be mixed differently so back to the drawing board.

justin3am
KVRAF
11983 posts since 7 May, 2006 from Southern California

Post Thu Sep 29, 2022 8:52 am

Figured out a short term solution that doesn't require running an extension cord through the crawl space. :phew:
Glad I won't have to worry about popping the breaker during a session!

I was planning to start shooting some synth related video soon but I'm starting to think it would be better if I just wait until they are done doing work on the house. That'll give me more time to rehearse and flesh out the ideas. I might come up with some other topics in the meantime too. Just gotta remind myself to have some patience, take it slow, do it right. :oops:

cryophonik
KVRAF
8681 posts since 7 Sep, 2006 from Roseville, CA

Post Thu Sep 29, 2022 8:55 am

Spent about five hours getting familiar with my new PolyBrute!!! Got so caught up in it that I never got around to updating my Syntakt or Digitakt (maybe tonight, unless I get lost in the PB again :) )
Logic Pro | Prophet 6 | PolyBrute | Prophet Rev2 | Polar TI2 | Novation Peak | Sub37 | Slim Phatty | Minitaur | SE1X | AR4mk2 | RYTMmk2 | Syntakt | Digitakt | Digitone

WatchTheGuitar
KVRAF
11257 posts since 30 Apr, 2019

Post Thu Sep 29, 2022 1:38 pm

Same, but with my new Wavestate. Did my first multisample preset with Korg Sample Builder using some samples I had kicking around and it's a very, very basic tool, just set the files against a virtual keyboard key range, start and end points and a +12DB boost if you need it. Rudimentary, but seems to do the job. I don't think I've got any actual multi-samples with different volume levels per note to know if that aspect works.

Also didn't update my Digitakt or Digitone. Too many toys, not enough time ;)

"I'm over here, just a lonely turd floating in a pickle jar by myself. Is that how this works?"
https://tidal.com/artist/33798849

Shabdahbriah
KVRAF
8958 posts since 19 Jun, 2008 from Seattle

Post Fri Sep 30, 2022 10:06 am

Thought about opening my closet to retrieve a couple of MIDI routing things to photograph and tease the fond/not-so-fond memories of all of you older than 50 types. But... not today. (yawns) no. no, not today.
I'm not a musician, but I've designed sounds that others use to make music. http://soundcloud.com/obsidiananvil

PatchAdamz
KVRAF
Topic Starter

Post Fri Sep 30, 2022 9:46 pm

Got sick so I threw myself into creating and mixing this tune:

viewtopic.php?t=587441

Ambient guitars and synth....

Feeling a little better from the experience.

foosnark
KVRAF
6486 posts since 9 Jan, 2003 from Saint Louis MO

Post Sun Oct 02, 2022 7:25 am

Recorded a thing. Used a bit too much noise (that voice sounded great on its own, but a little too much mixed with other parts). Liked the take and didn't want to do it over again. So I dipped the EQ there, and then added another noisy part over its top. Strega through Peradam. Problem solved swept under the rug.

cryophonik
KVRAF
8681 posts since 7 Sep, 2006 from Roseville, CA

Post Sun Oct 02, 2022 9:52 am

Spent (still spending) hours trying to figure out the MIDI CC list for my updated SE-1X so I can update my template for my ReMote SL. :bang:
Logic Pro | Prophet 6 | PolyBrute | Prophet Rev2 | Polar TI2 | Novation Peak | Sub37 | Slim Phatty | Minitaur | SE1X | AR4mk2 | RYTMmk2 | Syntakt | Digitakt | Digitone

PatchAdamz
KVRAF
Topic Starter

Post Sun Oct 02, 2022 11:15 pm

Still working despite illness, I think being in a musical state is a good medicine.

WatchTheGuitar
KVRAF

Post Tue Oct 04, 2022 4:30 am

Playing around with a new (secondhand) hats module (Erica Synths Hats A) and realised that I could make quite a lovely bass noise if I took the straight output of my Graphic VCO and the subbass and ran them through different filters with different LFOs affecting their resonance/frequencies. So, about ten minutes playing with the hats module I just bought and an hour playing with other shit I've had for ages. Standard.

"I'm over here, just a lonely turd floating in a pickle jar by myself. Is that how this works?"

donkey tugger
Boss Lovin' DR
10450 posts since 15 Mar, 2002 from the grimness of yorkshire

Post Thu Oct 06, 2022 10:17 am

Smoking Singing.

justin3am
KVRAF

Post Sat Oct 08, 2022 6:16 pm

Had a great tracking session this afternoon. I used my portable rig for the first time in a while. Nothing super complex, just two singers with acoustic guitars, but I think the recordings came out nicely.

foosnark
KVRAF
6486 posts since 9 Jan, 2003 from Saint Louis MO

Post Mon Oct 10, 2022 6:21 am

Frankensteined together several parts from multiple takes, on what was going to be a bass guitar drone with a simple synth part over the top. It got reversed to where the bass (with a drastically slow spring reverb wobble, some plucks and scrapes and EBow) was the main feature and the synth part was a pad. So I recorded another pad take to go with that. Then I overlaid some other parts from previous tracks, which has been kind of a thing with this album project. It came out nice and creepy.

justin3am
KVRAF

Post Tue Oct 11, 2022 9:56 am

I used to mostly work with studio musicians who wanted to hear little from me other than "recording!" and "Is that the take you want?".
Recently I've been working with musicians who are either recording for the first time or being recorded by someone else for the first time and it's a much different experience. I'm finding it worth while to sit with them while they play their song/part, without all the mics set up or even in a different setting. That way, I can get a better impression of what their performance should sound like when they are comfortable.
I'm also working on how I phrase suggestions and criticisms, because if I'm not careful, these folks will get hyper focused on what they think they're doing wrong. My aim is to get the best performance possible, so making them feel like they aren't being recorded is increasingly my approach.
It requires more engagement than I'm used to but it's been very rewarding to have a client come in very nervous, then become increasingly at ease as we work together. :)

WatchTheGuitar
KVRAF

Post Thu Oct 13, 2022 2:54 am

Trying to turn noise into different types of percussion just realised that the Ripples filter clone has an inbuilt VCA which makes it super easy to apply a filter envelope.

I have got a weird thing in Reaper. I use a Flame uQMCV to pass master clock from the DAW to everything in my modular that needs clock (at least everything that understands clock), but it only kicks in when I send MIDI from a loop the second time through so I have to play through a dummy bar of MIDI looping out to the uQMCV and if I then turn the looping off the clock keeps being sent fine. Without the looping nothing gets sent.

Used Bitwig tonight and it sends the uQMCV the clock fine straight away so just a quirk of Reaper by the look of it. Tonight I was playing around with Arpitecht and you can get some fun patterns out if you start applying complex modulation to a number of the inputs like Note, Rhythm and Slide Time. I may even have the start of a track. Been a while, too busy fiddling with things to make actual music with it recently.

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”