Studio One 6

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Studio One Artist Studio One Professional

gentleclockdivider wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 10:06 pm
jamcat wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 8:57 pm

PreSonus has continued their tradition on focusing on real music production and have once again left the toys at the kiddie table. That's bound to upset some people, but there are already plenty of toy DAWs for them to play with.
You should have chosen a fancy font for your elitist smug post
I looked for that, but you can only change font size, style, and colour. :shrug:

But I wonder, how is it 'elitsit' that I like Studio One for what it is?
I'm using the right software for what I want to do.

I would suggest the people who aren't happy with what Studio One offers are using the wrong DAW. That's not a 'smug' attitude, it's a Studio One attitude. There's lots of DAWs out there for people who don't share it.
Last edited by jamcat on Thu Sep 29, 2022 11:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

jamcat wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 11:05 pm

PreSonus has continued their tradition on focusing on real music production and have once again left the toys at the kiddie table. That's bound to upset some people, but there are already plenty of toy DAWs for them to play with.
I looked for that, but you can only change font size, style, and colour. :shrug:

I would suggest the people who aren't happy with what Studio One offers are using the wrong DAW. That's not a 'smug' attitude, it's a Studio One attitude. There's lots of DAWs out there for people who don't share it.
I really don't understand why you always have to be so aggressive and rude with people around here.

Uncle E wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 10:13 pm ...
In terms of professionality, fader flips is a big improvement.
If one uses sends at all... I absolutely don´t find any use of sends in most electronic genres... far too unflexible and at the very end... what for???
Saving CPU??
Shouldn´t be an issue for most modern machines anymore... the real CPU killers are instruments and not any fx plugins anymore...
Putting sounds into the same space??
What was used as classical send effects are in electronic genres now often part of the sound design and mostly set to work just for this certain sound... therefore to unflexible...

Conclusion... what a waste of time (for me) to implement something like this ... :hyper:
While I won´t deny there are for sure many conventional producer using Studio One, for whom this might be a biggie... 8)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Disclaimer: Just my personal thoughts about this update and it´s presentation!
Read on your own risk... :lol:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I find this update pretty lame as some others here...
Once Presonus were incredible innovative before but for me they completely lost their bite and absolutely failed with the last 2 major versions...
There are so many little shortcomings since many years that never got adressed ...better for them to think a little bit about housekeeping... and I don´t mean some silly options to show or hide this or that button...
If somebody has really issues whether a single button is shown or not has many other problems which can be for sure not be solved by a DAW update...

The plugin updates... hmmm, if you have no ideas anymore you start to fiddle a bit around with some old plugins...
Is there any serious music producer out there who don´t have already a collection of dynamic EQ´s??
When were dynamic EQ´s the big thing?? 10 years ago?? Presonus is perhaps a bit late to the party... and trying to sell this in the promo video as the innovation of the century and "...this is my prefered way to work from now on..." is hard on the edge of taking the p*ss

Gregor, da haste Dir mal so richtig einen geleistet! :clap:

The Vocoder... hmmm I think there are enough better options out there ... if I compare this thing to what was implemented into Bitwig...or Vocodex inside of FL Studio or even better Reason BV-X then I don´t know if this is really something promotionally effective in a positive sense...
This would have been a good plugin in 2005 but nowadays... :cry:

A Deesser... wow... now that´s really worth the upgrade price...! Not that you get a deesser in every free plugin bundle which will most likely do the job as good as this one...

Smart templates... seriously???
Who said here something about the kids and some toys???

Channel overview window?? For me nothing I will ever consider to mess around with...
Absolutely useless for my workflow...

Better Video track... nothing for me...but ok, if somebody needs it...why not!
Global Lyrics support... again nothing for me...but ok...I can understand that some will be happy about this...
Track Presets... copycat from Reaper/Cubase (and perhaps some others) with less functionality (no timeline content available from what I´ve seen) ...again ok... for sure this will be helpfull for some people while something very very similar was already there since long time...
Saves perhaps a little bit of time but on the other side isn´t a huge biggie...

Advanced collaboration with Sphere... aaah... was there any update in the last 2-3 years which didn´t improve something about Sphere integration...
I wish they would be so diligent when it would be about some older issues...

I am sorry, but for me there is really nothing positive to say...
It´s really sad to see what happens to this great product... and I really hope people will let them feel it that they should be a bit more serious in their work for the next try!

I remember a promotion video from Joe Gilder who said to make Sphere successful they really have to deliver... sorry Joe... since that point everything got worse and more lame...
For sure nothing I would rate as "deliver"...

aMUSEd wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 8:33 pmIndeed! Boring update and way overpriced
I think there is some handy stuff in the upgrade, but no upgrade is worth $150. If it was $79, I wouldn't even have bothered looking at what is in it, I would have just paid my money. $150 requires some radical, big new features that I can't live without.
jamcat wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 8:57 pmPreSonus has continued their tradition on focusing on real music production and have once again left the toys at the kiddie table. That's bound to upset some people, but there are already plenty of toy DAWs for them to play with.
I think it is a reasonable observation. Somebody else talked about musicians but a DAW is not for musicians, it's for producers. That's why Joe Gilder does as many videos as Gregor. I think Joe is probably the guy Presonus believes speaks to their core audience.
Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 10:21 pmMaybe BONES is right and there's just less to implement, but other DAWs still find ways to impress with each release.
There's no "maybe" about it, buddy! But I find it a lot more compelling than any recent paid Cubase upgrade (which is why I am still on v10). It is only the upgrade price I have issue with.
Sinisterbr wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 11:13 pmI really don't understand why you always have to be so aggressive and rude with people around here.
He's not rude, he just expresses his opinions without fawning. You little f**king girls don't know what aggressive is.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 12:37 am I think there is some handy stuff in the upgrade, but no upgrade is worth $150. If it was $79, I wouldn't even have bothered looking at what is in it, I would have just paid my money. $150 requires some radical, big new features that I can't live without.
$115 any good to ya' ?
If you have any of their coin things you can drop the price a bit more

https://www.bestservice.com/studio_one_ ... pdate.html
Say NO to CLAP!

BONES wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 12:37 am
Sinisterbr wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 11:13 pmI really don't understand why you always have to be so aggressive and rude with people around here.
He's not rude, he just expresses his opinions without fawning. You little f**king girls don't know what aggressive is.
Yeah, we gotta disagree here. I think it's completely rude and unnecessary.

Like I said in the other thread I always find I funny how people don’t know how Presonus operates by now but get disappointed anyway. Presonus is not big feature with every release type company. They don’t add toys just to add toys. S1 is a pretty no frills DAW and that seems be the philosophy or mantra Presonus developers stick with.

S1 v5 is good update but it took until 5.5 to get there. The initial release had the same level of disappointment people have now. I’m surprised people aren’t noticing a pattern. They’ve pretty much operated this way since version 3.
Studio One // Bitwig // Logic Pro X // Ableton 11 // Reason 11 // FLStudio // MPC // Force // Maschine

No, you guys need to harden the f**k up and not act like precious little princesses all the time. I don't find Jamcat rude at all, he just speaks plainly. It's actually quite refreshing.
jinotsuh wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 1:07 am$115 any good to ya' ?
That's better but I think I'll upgrade Artist first, for $38, and see what's doing there before I decide what Pro is worth to me. At the moment, Artist is working perfectly well for me so I could see myself using it on both my computers going forward.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

I just watched some videos and I am a lot more impressed now than I was. The mini-view for effects is awesome and the fader-flip seems handy, too, as does the double-click for a big slider in the mixer.

ProEQ 3 looks really, really good with the new dynamic mode with sidechain. The new panning modes look interesting but I didn't get much of a sense of how useful they might be.

Even the new features in the Start Page look very handy, given that I am usually dealing with 80+ songs in the recent files list.

OTOH, the customisation is pretty limited, especially as I don't ever compartmentalise my work. i.e. I would never need a separate layout for mixing or instruments or audio because I do all of those things together. I don't see much use for the templates, either, although watching that video alerted me to the fact that Studio One has a step-sequencer, which I didn't even know existed.

I think there is more than enough there that has to be part of Artist to justify $38 so I've upgraded that license. From there I can evaluate the benefits of upgrading my Pro license, although that might wait for a decent sale price.

Well my only issue with 5 was the video support, so I am happy with this new release. :) Is it safe to assume that the upgrade price will be lower during Black Friday? Should I wait till that?

tonedef71 wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 8:22 pm Fender Musical Instruments Corporation made their presence known at the very end of the new Studio One 6 video.

They didn't pay millions to pretend they don't exist.

If I said you are blocked, I won't see your posts. Please kindly refrain from quoting or replying to me.
"Notifications for Nothing" are annoying. Blocking me in return is a good way to avoid this.

jinotsuh wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 1:07 am
BONES wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 12:37 am I think there is some handy stuff in the upgrade, but no upgrade is worth $150. If it was $79, I wouldn't even have bothered looking at what is in it, I would have just paid my money. $150 requires some radical, big new features that I can't live without.
$115 any good to ya' ?

Thta's too much. This is less than a Cubase 0.5 Update, and Steinberg sells those for $60. Even the Cubase "Upgrades" have more than this, easily, and they're only $100.

This for $115 is laughable. For $150 it's kind of an insult.

If people want Fender to develop a good development plan moving forwards, paying Upgrade prices for Updates is absolutely not the way to set the precedent you want to guide them.

If I said you are blocked, I won't see your posts. Please kindly refrain from quoting or replying to me.
"Notifications for Nothing" are annoying. Blocking me in return is a good way to avoid this.

Sinisterbr wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 11:13 pm
jamcat wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 11:05 pm

I really don't understand why you always have to be so aggressive and rude with people around here.
Not only smug and rude, but cultish AF.

"That's not a 'smug' attitude, it's a Studio One attitude."

LMAO. I can't even...

So...

- no automation improvements
- no modulation features
- no FX plugin input for instruments
- no major updates / upgrades on stock plugins (just an exclusive Vocoder plugin for Pro version)

Yeah..no for me yet.

- don't care
- don't care
- don't care
- NOT TRUE.

The ProEQ upgrade is massive. Autofilter has also had a few improvements, plus they've added mini-view for 3rd party plugins. And there is a new de-esser as well as the Vocoder.
Trensharo wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 4:39 amThta's too much. This is less than a Cubase 0.5 Update, and Steinberg sells those for $60. Even the Cubase "Upgrades" have more than this, easily, and they're only $100.
The difference is that since Presonus last asked for money, Cubase has had three paid upgrades, so either way you have paid out $150 to stay up to date. And I don't think the cumulative features of all three Cubase upgrades are worth any more than what's offered here.
If people want Fender to develop a good development plan moving forwards, paying Upgrade prices for Updates is absolutely not the way to set the precedent you want to guide them.
I think this is well and truly an upgrade. We've seen the difference with the handful of free updates we've had for v5. You also have to think that we'll also get worthwhile updates for free with v6, so even if you don't see the value in upgrading right now, that equation might change with v6.3 or 6.4. I've never known Steinberg to add anything to Cubase without putting their hand out for money. Their point releases are purely bug-fixes in my experience.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”